• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geoff found some more waterfalls

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
A couple more for enjoyment from my welsh break. Happy H 2 0 to the waterfall fans out there :

2374291937_bfe47e8f3e_b.jpg

2374930418_a116350286_b.jpg

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
In the second picture, I really like the light in between the trees in the background. In the first, the high angle perspective really, really, REALLY does the picture justice. It's my favorite of the two. In both pictures, the lines of the water are so strong and white, almost like spun web.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Glad you all liked!

Here's another waterfall as a thankyou. It's a further shot of second one above.

2374960632_96eb5d9f6a_b.jpg

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Wow, the sunshine is gorgeous. Oh! You can see the blue really well in the water this time; I didn't notice it being so obvious last time. God, this waterfall's beautiful. How it flows is just lovely.

Sorry, I can't really comment on the technical skill it takes to take a shot like this. I only took one semester of photography in high school, but I do own a $200 SLR camera (bought with my own money, when I had a job). What settings did you use for this shot? Did you use different settings for the other ones? Did you even use an SLR?

MBTI Type
INTJ
More than anything, these pictures just make me want to BE where they were taken. I've always thought that if I had the means, I would insist on having my home in a place where a stream like that ran through my grounds.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Wow, the sunshine is gorgeous. Oh! You can see the blue really well in the water this time; I didn't notice it being so obvious last time. God, this waterfall's beautiful. How it flows is just lovely.

Sorry, I can't really comment on the technical skill it takes to take a shot like this. I only took one semester of photography in high school, but I do own a $200 SLR camera (bought with my own money, when I had a job). What settings did you use for this shot? Did you use different settings for the other ones? Did you even use an SLR?

Yep, a digital SLR. It's a Canon 300D. In this picture, paired with a 17-40L piece of Canon L glass (wide angle zoom), nearly at full wide angle - 21mm. F22 for 1/5 second (so a small aperture, longer exposure to get water blur). There is a circular polariser fitted. On a tripod with a remote release to avoid camera shake.

Shot in raw and then finished in adobe lightroom as follows :

Cropped to pick up focal points in a more pleasing way.
White balance as shot in camera.
Auto-toning of image.
Exposure reduced slightly to avoid blow out of highlights.
Medium boosts to clarity and vibrance (that's what brings out the water colours)
A little fill light to bring out shadows lost by reducing exposure
Some dust-spot corrections to remove one small annoying branch in view
Finally a preset landscape-sharpening before closing the image.

I know that sounds complicated, in reality it's a couple of minutes of clicking on some standard lightroom stuff for working with raw images.

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
I remember looking at some digital SLR cameras online; really freaking expensive, but pretty sweet too.

I was pretty sure you'd used a trick to make the water blur; otherwise, it would have looked naturally more rough. Nice job! If I ever get back into photography, I'll know who to consult with.