Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    Appreciate them from a distance with your camera as you have been doing.
    Indeed, will do.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

You also might want to read this article about urban raccoons who killed ten cats. Raccoons if hungry enough will take down cats and dogs. They also often carry rabies, at least in the city.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14486644...re-not-afraid/

The city that I live in has quite a dense raccoon population. A friend heard screaming and snarling on her porch one morning, rushed out and found her cat cornered by a raccoon. Thank goodness she'd forgotten to put away the broom she swept her porch with the prior day, since she picked it up and used it to get rid of the raccoon. And even then, the raccoon would have attacked her had she not had the broom. Our guess was that it was rabid.

MBTI
    INTP

Yikes! I always thought raccoons were adorable, but if they go after housepets, they're going down.
    Something Witty

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm personally against feeding wild animals, because it messes them up bigtime and does more harm than good.

But if you insist on feeding, then it's best to scatter it around and not directly feed them, and let them find it. I mean that way they won't at least run up to any human they see for foo...*SPLAT*.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Better not to feed them. When I was in Vancouver recently I saw raccoons waltzing around in broad daylight in busy parts of the park, and I'm sure it had a lot to do with feeding. In a way it was nice to see them but it was messed up too. As a child growing up in that part of the world, I only saw them very occasionally, in flashes - the reflection of eyes at night, or running like heck in the day. They are nocturnal. Things seem to have changed...

I would leave them to their own devices. I see urban foxes sometimes where I live in London, so far only in the dusk or at night. They are probably a nuisance (though not to me as I live in an apartment) but it gives me a thrill. Their wildness and the simultaneous curiosity and indifference towards humans. Your raccoons will get along fine, I just hope they don't make a nuisance of themselves.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Definitely not ok. They are more opportunistic and once fed, they'll know it's an easier source of food / will start targeting human establishments searching for food. They may eventually come to depend on it, and may become more aggressive. Also, if they become more prolific/nuisance-ish, rooting through garbage cans, they're then viewed as vermin by the general populace and could be mistreated by people who don't hold the same regard for wild animals as you do.

It's setting them up for badness all around; in addition, the food you're feeding them may be much 'unhealthier' for them than what they'd get out in the wild. Also, food more readily available = likely increase in population and density, which could increase disease as well as aggression, etc etc.

This goes for any wild animal.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

There's a reason they wear black robber masks. They're related to bears, and they think they're as big and as scary as their cousins.

Once while camping, they stole our bag of tortilla chips at night when our back was turned. When I charged at the pack of 10 or so of them, a few of them charged back at me! A flashlight revealed that I was surrounded by glowing eyeballs in the woods. They kept me awake most of the night munching on chips right outside the tent. I nearly resorted to giving them the salsa too!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

So everyone agrees that this would be a terrible, terrible idea.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Pretend they are all underage teens and just say no.