• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moving to L.A. area later this year - Good neighborhoods/towns to live in?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Legal immigrants are great! Illegals aren't.

I say, "If you wanna work, come on in. If you wanna be lazy and suckle the teat like a lot of Americans do already, get out and take those Americans with you. Enjoy white sandy beaches with no money."

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ (last 1.5 page of posts)

:huh:

Dude, you guys will fit riiiiigght in. :dry:

Have you ever seen "Falling Down"?

As an immigrant myself, this is why I like CA and consider it home. I bring the flava! Hahahahaha.

I noticed some people get really weird and paranoid when they hear people speaking different languages that they themselves don't speak. When I go the generic American supermarke down the street, it's likely I will hear at least 5 languages spoken, and I'll only understand at most 2. Walking around running errands, I can hear up to 9 languages being spoken and I routinely do business with people who have modest English speaking skills. This is actually one of the reasons I was well suited to my first job as a census taker.

Unless you are a super polyglot or one hell of an ethnic hybrid, you can't expect your surroundings to always be familiar or cater to your particular sensibilities. I'm not saying this is what you guys are saying, but especially in SF, I notice a lot of people from out of state move here and complain that it's not like "back home" (read, midwest, east coast) or like whatever hipster Gen-X movie they saw and wished to emulate (btw, NYC or Seattle are much better choices for that).

They especially resent the fact Asian Americans, immigrants, and people of color in general make up such a big chunk of the population and their latent xenophobia comes out swinging full force. All they had to do is wiki sf demographics and would have known they wouldn't like it here. If you check craigslist or even Yelp, you'll see a lot of the paranoid complaints of newcomers and locals complaining bitterly about the newcomers complaing bitterly.

Also, I think there are many misconceptions of 'illegals'. There are a lot of people who are undocumented workers and many more whose visas have lapsed or only have visitors or student visas but work under the table. They aren't just manual laborer, though if you've ever eaten out (not just ethnic, or hole in the wall) or bought clothes made (in a sweatshop in) America or ever had work done on your house, it's likely you can thank an 'illegal' for it.

This also reminds me of my gorgeous Filipina friend who met her boyfriend in LA. People gave her dirty looks because they assumed she was an 'illegal' and was only with her white boyfriend for a visa. But she was the American born US citizen and he was the illegal, a UK citizen on a lapsed student visa. He stayed in the country for years illegally and later married another Asian-American woman (partially for the greencard methinks).

And yadda, yadda, yadda. Just some more perspectives on the topic.

BTW, Los Angeles (and San Diego, San Dimas, San Carlos, San Jose, Corona Del Mar, Santa Clara, San Francisco, etc.) is a Spanish name. Points if you know why! :holy:

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
:huh:

Did I stop this thread with my hippie rant? I sincerely hope not because I like hearing all the questions and comments about So/Cal :yes: And especially my opportunity to answer! :holy: + :yes: x 2 = ME

Here's another one -- move to SoCal and you can eat at In-N-Out Burger, Roscoe's Chicken n' Waflles and all other kinds of yummy fast food. You don't have to eat like a rabbit or aspiring actress just because you move to SoCal. Though I noticed SoCal has the highest number of food delivery services, including Raw Foods (c'mon :thelook: that means SALAD), Atkins, Zone, gourmet vegan organic macrobiotic, etc. Oh, and you can also eat at Pinkberry!

So keep posting!

:popc1:

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
Did I stop this thread with my hippie rant?
There's no response to such stunning ignorance. Seriously, if you think illegals benefit southern California you need to find out a little more about it.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I'll be sure to ask my neighbors about it.

And I'm sorry Skip, I had no idea you were an expert on the topic. You should preface your post next time to let us know you're an authority or at least do us a favor and put your credentials in your signature so we know better than to disagree with you and embarass ourselves.

Because otherwise, it just sounds like an opinion. :huh:

Go figure!

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I like people of all races. In fact, I have dated women across a very wide racial spectrum, too. No Mexicans thus far, but I am sure that I will rectify that in Los Angeles. ;)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am bumping this thread, because I want more info about my future home. Any restaurants I should check out? What are the best movie theaters? Preferred beaches (i.e., one that you can get in the ocean without fear)? I want more info.

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
I thought it was only INTP's with the endless need for information but that's only to make the right decision. I thought you were already committed to come out here? I don't know if there's really a difference in the multiplexes. I personally don't like The Grove (Fairfax dist) or The Archlight (Hllywd) because they're more expensive and have assigned seats. I hate being committed to sitting next to people [read:loud or kids] that I would normally avoid. Those places are great when I get free passes but otherwise I go other places.

There are other places that have maybe 1-3 screens throughout LA that play smaller indie pix but it's more a matter of what movie is playing where as opposed to picking the theater. In some cases even a foreign language film might be put up in an arthouse as well as a multiplex.

Wow, I hadn't checked out the thread before it petered out the first time. Hard to think of food now that my stomach has turned. Try a pastrami burrito from Oki Dog.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am definitely committed. I just am not leaving for 5 months, and I don't know where I will be moving exactly.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Selfishness, bar none. It creates problems that wouldn't exist and exacerbates existing ones 10 fold.

Oh, I'll fit right in, then. . . Actually, I am very giving of my time and effort with people, but I tend toward the megalomaniacal. I better get into the industry fast, huh?

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I hear South Central (now known as South Los Angeles) is a great place to stay :smile:

*Thinking of Mercury going down in a classic Hood drive-by* :popc1:;)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
UPDATE:

I have found an amazing place in the good part of Hollywood, and I will be moving the end of this month. I will be missing the L.A. area meetup :cry:, but I am finally getting started with my career. Thanks for all the help!

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's not in Boys Town is it?

Congratulations on a successful move and good luck with the new job. :)

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
Hi,

Haven't read ALL the previous replies. If I repeat anything- mah bad!

If you're thinking about Echo Park, one of my ex's used to live out there. Not a bad area. Friendly people. Great joints! Nice view of downtown L.A. Plus, it's close to the Sunset Blvd. strip. Night life out there is FUN! I think the housing would be somewhat affordable, depending on what's particularly important.

Other than that, in my experiences, L.A. drivers (and people) are/were MUCH friendlier than the folks from where I live. Even in the more ghetto parts- so long is respect is shown, the people are friendly/nice back (Compton is a totally different world though- I feel bad, but no-exaggeration it is really is run down due to lack of poor financial funding). Other places you might want to visit if you do move out to L.A. are the Fairfax District, Santa Monica, CA market (?- Flower Market, Fashion District, Little Tokyo).. check out Zagat for good eateries. (Oh- don't forget to stop by Pink's Hot Dogs- Yup Yup- delicious if you're not a vegetarian)!..

600 Hundred Dollar Bum in S.F.?? LoL. So true. BEAUTIFUL place/EXTREMELY friendly people out there though. I Love it!