• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Backpacking Gear and Techniques

A

Anew Leaf

My backyard overlooks a small nature reserve area too. Could it be the same one?

We probably should admit now for the forum eyes to see that we are actually the same person with two personalities going on here.

I can't feel the breeze indoors.

Open a window.

I don't hear as many night sounds indoors.

Open a window.

Indoors, I'm isolated from the weather and other aesthetic aspects of nature.

Dear Ancestors,

Can you please explain why you invented things like "houses" and "roofs" to me? I feel like I am too isolated from the weather by utilizing such cheats as these in my life.

Thanks!

Your ungrateful descendant

Water from wilderness springs and streams tastes much better than city water, and even most well water and bottled water. I am ze wateur connoisseur.

Yeah, water from places like a "city" doesn't have the flavor and unique texture that worm larva can give.

Exercise with variable intensity and ranges of motion not typically experienced on gym equipment or flat walking/running

I suppose there could be some added variables in here as you run towards the nearest bathroom, praying to the Gods that you make it.

Temporarily remove ourselves from modern society, culture, technology, and even people if desired

This is what having a door on our house is for. So we can close it, and perhaps lock it. :D

Encounter new experiences and challenges not encountered in everyday life

Yes, running for the bathroom could qualify here.

Refocus on the essentials of life

Like toilet paper!

Understand the primitive ways of our ancestors and other cultures

Yes, the same people who left the wilderness in order to enjoy the great indoors.

See firsthand how all of life depends on nature and the Earth

That's what National Geographic channel is for!

Direct, personal interaction with nature teaches a respect for it in the same way which direct, personal interaction with another person enhances respect for that person

Except that nature usually returns the favor with things like a tornado, or hail storm, or worm infested water.

:D

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
^ This is great! :rofl1:

But, it has become quite clear that you really want to go backpacking and are engaging in the extensive use of multiple defense mechanisms. :jew: <-Freud smiley

We probably should admit now for the forum eyes to see that we are actually the same person with two personalities going on here.
:doh: I thought we agreed to repress that from consciousness?

:)laugh:)

A

Anew Leaf

^ This is great! :rofl1:

But, it has become quite clear that you really want to go backpacking and are engaging in the extensive use of multiple defense mechanisms. :jew: <-Freud smiley

:doh: I thought we agreed to repress that from consciousness?

:)laugh:)

I take it by your nonreply that you admit defeat. :D

A

Anew Leaf

:laugh:

Ok, I'll concede. You INFPs are so competitive. :D

*crosses yet another name off "to destroy" list*

Carry on with your thread! Or at least what's left of it.... *exits like a tornado to give you more unenjoyed nature*

gromit

likes this
JAVO - another question.

I got a used frame pack for $40, which seemed too good to pass up even though it might not be the perfect fit for me. However, I can't seem to get it adjusted properly. Feels like I'm bearing too much of the load on my shoulders rather than on my hips. How do I transfer that weight more to my hips? Is the pack too short or is there some strap to cinch somewhere? (there are a ton of straps)

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
JAVO - another question.

I got a used frame pack for $40, which seemed too good to pass up even though it might not be the perfect fit for me. However, I can't seem to get it adjusted properly. Feels like I'm bearing too much of the load on my shoulders rather than on my hips. How do I transfer that weight more to my hips? Is the pack too short or is there some strap to cinch somewhere? (there are a ton of straps)

1. Loosen all straps nearly all of the way.
2. Put it on with some weight in it.
3. The hip belt buckle should be approximately over your navel, although some prefer it a little above or below. This varies based on individual bone structure.
4. Tighten hip belt very tight so that it's not uncomfortable, but is bearing nearly all of the load.
5. Tighten shoulder straps just enough to stabilize the pack so that it doesn't swing or feel awkward.
6. The load lifter straps above the shoulder straps can be tightened to take more of the load off of the shoulders.

Some of the details I left out about the other less important straps are described here:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/backpacks+adjusting+fit.html

Usehername

On a mission
Gromit, are you female or male? That expert advice assumes you're male. Females should wear and load the pack a lot differently than males.

gromit

likes this
Oh I am female. How should it be different for female? I believe the pack is a female pack though at least.

gromit

likes this
I moved the tent to the top which made some difference, tightened in the order you suggested, still wasn't great, so then I just started trying to tighten stuff more... tightened the shoulder straps and hip belt up a TON, so now the pack is riding a lot higher. Seems much better on my shoulders. I think I want to readjust where the shoulder straps connect to the frame, move it down one notch if possible...

Weird long torso not so great in this situation...

Usehername

On a mission
Oh I am female. How should it be different for female? I believe the pack is a female pack though at least.

I'm curious now about the differences. I haven't heard of this, other than a difference in preferred sternum strap height.

Basically females should load the weight to their hips as much as possible, and wear the hip strap across the pelvis rather than bellybutton-ish height. The most important difference is to avoid carrying weight above your hips as much as possible, so you'll want to move your tent to the bottom unless you have heavier items like canned food there already.

The first backpacking trip I went on, a guy loaded it for me and it felt like a sturdy pack but I was very sore afterwards. I thought it was just from the workout. The next time my female friend showed me how to do it, and it felt like an extension of my body/like it complemented my skeletal frame. I did not feel wrenched after that trip.

Basically, males have upper body muscle and skeletal support, which females basically don't, almost at all, at least in comparison to the kind of weight and skeletal frame support they have in their hips and lower body.

gromit

likes this
Ah well I had the tent in the back to begin with then moved it to the top, that was better... I'll have to see about how to attach it below the pack somehow. Fortunately I'm only packing everything up to go on the commuter rail and get picked up somewhere to go car camping, not actually hiking with all of it, but I just was curious because even the 0.5 mi walk to the subway this morning was killing my shoulders.

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
If you're not used to carrying a pack a lot of shoulder issues can result from improper form. I see hundreds of relatively "green" hikers every year and almost all of them walk with either shrugged or slacked shoulders to start. Both are recipes for discomfort when you've got a moderate+ load and a longish hike. Since I don't have birthin' hips I can't speak to the fit so much, but the general rules of packing weight low and towards the spine should still apply. Packed and fitted properly, it should seem as though the load is propelling you forward. And again, at some level it's just comfort and technique. Once you get used to carrying monster loads on weird terrain without crying the little ones feel dreamy.

The width of the shoulder straps (relative to each other, not the individual strap width) might also be an issue. If you've got the option try moving them inwards or outwards to find your sweet spot.

I just picked up a Gregory z30 for a few trips I have planned this winter. Gave away my old TNF pack to a friend and needed something in the 30L size for light/fast shenanigans. An earlier model got Alpinist Magazine's recommendation, so it shouldn't suck. Hopefully it'll be waiting for me when I head home next week. My Wild Things pack needs to go in for repairs... so beat up right now.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Condensation in shelters: no big deal

One night during heavy rain from hurricane Irene, I was dripped on all night by condensation in my Tarptent Moment when not using the inner liner. (I only use it in colder weather.) I didn't even notice until I woke up and saw little droplets on my down bag. My bag has great DWR (durable water repellent coating). I simply shook them off and packed the bag. The down inside stayed dry. Areas where I hike are nearly a temperate rainforest, so I expect to get condensation most nights, even with an open pitch flat tarp. I think the condensation issue is nearly irrelevant unless you use a bag with poor DWR or the shelter is so small that your bag is touching the walls.

giegs

MBTI Type
INTP
Yup. In most tents is not an issue unless they heavily condensate and "rain" on your when you wake up and the tent shakes. If you're in a bivy sack, especially a poleless bodybag style one, it can be a fairly big issue.

How do you like the moment? I've been thinking about a tarptent for my next 1 man instead of getting a Big Agnes seedhouse or similar. I've heard concerns about general durability, but it seems the kind of tent that would easily be damaged if not sited/set properly. How well does it handle wind?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I like the Moment. It seems a little "space-challenged" when I have the liner installed because that takes up 2-4 inches of headroom. I've only used it in forested areas, but in my more open backyard it held up very well to 20-30 mph winds. I've read firsthand accounts from others who haven't had any problems in much stronger winds on exposed mountains. It definitely needs the extra stakes/guylines on the main pole (not included), which is the vulnerable point of these center pole designs. For really high winds and snow loads, there are mid-panel tieouts which I'll stake out to supporting sticks or trekking poles. There's an extra pole available, but this accomplishes the same support for less weight and money. I do plan to give it a try this winter in the forest or behind spruce tree clusters. I also have a Scarp 2 which is much better suited to winter, but it weighs 4 lbs, 4 oz (after I added extra features).

A photo from the Tarptent website:

mt-8.jpg

My Moment weighed 2 pounds new, and it weighs 2 lbs, 6 oz (including stakes, not counting the 4 oz liner) after:

- seam sealing
- coating of diluted silicone caulk on both sides of the floor to minimize slipperiness of silnylon (also enhances durability and waterproofing)
- added small pieces of cord to zipper pulls
- added extra guylines and stakes

A Scarp 1 would be a really nice one person tent for winter, but it starts at 3 lbs before these enhancements. It's all so luxurious compared to the trash bag bivy I used as a teenager! :D

I've thought about using only this Basic Bivy made of breathable Tyvek-like material:

BT_Side_s.jpg

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Everyone likes to talk about survival kits and first aid kits. But, if you're out backpacking with your spouse, significant other, or somehow meet a significant other while on the trail :)happy2:), you're going to need this to be fully prepared:

l_115371_s06_000.jpg

This is stuff you won't learn by watching Survivorman or Man vs. Wild folks!

A

Anew Leaf

Everyone likes to talk about survival kits and first aid kits. But, if you're out backpacking with your spouse, significant other, or somehow meet a significant other while on the trail :)happy2:), you're going to need this to be fully prepared:

l_115371_s06_000.jpg

This is stuff you won't learn by watching Survivorman or Man vs. Wild folks!

But where will I put all of my tentacles? :thinking: