• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Questions Concerning Feeding Racoons

Savage Idealist

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, after reading those articles (as well as the advice of others) I'm definitely not feeding those raccons ever, especially with all the cute neighboorhood cats and kids around my local area, I'd certainly wouldn't want to endager them because of a reckless action on my part.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Yeah, after reading those articles (as well as the advice of others) I'm definitely not feeding those raccons ever, especially with all the cute neighboorhood cats and kids around my local area, I'd certainly wouldn't want to endager them because of a reckless action on my part.

I think you should feed the raccoons.

...to the bears! :D

black+bear.jpg

OrionzRevenge

MBTI Type
INTP
http://www.tn.gov/twra/rabies.html
Raccoon strain rabies is a strain of rabies carried mainly by raccoons. Raccoon strain rabies is still rabies. It is spread to other wildlife species, domestic animals, pets and humans through the saliva of an infected animal in the same way as other strains of rabies. The only difference is that it is spread primarily by raccoons.

Raccoon rabies was virtually unknown prior to the 1950s. Florida experienced the first case of raccoon rabies. The disease then spread slowly during the next three decades into Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina. In 1978 Virginia experienced an outbreak of raccoon strain rabies due to the translocation of raccoons from Georgia and Florida. The first cases appeared in West Virginia and Virginia in the late 1970s. Since then, raccoon rabies in the area expanded to form the most intensive rabies outbreak in the U.S.

The strain now occurs in all the eastern coastal states, as well as Alabama, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia, Ohio, Maine and even southern Ontario.

Raccoon strain rabies was first documented in Tennessee in June, 2003. Four positive cases were discovered in raccoons in Carter County and one positive case was found in a feral cat in Johnson County. A second occurrence of raccoon strain rabies was discovered in January, 2004. Seven raccoons tested positive for raccoon strain rabies in Hamilton County.

The United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Service, Wildlife Services launched an oral rabies vaccination program in 2002. The goal of the program is to stop the westward spread of the raccoon strain rabies. Oral rabies vaccine has been distributed by aircraft in East Tennessee. Following distribution of the oral vaccine, active rabies surveillance has been conducted in the baiting zone. The following is a list of counties in the baiting/surveillance zone: Anderson, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Cumberland, Franklin, Grainger, Greene, Grundy, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Loudon, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Polk, Rhea, Roane, Scott, Sequatchie, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union, and Washington Counties.

Pinker85

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the flower post or here.

sandychapman.jpg

Labelled on webpage "The Raccoon Blossom!"

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
When I was very little we saved a baby racoon from dying, and although it wasn't a 'pet' it was very at home around humans.. Most racoons, however, are not. Especially if they haven't been handled from birth, they can be very territorial, and a nice gesture can be turned into an awful things. Racoons are sort of like bears when it comes to feeding them.

If you DO want to feed them though, I suggest throwing the food out into the woodlines far away from your home. I also suggest brushing them away if they get too close to your home. THey're resourceful and also selfish--they don't know that 300$ electrical line they're chewing on will set your house on fire.

What my dad used to do is set up a milk jug cut in half and nail it to a tree.. Then he'd go out periodically and put deer corn in it and sit back and watch through binos what animals came to eat it. Doing something like that where the food comes from a particular location might be your best bet.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't do it ... there's a friend of the family who is all gushy over animals and gave not only her scraps but got my mother to give her scraps, too, for the racoons, and those racoons were HUGE and would climb the stairs to her patio and bang on the patio door, which was off the kitchen/dining room. Scare the crap out of you, you hear this BANG BANG! and turn around to see a big ol' raccoon with its paw over its eyes, peering in. She finally had to call animal control.

sculpting

every night something creeps up on the porch and eats the catfood. It never makes any noise but the dog always goes totally nuts.

Me and the littliest INTJ have many theories about the animal. We think it may be an alligator or perhaps a dinosaur that lives at the bottom of space, but is very careful not to make a mess when it eats the cat food.

Sometimes, being he is an INTJ, he says "mommy..it isnt REALLY a dinosaur is it?" and I have to say it maybe a racoon or an opposum, but it's more fun to pretend it is dinosaur, and then we both plan ways to catch it or ways to build camaras so we can take pictures of it eating food...

sculpting

another good racoon story..

We had a family of racoons at another house that often ate the cat food. One evening my husband opened the door to take out the garbage and the biggest racoon ever was sitting on the porch eating out of the bowel surounded by her half grown little cubs. Sitting next to them was our really stupid cat. So the momma racoon looked up at my husband and he closed the door-we then peeked back out and watched the mom split the food up between the cat and the cubs. She would take a few pieces and place in piles away from the main bowl and the cat would patiently wait for her to give him his pile and he would eat it. They were all very chill about the arrangement...