User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 101

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Does it get down to 25 degrees Fahrenheit? No? Then it's not too cold! And I'd trade some chilly days in the winter for sunshine and a lack of humidity. The summer in Philadelphia is starting to disgust me.
    I'm gonna save this quote for prosperity, 'kay?

  2. #52

    Default

    I've been here 11 years and I STILL get a kick out of people walking around with gloves and coats on when it's 50. The weather-softness never hit me.

    Of course, I probably just jinxed myself.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  3. #53
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    :raises hand:

    Guilty.

    It gets COLD HERE! TOO COLD!

    I would how SoCal would be warmer, but I swear, I will wear a ski parka out in the spring if I need to. I think living in CA too long (especially as a kid) totally screws with your sense of temperature.

    Personally though, I've always liked the heat. *sizzle*

    Oh wait I thought this was the joke thread.

    I'm serious though, I can't stand even the hint of cold.

    Unless it's the summer and A/C is blasting so high you need to wear a sweater at work! Now THAT is what modern technology is for! I thought it had to be that refreshingly chilly to show the A/C to be working, but people on the east coast don't use it enough. I'm dying during the summer and co-workers will be hugging themselves going, 'it's so chilly'.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  4. #54
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    :raises hand:

    Guilty.

    It gets COLD HERE! TOO COLD!

    I would how SoCal would be warmer, but I swear, I will wear a ski parka out in the spring if I need to. I think living in CA too long (especially as a kid) totally screws with your sense of temperature.

    Personally though, I've always liked the heat. *sizzle*

    Oh wait I thought this was the joke thread.

    I'm serious though, I can't stand even the hint of cold.

    Unless it's the summer and A/C is blasting so high you need to wear a sweater at work! Now THAT is what modern technology is for! I thought it had to be that refreshingly chilly to show the A/C to be working, but people on the east coast don't use it enough. I'm dying during the summer and co-workers will be hugging themselves going, 'it's so chilly'.

    I can handle the cold, especially at night. I find it easier to sleep when it's a little on the cool side, because I am one to be under all the sheets/blankets/comforters/old quilts. And Philly is a mess for a good portion of winter and early spring, so the tradeoff would be a net gain, I think. The hottest month and the wettest month here are the same: July, and that is not a healthy combination. How is the cooler/rainy season in SoCal? I know you guys get only about 15 inches of precipitation a year, which is about 1/3rd what Philly gets. Is it actually "rainy" the way I would think of it in the winter and early spring? I've only seen it rain twice in L.A., both times in May. I love the weather up in Santa Barbara County. I may end up there later in life.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #55
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    I got faith in you, Merc. You'll do good things if you keep up the good spirits.

  6. #56
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I've been here 11 years and I STILL get a kick out of people walking around with gloves and coats on when it's 50. The weather-softness never hit me.

    Of course, I probably just jinxed myself.
    I apologize if it's been stated, I tend to skim and miss key information at times, but what is your business in LA? Do you really just "enjoy" it there?

  7. #57

    Default

    I work in the film industry, and I would never stay here if I weren't required to for work, although I don't hate it. It has its charms, most having to do with pop culture. I enjoy the fact that I can see any movie I want here, even tiny indie releases. I like that every band comes through here and you can see many of them in their infancy. I like that you get special events where directors stay for Q&As after movies. I like that the Mexican food is outstanding

    While I don't hate it, I do think it's kind of soulless. I went to Vancouver on business for five months a while back, and when I returned to LA I was shocked at how ugly and empty it seemed. I guess everything is a tradeoff.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  8. #58
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    While I don't hate it, I do think it's kind of soulless. I went to Vancouver on business for five months a while back, and when I returned to LA I was shocked at how ugly and empty it seemed. I guess everything is a tradeoff.
    This is very heartening...

    It's interesting to get people's takes on LA. It's pretty universally expected to trash LA whereas people look at you like if you say the same about NYC. I also think your POV will depend greatly on where you are from and where you're raised. Then again, Captain Chick was raised there and she pretty much says the same thing -- a couple times even in this thread.

    I'm looking forward to the SoCal meet up (P_M maybe you should check it out?) to check out LA if I don't fly down earlier. And Toboggan Boy!!!! You should come to the NorCal (or SoCal) meet up. You can rant against hippies with Dissonance!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  9. #59
    Member skip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    95

    Default

    I guess one person's emptiness is another person's freedom. It's one of the things I like best about L.A. You're can do and be and live however you want (if you're trying to exist within the Hollywood framework, that's a slightly different story).

    Whether you're a part of it or not things happen in soCal and the rest of the world cares. Some will pretend like they don't, but turn on a news, entertainment, or talk show - we're all over it. People know where you live. They hear about it, talk about it, write about it, read about it, argue about it, sing about it. No one ever says, "You're from L.A.? Where's that?"

    So much of what southern California offers is the best of the best. The best cuisines from around the world, the best shows, shopping, amusement parks, weather, landscapes - mountains to the sea. We set a lot of firsts: we start patterns and establish trends that filter out to the rest of the country and, through Hollywood, the world. It's an amazing mix of people, cultures, and language from everywhere around the globe, all extremes. There's just no place like it. Anywhere. It's really, really hard to move somewhere else accept second-best after living here. Anyplace else seems - what was that word? Oh, yeah: empty.

  10. #60
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I work in the film industry, and I would never stay here if I weren't required to for work.
    I never realized that. Do you enjoy it?

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    And Toboggan Boy!!!! You should come to the NorCal (or SoCal) meet up. You can rant against hippies with Dissonance!
    I'd love to... But, I'm living in NC currently and don't see myself able to get back over there in the near future.

    I'd tell you to fly to NC and come to the meet here but I won't even be attending. I'm too afraid of Jen. haha! jk.

Similar Threads

  1. Would you like to live in the world of the Ads?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-08-2011, 10:43 PM
  2. do you prefer to live in illusion or reality?
    By INTP in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 06:02 PM
  3. Oh my god, I'm so lucky to live in Seattle
    By InTheFlesh in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 09:53 AM
  4. Choosing to to live in "modes"
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
  5. What is the best country to live in?
    By JAVO in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 04-28-2008, 05:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO