• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Moving to L.A. area later this year - Good neighborhoods/towns to live in?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
No offense but dude you really gotta be a wuss to make a statement like that. lol

Does it get down to 25 degrees Fahrenheit? No? Then it's not too cold! And I'd trade some chilly days in the winter for sunshine and a lack of humidity. The summer in Philadelphia is starting to disgust me.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
When are you moving? I'm planning a meet-up in late summer..

Probably not until October or so. But I would definitely be interested if you do a second meetup. There is a major SoCal contingent on here, I've noticed.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I am the only redeeming quality that the city of Los Angeles has to offer, and yeah, I'm great, but still, don't do it!!!!!

Save yourself!!!!

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
No offense but dude you really gotta be a wuss to make a statement like that. lol
You can't stay out here for more than a year and not become weather soft. But that's the point. I don't wanna have to go around with a somewhat heavy coat or heat on when I drive. It's a strain on your neck to live in the Valley. Go out there in the winter and you have your shoulders hunched up to your ears, "Damn, it's cold out here!!"

spartan26

MBTI Type
INTP
Does it get down to 25 degrees Fahrenheit? No? Then it's not too cold! And I'd trade some chilly days in the winter for sunshine and a lack of humidity. The summer in Philadelphia is starting to disgust me.
I'm gonna save this quote for prosperity, 'kay?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've been here 11 years and I STILL get a kick out of people walking around with gloves and coats on when it's 50. The weather-softness never hit me.

Of course, I probably just jinxed myself.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
:raises hand:

Guilty.

It gets COLD HERE! TOO COLD!

I would how SoCal would be warmer, but I swear, I will wear a ski parka out in the spring if I need to. I think living in CA too long (especially as a kid) totally screws with your sense of temperature.

Personally though, I've always liked the heat. *sizzle*

Oh wait :doh: I thought this was the joke thread.

I'm serious though, I can't stand even the hint of cold.

Unless it's the summer and A/C is blasting so high you need to wear a sweater at work! Now THAT is what modern technology is for! I thought it had to be that refreshingly chilly to show the A/C to be working, but people on the east coast don't use it enough. I'm dying during the summer and co-workers will be hugging themselves going, 'it's so chilly'. :huh:

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
:raises hand:

Guilty.

It gets COLD HERE! TOO COLD!

I would how SoCal would be warmer, but I swear, I will wear a ski parka out in the spring if I need to. I think living in CA too long (especially as a kid) totally screws with your sense of temperature.

Personally though, I've always liked the heat. *sizzle*

Oh wait :doh: I thought this was the joke thread.

I'm serious though, I can't stand even the hint of cold.

Unless it's the summer and A/C is blasting so high you need to wear a sweater at work! Now THAT is what modern technology is for! I thought it had to be that refreshingly chilly to show the A/C to be working, but people on the east coast don't use it enough. I'm dying during the summer and co-workers will be hugging themselves going, 'it's so chilly'. :huh:

I can handle the cold, especially at night. I find it easier to sleep when it's a little on the cool side, because I am one to be under all the sheets/blankets/comforters/old quilts. :) And Philly is a mess for a good portion of winter and early spring, so the tradeoff would be a net gain, I think. The hottest month and the wettest month here are the same: July, and that is not a healthy combination. How is the cooler/rainy season in SoCal? I know you guys get only about 15 inches of precipitation a year, which is about 1/3rd what Philly gets. Is it actually "rainy" the way I would think of it in the winter and early spring? I've only seen it rain twice in L.A., both times in May. I love the weather up in Santa Barbara County. I may end up there later in life.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I got faith in you, Merc. You'll do good things if you keep up the good spirits.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I've been here 11 years and I STILL get a kick out of people walking around with gloves and coats on when it's 50. The weather-softness never hit me.

Of course, I probably just jinxed myself.
I apologize if it's been stated, I tend to skim and miss key information at times, but what is your business in LA? Do you really just "enjoy" it there?

MBTI Type
INTJ
I work in the film industry, and I would never stay here if I weren't required to for work, although I don't hate it. It has its charms, most having to do with pop culture. I enjoy the fact that I can see any movie I want here, even tiny indie releases. I like that every band comes through here and you can see many of them in their infancy. I like that you get special events where directors stay for Q&As after movies. I like that the Mexican food is outstanding :)

While I don't hate it, I do think it's kind of soulless. I went to Vancouver on business for five months a while back, and when I returned to LA I was shocked at how ugly and empty it seemed. I guess everything is a tradeoff.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
While I don't hate it, I do think it's kind of soulless. I went to Vancouver on business for five months a while back, and when I returned to LA I was shocked at how ugly and empty it seemed. I guess everything is a tradeoff.

This is very heartening... :dry:

It's interesting to get people's takes on LA. It's pretty universally expected to trash LA whereas people look at you like :thelook: if you say the same about NYC. I also think your POV will depend greatly on where you are from and where you're raised. Then again, Captain Chick was raised there and she pretty much says the same thing -- a couple times even in this thread.

I'm looking forward to the SoCal meet up (P_M maybe you should check it out?) to check out LA if I don't fly down earlier. And Toboggan Boy!!!! You should come to the NorCal (or SoCal) meet up. You can rant against hippies with Dissonance!

skip

MBTI Type
INTP
I guess one person's emptiness is another person's freedom. It's one of the things I like best about L.A. You're can do and be and live however you want (if you're trying to exist within the Hollywood framework, that's a slightly different story).

Whether you're a part of it or not things happen in soCal and the rest of the world cares. Some will pretend like they don't, but turn on a news, entertainment, or talk show - we're all over it. People know where you live. They hear about it, talk about it, write about it, read about it, argue about it, sing about it. No one ever says, "You're from L.A.? Where's that?"

So much of what southern California offers is the best of the best. The best cuisines from around the world, the best shows, shopping, amusement parks, weather, landscapes - mountains to the sea. We set a lot of firsts: we start patterns and establish trends that filter out to the rest of the country and, through Hollywood, the world. It's an amazing mix of people, cultures, and language from everywhere around the globe, all extremes. There's just no place like it. Anywhere. It's really, really hard to move somewhere else accept second-best after living here. Anyplace else seems - what was that word? Oh, yeah: empty.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I work in the film industry, and I would never stay here if I weren't required to for work.
I never realized that. Do you enjoy it?

And Toboggan Boy!!!! You should come to the NorCal (or SoCal) meet up. You can rant against hippies with Dissonance!
I'd love to... But, I'm living in NC currently and don't see myself able to get back over there in the near future. :(

I'd tell you to fly to NC and come to the meet here but I won't even be attending. I'm too afraid of Jen. haha! jk.