User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

OK, a more important question: what are some good places to drink? And don't say "Saddle Ranch, The Standard, etc." I've done the Strip, and it's OK for what it is (some decent restaurants, and lots of places to catch concerts). What are some great corner bars, beer bars, maybe even a (gasp) cigar bar in L.A.? I already know about The Shack, which I imagine is where I will catch Eagles games on Sundays, if I am not more than like an hour away from Santa Monica.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

What kinda places do you like to drink at, and where exactly are you?

I like to hang out at Rene's in Santa Monica occasionally. It's semi-outdoors, the dress is casual but semi-artsy, but not so artsy that you feel like you're being judged in a pair of jeans, the alcohol is well-priced, and the music is rock/indie. It's dead on weekedays (except Tuesday which is 2 for 1) but pretty happening on Friday and Saturday. Sunday is live music.

Good luck at the Shack. That place is harder to get into than Fort Knox during an Eagles game. I tried going when I moved here and discovered that most tables are reserved for regulars. I managed to get in twice, but I was tired of the hit/miss ratio so I moved on.

Some bars I like are:

Hollywood -
    The Well (great jukebox, strong drinks, looks scene-y but doesn't feel it)
    The Frolic Room (dive that's had the same bartenders for 40 years...one of those places where you'll see guys in suits, college kids and used up alkies all at the same time)
    Cat And Fiddle (great English pub with an awesome patio...also the occasional Ron Wood sighting)
    The Rainbow (closest thing to a normal bar on the Sunset Strip...cool and funky, and lots of history if you like rock)

The Valley -
    Firefly (cool Studio City bar that's like some rich guy's leather and dark wood covered private library)
    Cozy's (totally pedestrian for the most part, but live blues every night and I can walk to it)

West LA -
    The Daily Pint (best selection of English beers and Scotch I've seen in the US...too bad I don't drink Scotch)
    Molly Malone's ("Irish" bar where it's all about Guinness on tap and local bands)
    Cinema Bar (Culver City dive with good bands, cheap beer and a decent patio)
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Yankee Doodles on the 3rd St Promenade in Santa Monica is some place I'm sure would show Eagles games. It's big and has tons of TV's. Q's on Wilshire in Westwood has pool tables and lots of screens. A small place in Culver City that has multi screens and multi dishes is Joxer Daily's. Great place to go to watch whatever otherwise obscure sporting event. Not a bad neighborhood bar. One place I love is Busby's. I actually think there's two but I go to the one in Santa Monica. Besides lots and lots of screens, they have free games. Yes, free pool! After 10 PM on Saturdays, prolly Fridays too, they do have dancing. I think there's a $5 cover, which is nothing comparitively, after 10 PM weekends. It does get super packed. I generally have a good time there.

MBTI
    GONE

Not about drinking but still on topic for LA -- I get the feeling that 'the valley' gets a bad rap. Why is that? I also live an a valley (yeah, silicon valley, har har, but it really is a valley -- I'm basically at the base of the Santa Cruz mountains) but that doesn't help. I once heard from an LA dude that the valley "is tacky". I'm not sure what eveb constitutes The Valley to be honest.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

^
    The valley gets a bad rap because it's browner and poorer. That means "tacky" to some people. People with enough money want to move out of the valley and be nearer to the ocean. It's just fine with me. I don't have to share my neighborhood with brittle trophy bitches and their yippy little rat dogs, plus I pay hundreds of dollars a month less in rent for a nicer place
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Air quality is worse in the valleys.
    Last edited by skip; 04-05-2008 at 06:22 PM.

MBTI
    INTP

It's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. It's not as soulless as Orange County, but there's draining homogenized feel in the valley. Particularly west valley. I spent about a year living out in Reseda and it might as well have been Siberia. Of course it'll be different for everyone but I'd rather not plan my whole life around "having to go over the hill," like for work or social events. It seriously becomes the green monster. I talk to co-workers and there's so much they won't attempt just out of the inconvenience of living in 818land.

Rent may be cheaper there, but I continue to hear prices that are close to that of the westside. There's a certain amount of savings of wear and tear on your car and body that comes with being in LA as opposed to the valley. The extra hour or two you can gain each day not having to fight traffic starts to become invaluable. Of course, living on the same side of the hill as your place of employment is no guarantee you'll have a short commute but not having to fight the sludge of the 405 or canyons or 101 reduces so much stress from your life.

MBTI
    INTP

That's what I was saying earlier. In L.A. rent (or a mortgage) isn't just a display of how much money you have, it's about how much health and safety you can afford.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by spartan26 View Post
    It's too cold in the winter.
    No offense but dude you really gotta be a wuss to make a statement like that. lol