First 1234 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Yeah, after reading those articles (as well as the advice of others) I'm definitely not feeding those raccons ever, especially with all the cute neighboorhood cats and kids around my local area, I'd certainly wouldn't want to endager them because of a reckless action on my part.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Pretend they are all underage teens and just say no.
    They'd still be way too tempting though.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

RESIST THE URGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Yeah, after reading those articles (as well as the advice of others) I'm definitely not feeding those raccons ever, especially with all the cute neighboorhood cats and kids around my local area, I'd certainly wouldn't want to endager them because of a reckless action on my part.
    I think you should feed the raccoons.

...to the bears!

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    RESIST THE URGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    It's too damn powerful!

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I think you should feed the raccoons.

...to the bears!

Grand idea! (those bears are soooo cute, I want one as pet )

MBTI
    INTP

http://www.tn.gov/twra/rabies.html
    Raccoon strain rabies is a strain of rabies carried mainly by raccoons. Raccoon strain rabies is still rabies. It is spread to other wildlife species, domestic animals, pets and humans through the saliva of an infected animal in the same way as other strains of rabies. The only difference is that it is spread primarily by raccoons.

Raccoon rabies was virtually unknown prior to the 1950s. Florida experienced the first case of raccoon rabies. The disease then spread slowly during the next three decades into Georgia, Alabama, and South Carolina. In 1978 Virginia experienced an outbreak of raccoon strain rabies due to the translocation of raccoons from Georgia and Florida. The first cases appeared in West Virginia and Virginia in the late 1970s. Since then, raccoon rabies in the area expanded to form the most intensive rabies outbreak in the U.S.

The strain now occurs in all the eastern coastal states, as well as Alabama, Pennsylvania, Vermont, West Virginia, Ohio, Maine and even southern Ontario.

Raccoon strain rabies was first documented in Tennessee in June, 2003. Four positive cases were discovered in raccoons in Carter County and one positive case was found in a feral cat in Johnson County. A second occurrence of raccoon strain rabies was discovered in January, 2004. Seven raccoons tested positive for raccoon strain rabies in Hamilton County.

The United States Department of Agriculture, Animal and Plant Health Service, Wildlife Services launched an oral rabies vaccination program in 2002. The goal of the program is to stop the westward spread of the raccoon strain rabies. Oral rabies vaccine has been distributed by aircraft in East Tennessee. Following distribution of the oral vaccine, active rabies surveillance has been conducted in the baiting zone. The following is a list of counties in the baiting/surveillance zone: Anderson, Bledsoe, Blount, Bradley, Campbell, Carter, Claiborne, Cocke, Cumberland, Franklin, Grainger, Greene, Grundy, Hamblen, Hamilton, Hancock, Hawkins, Jefferson, Johnson, Knox, Loudon, Marion, McMinn, Meigs, Monroe, Morgan, Polk, Rhea, Roane, Scott, Sequatchie, Sevier, Sullivan, Unicoi, Union, and Washington Counties.
    "The only real valuable thing is intuition." Albert Einstein
    "My mind seems to have become a kind of machine for grinding general laws out of large collections of facts." Charles Darwin

MBTI
    ISFP

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the flower post or here.

Labelled on webpage "The Raccoon Blossom!"

MBTI
    INTP

Feeding wild animals is never justified.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

When I was very little we saved a baby racoon from dying, and although it wasn't a 'pet' it was very at home around humans.. Most racoons, however, are not. Especially if they haven't been handled from birth, they can be very territorial, and a nice gesture can be turned into an awful things. Racoons are sort of like bears when it comes to feeding them.

If you DO want to feed them though, I suggest throwing the food out into the woodlines far away from your home. I also suggest brushing them away if they get too close to your home. THey're resourceful and also selfish--they don't know that 300$ electrical line they're chewing on will set your house on fire.

What my dad used to do is set up a milk jug cut in half and nail it to a tree.. Then he'd go out periodically and put deer corn in it and sit back and watch through binos what animals came to eat it. Doing something like that where the food comes from a particular location might be your best bet.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Don't do it ... there's a friend of the family who is all gushy over animals and gave not only her scraps but got my mother to give her scraps, too, for the racoons, and those racoons were HUGE and would climb the stairs to her patio and bang on the patio door, which was off the kitchen/dining room. Scare the crap out of you, you hear this BANG BANG! and turn around to see a big ol' raccoon with its paw over its eyes, peering in. She finally had to call animal control.