User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

I can't see me really needing much... a couch maybe? A kitchen table and some chairs? All easily accessible secondhand.
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Great if you don't have much standards! I found myself to be pretty picky .

I searched for ages and ages until I found the perfect chair. Couldn't care less about the rest though.

As for saving up a few months of rent, depends on your financial stability I suppose.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It depends if you have a rock solid job, what your safety net is like (parents/family/friends, how close distance-wise are they, how close relatinship-wise are they, i.e. how much help could you realistically expect if you suddenly had no income), and what your risk-taking level is.

With a rock-solid job I'd probably be ok with having enough to pay all expenses for a couple months, plus first/last months. With no job or unstable job I'd probably go at least 6 months and preferably more, but I'm very reluctant to get help from anyone so YMMV if you're willing to crash on couches or etc for a few weeks if you need to. You never know what will happen, though. I like to think about the worst cases, like losing job or having a house fire or something, and think of what I would do financially and otherwise in those cases.

and not to harp on the same thing again, but especially with used couches or anything unholstered, and also wooden furniture that goes in the bedroom, there's a big bedbug risk. It's a big problem in toronto (like most big cities) and it's seriously a nightmare to go through/attempt to get rid of. Although with an apartment odds are you'll run into them sometime anyway, I wouldn't do anything to increase the chances.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

This is a good point, I've heard about a bedbug issue in Toronto...but I don't know much about them or how to get rid of them :/
    What sorts of things do you look for when scouting an apt to know if it has critters or not?
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

MBTI
    INTP

I'd start with a check list of household items you will need. Cruise around your parents house room by room and make a list: it's amazing what you don't have when you first move in. Start stacking this kind of stuff up - helps prevent CC shock.

The next thing I'd do is make a prioritized list of what it you want in an apartment. Most likely you are going to compromise the first time out so decide what is MOST important. It will help you narrow down your choices. Also if you have friends in the city (or even if you don't) visit and check out the neighborhoods to see which ones give you the right "vibe".

Have fun!
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My first thought is that if you want to live in downtown TO, completely rejecting the idea of roommates may not be very realistic, unless you have plenty of money to fall back on or a really good job.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Malice View Post
    This is a good point, I've heard about a bedbug issue in Toronto...but I don't know much about them or how to get rid of them :/
    What sorts of things do you look for when scouting an apt to know if it has critters or not?
    You won't see anything in an empty room since they'll be in the other apts or in the walls. They're extremely good at hiding which is why they're such a pain in the arse to get rid of. I'd probably just ask both the previous tenant and the landlord if you're able to, or even the neighbours, if there've been any bedbug problems recently.

Depending on your immune system the bites might not be visible/noticeable at all or they might be OMG THE WORST UNCONTROLLABLE ITCH IN THE FREAKING WORLD FOR 2+ WEEKS (like they are for me ) but either way the bugs are a huge pain to get rid of. You have to wash and dry all your clothes with heat, ruining some of them. You have to extensively vaccum all the things. You have to disassemble all the things. You have to collect all the clutter things, and then figure out how to decontaminate them without wrecking it. Then you get the house sprayed with nasty chemicals that smell for weeks afterwards and are probably bad for you. Then you do it all over again if it didn't work, while cranky from horribly itchy bites. It took 5 sprayings for us, spread over maybe 6 months.

All that to say, I now don't buy used furniture for the most part - certainly not anything upholstered. As much as I could desperately use a couch, and don't want to pay for a new one atm.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

- Ask the neighbors what THEY like and dislike about the place.
    - Find out if the prices they're asking for match up to the amount of services/upgrades they offer, and if THOSE match up to neighboring areas
    - It's good to look for things like water damage signs, funky doors hanging, tiles loose or cracked, etc. It's a sign the apartment complex doesn't keep up with maintenance, and that all goes down hill from there.
    - Check the parking situations. A lot of times I had to park nearly half a mile from my own apartment because the parking was SO bad in my complex. I never bothered to check.
    - Make sure you read EVERYTHING in the contract closely. They tried to slap me with a fee because I "Didn't give them 30 day notice that I was moving out".. I told them when I FIRST bought the place I would Only be there for a year. I told them, "Last time I checked, 1 year later is still before 30 days before I move." They couldn't really do anything against me after that.
    - Don't settle right away. Make sure you've looked everywhere you can look for all the potentials. EVERY Place makes it sound SO urgent for you to move in... But unless you have a friend giving you the inside scoop, don't listen to them and take your time on finding the right place.
    - Also, I don't know about the area you live in or anything.. but ask about how they help clear snow, or help stop floodings, etc. Weather makes a huge difference if you have to run 300 ft. to your car in the rain with food you dont want to get wet.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Ginkgo

Cool. I've known a few people who were absolutely clueless as to how to take care of themselves after moving out. One kid got food poisoning from trying to store pizza in his closet. Another only knew how to make microwave meals.

Something tells me you shall surpass them with flying colors.

MBTI
    ISTx

Good luck, Malice!

-beat/ignite