Thread: Bookcases!!!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Bookcases!!!

All right, my finances are low and I need to find places to put all the books I brought with me.

Can y'all share and/or brainstorm cheap and/or makeshift ways to present and store books in your home? i wasted an hour last night on the 'net looking around and just couldn't pick up anything useful, really.

Creativity and flair is good, ambiance is also important. (I.e., no cinderblocks... unless you can find a neat way to cover them up). And some of the books are those 12" suckers, so I need taller space for them.

If you won't do it for me, do it for all my books who are currently homeless and living in squalor.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

If finances are a concern...second hand stores such as GoodWill or Salvation Army can offer a relatively inexpensive solution. If you are at all handy, a bit of cosmetic work is all they need to be tolerable. Estate auctions are also good...but a long wait if the item you covet is at the end of the bidding...

Much of the cheap partical board cases readily available at a low price cannot support anything but paperback books. I have yet to find any servicable bookcases at the typical bargain stores...

I have not examined products from Ikea...I am sure others have though.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Those invisible ones are cute.

Of course, I'm not supposed to be screwing hardware into the walls. (The landlords might have a cow.)

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, blah on landlords! Screw hardware into them.

Sigh. Nevermind, I guess. Goodwill's a pretty good option, or Target has some real wood bookcases I think.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Oh, blah on landlords! Screw hardware into them.
    hmm.. i will need a good supply of band-aids first.

Or maybe I can just have them HOLD my books?

Sigh. Nevermind, I guess. Goodwill's a pretty good option, or Target has some real wood bookcases I think.
    They do. I really liked the $99 espresso colored wooden ones they have for sale, I was very impressed with quality vs price.

It's just the money thing. Sigh. Might have to bite the bullet and get 1-2 of them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Hmm. I'd check secondhand stores first, before spending that kind of green on Target bookcases.

Or maybe you could build some? Or try an unfinished furniture store?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Not sure where you're located, but here in NY they have spring cleanup week in about a week or two from now, where everyone throws out all their useless old crap. I got my bookshelves from some ladies front yard last year, and all it took was some clean up and a fresh coat of paint.

Free is always the best option when you can get it.

MBTI
    INFP

Here is a nice bookcase for $20 from Ikea.