User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Legal immigrants are great! Illegals aren't.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Legal immigrants are great! Illegals aren't.
    I say, "If you wanna work, come on in. If you wanna be lazy and suckle the teat like a lot of Americans do already, get out and take those Americans with you. Enjoy white sandy beaches with no money."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

If you wanna work, come on in
    Bwahahaha... wait until you're living in soCal.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Bwahahaha... wait until you're living in soCal.
    Seriously. Mexico Pt. 2.

MBTI
    INTP

They're trying.

MBTI
    GONE

^^ (last 1.5 page of posts)

Dude, you guys will fit riiiiigght in.

Have you ever seen "Falling Down"?

As an immigrant myself, this is why I like CA and consider it home. I bring the flava! Hahahahaha.

I noticed some people get really weird and paranoid when they hear people speaking different languages that they themselves don't speak. When I go the generic American supermarke down the street, it's likely I will hear at least 5 languages spoken, and I'll only understand at most 2. Walking around running errands, I can hear up to 9 languages being spoken and I routinely do business with people who have modest English speaking skills. This is actually one of the reasons I was well suited to my first job as a census taker.

Unless you are a super polyglot or one hell of an ethnic hybrid, you can't expect your surroundings to always be familiar or cater to your particular sensibilities. I'm not saying this is what you guys are saying, but especially in SF, I notice a lot of people from out of state move here and complain that it's not like "back home" (read, midwest, east coast) or like whatever hipster Gen-X movie they saw and wished to emulate (btw, NYC or Seattle are much better choices for that).

They especially resent the fact Asian Americans, immigrants, and people of color in general make up such a big chunk of the population and their latent xenophobia comes out swinging full force. All they had to do is wiki sf demographics and would have known they wouldn't like it here. If you check craigslist or even Yelp, you'll see a lot of the paranoid complaints of newcomers and locals complaining bitterly about the newcomers complaing bitterly.

Also, I think there are many misconceptions of 'illegals'. There are a lot of people who are undocumented workers and many more whose visas have lapsed or only have visitors or student visas but work under the table. They aren't just manual laborer, though if you've ever eaten out (not just ethnic, or hole in the wall) or bought clothes made (in a sweatshop in) America or ever had work done on your house, it's likely you can thank an 'illegal' for it.

This also reminds me of my gorgeous Filipina friend who met her boyfriend in LA. People gave her dirty looks because they assumed she was an 'illegal' and was only with her white boyfriend for a visa. But she was the American born US citizen and he was the illegal, a UK citizen on a lapsed student visa. He stayed in the country for years illegally and later married another Asian-American woman (partially for the greencard methinks).

And yadda, yadda, yadda. Just some more perspectives on the topic.

BTW, Los Angeles (and San Diego, San Dimas, San Carlos, San Jose, Corona Del Mar, Santa Clara, San Francisco, etc.) is a Spanish name. Points if you know why!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    GONE

Did I stop this thread with my hippie rant? I sincerely hope not because I like hearing all the questions and comments about So/Cal And especially my opportunity to answer! + x 2 = ME

Here's another one -- move to SoCal and you can eat at In-N-Out Burger, Roscoe's Chicken n' Waflles and all other kinds of yummy fast food. You don't have to eat like a rabbit or aspiring actress just because you move to SoCal. Though I noticed SoCal has the highest number of food delivery services, including Raw Foods (c'mon that means SALAD), Atkins, Zone, gourmet vegan organic macrobiotic, etc. Oh, and you can also eat at Pinkberry!

So keep posting!

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Did I stop this thread with my hippie rant?
    There's no response to such stunning ignorance. Seriously, if you think illegals benefit southern California you need to find out a little more about it.

MBTI
    GONE

I'll be sure to ask my neighbors about it.

And I'm sorry Skip, I had no idea you were an expert on the topic. You should preface your post next time to let us know you're an authority or at least do us a favor and put your credentials in your signature so we know better than to disagree with you and embarass ourselves.

Because otherwise, it just sounds like an opinion.

Go figure!

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

I like people of all races. In fact, I have dated women across a very wide racial spectrum, too. No Mexicans thus far, but I am sure that I will rectify that in Los Angeles.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"