User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Saving

Default Saving

I used to write in a journal a lot as a teen and into my early 20s (I'm 27 now). A combination of narration and FEELINGSSSS. It was something I enjoyed doing and that seemed like a good way to sort of decompress at the end of the day. Also recording a personal history is kind of emphasized as part of the religion I grew up in. I have a pretty big box in my closet filled with all of the different journals I ever wrote in. From time to time I've gone back to read through one or two and remember something like an experience I may have forgotten or something like that, but usually they just sit there.

I still write occasionally in a journal, but not nearly so much.

I am starting to get to the point that I feel a strong need to get rid of anything that I don't use or that doesn't have a function in the foreseeable future. I kind of feel as though they have fulfilled their purpose and just want to chuck the box and free up that space in my closet, but I wonder if it's the kind of thing I will regret. I have only regretted throwing away 1 or 2 things. Usually I don't regret it at all, but this could potentially be more meaningful.

What would be the value of saving it?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

I know my mom would tell me I should save it, but she has a problem with saving too much stuff. A lot too much.

MBTI
    intp

What do you lose by keeping it?

Hm. Space I guess...? Clutter and too much stuff just makes me a little anxious I guess.

I ended up going through a major purge today. Got rid of some stuff, reorganized a bit. My closet is working better. Also I talked to my sisters and they pointed out that those are irreplaceable, which is true, and that they show my development as a person... also true. So I guess I will save them for awhile at least.

I would save them. I regret not keeping journals in the past, I'd find them interesting and useful now. If you ever have kids, they might love a way to learn more about you. I'm curious what my parents were like when they were younger. I'm a purger by nature...my unrealistic dream is for everything I own to fit in the back of a pickup truck. But I'd make room for that. If you're concerned with space, you could make a project of transcribing them or scanning them and keeping them digitally.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Artwork & stuff I've written is just about the only thing I save with any consistency (and tax info....arrgh!). I tend to get the urge to chuck stuff otherwise, and rarely regret it either.

I guess I'd ask if the times you went back to read some of it were significant? Did you really enjoy it or find it insightful? Even if you don't do it often, if those rare occasions were significant enough, then they may be worth saving. If you feel "meh" about it, then just toss it. Maybe give it a week & see if the itch is still there.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

At some point, I simply burn mine. But then, I journal with the purpose of dispelling a lot of personal negativity; it's not an interesting narrative of my life like some folk's journals are. So, this is the rule of thumb I use: if I don't want anyone else to read it, ever, I burn it. And the time isn't predestined, at some point I just seem to decide those chapters are closed. Kind of harsh sounding, I realize, but rather cleansing too.

If you decide to save them for heritage, I think that's admirable btw. Such things are irreplaceable, so I don't necessarily think my way is the right way for you. Just thought I would share though.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I used to write in a journal a lot as a teen and into my early 20s (I'm 27 now). A combination of narration and FEELINGSSSS.
    i write in journals too. i have stacks and stacks of journals.
    digital formats offer no comparison. i love the tactile. and
    even if i don't take them out very often, there's something
    fantastic about the ritual of dusting off the covers, untying
    red satin ribbons that tie them up in stacks and leafing
    through old pages and cringing and laughing at what was
    written.

in terms of keeping things: i have three rules:
    1. i don't throw away journals.
    2. i don't throw away anything that i've published.
    3. and i don't trash/ruin/burn/destroy film/photos.

i have a crazy complex organisation system involving
    lots and lots of stackable compartments. that i just
    hide at the back of my closet.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    At some point, I simply burn mine. But then, I journal with the purpose of dispelling a lot of personal negativity; it's not an interesting narrative of my life like some folk's journals are. So, this is the rule of thumb I use: if I don't want anyone else to read it, ever, I burn it. And the time isn't predestined, at some point I just seem to decide those chapters are closed. Kind of harsh sounding, I realize, but rather cleansing too.

If you decide to save them for heritage, I think that's admirable btw. Such things are irreplaceable, so I don't necessarily think my way is the right way for you. Just thought I would share though.
    WOW burning. intense. My boss was mentioning how he and his wife were cleaning out their house and they came across their love letters from when they were just getting to know one another (!) and how they read through them and just chucked them, like why would you even keep that? I was a little shocked, but that was before I got really in depth into the nitty-gritty of working with my mom on her house and truly began to understand the very very negative side of over-saving.

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i have a crazy complex organisation system involving
    lots and lots of stackable compartments. that i just
    hide at the back of my closet.
    Where did you get the compartments? Do you sort it by year? I might try to organize them better.

Does anybody still write? I write from time to time now, but not nearly as much.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Where did you get the compartments? Do you sort it by year? I might try to organize them better.

Does anybody still write? I write from time to time now, but not nearly as much.
    i love the hard pulp cases and the tin boxes at muji:
    http://www.muji.us/store/household/storage.html

i split them up by types, i'm fairly consistent in what kind of
    notebooks i use: i love love those one subject spiral notebooks
    if i'm scribbling at home, drawing pads for different media,
    fotos: split for film/digital prints. and in the last 6 years i've
    been using an insane amount of moleskines.

and the most important box: shit i haven't sorted out yet.
    i knew i had to have something i can just dump stuff in.
    and i'll just deal with it later. heehee.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken