• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Backpacking Gear and Techniques

A

Anew Leaf

I don't think that kit is intended for squidiform organisms, but I'm sure you'll find a good place to put them. :newwink:

when we take over the world you will look back upon this post and think "how foolish was i?"

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Need to borrow my copy of How to Have Sex in the Woods? Luckily the mechanics remain the same, so there's not much to learn. Just remember the wet wipes!

I took the z30 on its maiden voyage a couple days ago canyoneering Little LO just outside of town. I hadn't done it before and had no idea what to expect, just wanted to give the pack a workout. Ended up being a long hike, with a little bit of insanely cold water and some jedi aid climbing to avoid actually having to do anything difficult. The pack carries like a dream. Vastly better than any others I own. On the approach I didn't notice it at all and was carrying most of our heavy gear. Through the canyon it showed to be a lightweight, I wore a through small holes in it downclimbing chimneys and the like, but it obviously isn't intended for this use. The adjustment straps really cinch loads down well so there's no noticeable slop when moving around and the expansion is exceptional. I won't be bringing it down a slot again since it wouldn't last long and I've got more appropriate bags, but this is definitely my new goto lightweight daypack/overnight bag.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Need to borrow my copy of How to Have Sex in the Woods? Luckily the mechanics remain the same, so there's not much to learn. Just remember the wet wipes!
Ha ha! They should include a copy of that in the Intimacy Kit!

I took the z30 on its maiden voyage a couple days ago canyoneering Little LO just outside of town. I hadn't done it before and had no idea what to expect, just wanted to give the pack a workout. Ended up being a long hike, with a little bit of insanely cold water and some jedi aid climbing to avoid actually having to do anything difficult. The pack carries like a dream. Vastly better than any others I own. On the approach I didn't notice it at all and was carrying most of our heavy gear. Through the canyon it showed to be a lightweight, I wore a through small holes in it downclimbing chimneys and the like, but it obviously isn't intended for this use. The adjustment straps really cinch loads down well so there's no noticeable slop when moving around and the expansion is exceptional. I won't be bringing it down a slot again since it wouldn't last long and I've got more appropriate bags, but this is definitely my new goto lightweight daypack/overnight bag.
That looks like a nice pack. My main warm weather pack is similar in size and material. I'm impressed yours held up to canyoneering with only a few small holes.

Usehername

On a mission
A few of my favourites that one might not think to pack their first times out:

Sleeping bag compression sack:
pDSP1-8222417p275w.jpg

It shrinks my synthetic sleeping bag down to a fraction of the size using basic physics. :yes:

'beaners:
210281_dynotron.jpg

Because you don't have to fit it all in your bag.

Headlamp:
black-diamond-storm-headlamp.jpg

Because you're going to fall in love with your headlamp if you've never used one. Make sure it has a red light setting so if you need to go to the bathroom in the middle or the night or look for something in your pack you can fall back asleep easier.

Top-loading rather than compartmentalized pack:
MEC+Brio+60.png
I like top loading packs because I'm spatially dumb and it provides less jenga puzzle piecing--and therefore less stress for me--than compartmentalized packs. You may like compartmentalized packs but I hated mine when I lived out of it for almost a year. I now use this one from MEC (think REI):

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
^ I especially like the red light and top loading pack tips.

Red lights are great for not completely blinding yourself and others once the eyes have dark-adapted (red affects the retina's low-light receptors less). It's annoying when people are talking around the fire and shine their white headlamp into your face constantly. To retain some of your night vision when you either have to use a light at all, or switch from red to white, cover or close one eye. When you turn the light off or back to red, the covered eye will still be mostly dark-adapted. Full dark-adaptation takes about 30-40 minutes.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Winter footwear

This is what I used in WV this past February in the Cranberry Wilderness. Temps were down to around 15 F (-9.5 C) at night, and probably as low as 18-20 F when around camp and hiking. Snow varied from 0-30 inches (0-76.2 cm) (unexpected postholing up to the hips is always a blast).

• Certain Dri antiperspirant used daily on feet for 2-3 days before trip
  • Injinji polyester toe socks
  • Thick Thorlos wool socks
  • Rocky GoreTex socks, size 12
  • non-waterproof trail runners size 10.5
  • Montbell stretch gaiters

Observations:

1. Toes got cold while doing camp chores, so cold that I was getting concerned and nearly stopped everything to warm them. They probably would have been ok if I had oversized my trail runners 1-2 sizes. The shoes were tight enough (due to thick socks) that they were restricting blood flow slightly, making my toes cold. I normally wear size 10-10.5 with thin socks.

2. GoreTex socks worked well in keeping my feet reasonably dry. I'll skip the foot antiperspirant next time and see how things go.

3. GoreTex socks got wet when I crossed a small stream which was deeper than I estimated. Water came in from the top: user error. For deep streams, I plan to remove all socks and cross in only the shoes.

4. I need better gaiters for snow. The tiny gaiters served no purpose, and my lower pants were wet the entire trip--just a mild annoyance.

5. I did not like the feel of the polyester toe socks after a day of hiking. They felt like damp polyester concrete.

This winter I plan to revise the system to:

• Polyester dress sock liner (or maybe polypro)
  • Thick wool socks
  • Thick wool socks, oversized
  • non-waterproof trail runners, size 12 wide
  • Real waterproof gaiters
  • Softshell pants instead of regular nylon hiking pants

I estimate that I'll use this down to 0 F (-17.8 C). (I also hope to see -40 (C/F) this winter, but I'll be using an entirely different system for that.)

gromit

likes this
This is what I used in WV this past February in the Cranberry Wilderness. Temps were down to around 15 F (-9.5 C) at night, and probably as low as 18-20 F when around camp and hiking. Snow varied from 0-30 inches (0-76.2 cm) (unexpected postholing up to the hips is always a blast).

• Certain Dri antiperspirant used daily on feet for 2-3 days before trip
  • Injinji polyester toe socks
  • Thick Thorlos wool socks
  • non-waterproof trail runners size 10.5
  • Montbell stretch gaiters

Observations:

1. Toes got cold while doing camp chores, so cold that I was getting concerned and nearly stopped everything to warm them. They probably would have been ok if I had oversized my trail runners 1-2 sizes. The shoes were tight enough (due to thick socks) that they were restricting blood flow slightly, making my toes cold. I normally wear size 10-10.5 with thin socks.

2. GoreTex socks worked well in keeping my feet reasonably dry. I'll skip the foot antiperspirant next time and see how things go.

3. GoreTex socks got wet when I crossed a small stream which was deeper than I estimated. Water came in from the top: user error. For deep streams, I plan to remove all socks and cross in only the shoes.

4. I need better gaiters for snow. The tiny gaiters served no purpose, and my lower pants were wet the entire trip--just a mild annoyance.

5. I did not like the feel of the polyester toe socks after a day of hiking. They felt like damp polyester concrete.

This winter I plan to revise the system to:

• Polyester dress sock liner (or maybe polypro)
  • Thick wool socks
  • Thick wool socks, oversized
  • non-waterproof trail runners, size 12 wide
  • Real waterproof gaiters
  • Softshell pants instead of regular nylon hiking pants

I estimate that I'll use this down to 0 F (-17.8 C). (I also hope to see -40 (C/F) this winter, but I'll be using an entirely different system for that.)

For day hikes or multi-day hikes?

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Why are you wearing runners in those conditions? I'm all about wearing my inov8s with some gaiters when it's decent out, but once it's consistently below freezing I've got a proper pair of boots on. My Scarpa SL M3s would be a minimum there. Generally I've got a genuine mountaineering boot on... If I'm really out there a plastic boot or Nepal Evo.

Not a judgement, I just don't think of runners for winter use unless I'm actually running.

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
One note on 'biners:

If you're not using them for load bearing purposes, why waste your money on climbing rated biners? As a climber this endlessly amuses me. Those damn things cost good money to fulfill a very specific purpose.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Why are you wearing runners in those conditions? I'm all about wearing my inov8s with some gaiters when it's decent out, but once it's consistently below freezing I've got a proper pair of boots on. My Scarpa SL M3s would be a minimum there. Generally I've got a genuine mountaineering boot on... If I'm really out there a plastic boot or Nepal Evo.

Not a judgement, I just don't think of runners for winter use unless I'm actually running.

I agree that boots are necessary sometimes. I have a pair of Salomon all-leather GoreTex boots which are similar to those Scarpa's. Up until a few years ago, I wore them a few times a year in winter or cold/wet conditions. They have some advantages, but I prefer a non-waterproof (mostly mesh) trail runner because:

1. I prefer the sole of my foot to be able to flex some while walking and maneuvering.
  2. I prefer my ankle to be free to flex.
  3. Flexing my foot and ankle and using the small foot muscles some improves blood circulation, which keeps my foot warmer.
  4. Being able to flex the foot and ankle improves maneuverability and traction.
  5. I think GoreTex socks are a better solution to waterproofing than GoreTex-lined footwear because they can be easily rinsed and dried on the trail (dirt reduces breathability), they're easier for manufacturers to seal correctly, and they're easier to find and fix leaks. Mostly mesh trail runners match well with them because they maximize exposure to air for more breathability than most GoreTex footwear.
  6. Trail runners are generally around a pound lighter per foot than boots, allowing me to go farther and faster with less fatigue.

I use trail runners while snowshoeing too, but not all bindings are comfortable enough. The hard plastic Crescent Moon bindings were uncomfortable, but I like the bindings on the Atlas 12 series.

Last winter, I hiked a trail with some steep, icy sections using trekking poles, trail runners, and cheap rubber traction devices which relied on short metal screw heads for their grip. For $8 a pair, they worked surprisingly well. The problem was that they only lasted one hike. Whenever the screws would hit solid rock at the right angle, they'd pop out along with the special washer. They can't even be repaired by putting a new screw in. Some runners screw these screws directly into the soles of their shoe, but I don't like the idea of leaving behind metal screws on the trail when they pop out. I was thinking about getting some Kahtoola Microspikes for conditions like that, but I might just get some steel crampons.

Kahtoola Microspikes:
product_landing_microspikes_new.jpg

Kahtoola KTS Steel Crampons:
product_landing_kts_steel_new.jpg

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I enjoy and learn from stories about people who are lost in the wilderness. Next on my reading list is Lost in the Wild.

Jason Rasmussen, a third-year medical student who loved the forest’s solitude, walked alone into the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness on a crisp fall day. After a two-day trek into a remote area of the woods, he stepped away from his campsite and made a series of seemingly trivial mistakes that left him separated from his supplies, wet, and lost, as cold darkness fell.

It's rare that people document their experience while lost on film!

A

Anew Leaf

If you go to Minnisnowta this winter you may stop by my hosue for a cup of hot cocoa and a view of the great outdoors from the even greater indoors. :)

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Thank you, [MENTION=13402]Saturned[/MENTION]. :) I'll take you up on that offer after I'm rescued. :D

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Interesting about the runners... I'm still skeptical but I'll give it a shot once we've got some snow on the ground.

The Kahtoolas are money well spent. In more "mixed" terrain you'll beat the hell out of them and they won't last terribly long, but for trudging around on ice and hardpack they're great. I almost always bring a pair hiking in the Canyon in winter. They improved confidence is worth carrying them and not often needing them. Proper storage and care is key to keep the rubber from drying out, but I really like mine. There's another similar version out there with springs stretched across the bottom instead of spikes, but they don't work nearly as well or last as long from what I've seen.

I'd suggest trying out real crampons before diving in on the purchase. I've spent a good amount of time in them and they're complete overkill for most non glacier/climbing applications. Clunky and a bit annoying at times as well.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Thanks [MENTION=14489]giegs[/MENTION]. Good to hear the Kathoolas work well. I really just need something for the occasional icy slope, but if the trail is all ice, I might be walking on them constantly. I think I'd get annoyed with crampons in that case.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
These trip reports, gear lists, and videos are interesting and informative, especially the winter ones:

http://www.suluk46.com/adventure.html

They have me thinking about a softshell jacket for winter to cut down on wind and slight warmth. I have a cotton anorak (2.5 lbs) I plan to wear for temps below 10-20 F, but it would be an extra 1-1.5 pounds extra to carry in the backpack when I'm not wearing it compared to a lighter softshell (1 lb). The Patagonia Ready Mix looks nice, but is no longer available. The new similar Patagonia Guide doesn't have adjustable sleeve cuffs, which is a significant issue to me in windy conditions.

I might just stay with the cotton anorak. :shrug:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
My current gear list for late summer

I'd been considering a trip with something extremely minimal like just a knife and a poncho. I decided that would be too much work and not much fun because I'd have to spend most of my time building a shelter instead of hiking. With this gear, I can hike as long as I want during the daytime. I have a small coin-cell light for around camp, and I'd need to bring either a headlamp or a fire torch (too risky due to forest fire danger) if I wanted to hike at night. I'm cooking over a fire and not filtering or purifying water.

I suspect there's a slight chance that the organizer of the group trip I'm going on will refuse to allow me to go on the trip due to "inadequate gear." That would be hilarious, since I consider this fairly luxurious gear because I'm carrying nearly all of the essential things I need.

Packed
Backpack
Pack liner
Sleeping bag
Tarp
Sleeping pad
Ground sheet
Fleece hat
Rain jacket
Water bottle
Pot
Spoon
Food bag, cord, biner for hanging food away from bears
Total pack weight: 4.95 pounds (not including food and water)

Carried/Worn
T-shirt, polyester
Underwear
Pants, nylon
Socks
Shoes
Gaiters
Wallet
Watch
Bandana
Lens cleaning cloth
Eyeglasses
Compass
Whistle
Firesteel
Fire kit
Knife
Keys
Light, LED coin cell
Maps
Total carried/worn clothing and gear: 3.25 pounds

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This food is **REAAALLLY** good for healthy, quality, tasty dehydrated food. And the packaging is really convenient for backpacking excursions (cook in the packaging, and packaging seals very well/compresses for packing the waste out). Just need a little stove to heat the proper amount of water. Instructions are very easy and clear.

I can give specific meal recommendations of the ones I've tried and really like.

http://www.packitgourmet.com/