User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Anew Leaf

My backyard overlooks a small nature reserve area too. Could it be the same one?
    We probably should admit now for the forum eyes to see that we are actually the same person with two personalities going on here.

I can't feel the breeze indoors.
    Open a window.

I don't hear as many night sounds indoors.
    Open a window.

Indoors, I'm isolated from the weather and other aesthetic aspects of nature.
    Dear Ancestors,

Can you please explain why you invented things like "houses" and "roofs" to me? I feel like I am too isolated from the weather by utilizing such cheats as these in my life.

Thanks!

Your ungrateful descendant

Water from wilderness springs and streams tastes much better than city water, and even most well water and bottled water. I am ze wateur connoisseur.
    Yeah, water from places like a "city" doesn't have the flavor and unique texture that worm larva can give.

Exercise with variable intensity and ranges of motion not typically experienced on gym equipment or flat walking/running
    I suppose there could be some added variables in here as you run towards the nearest bathroom, praying to the Gods that you make it.

Temporarily remove ourselves from modern society, culture, technology, and even people if desired
    This is what having a door on our house is for. So we can close it, and perhaps lock it.

Encounter new experiences and challenges not encountered in everyday life
    Yes, running for the bathroom could qualify here.

Refocus on the essentials of life
    Like toilet paper!

Understand the primitive ways of our ancestors and other cultures
    Yes, the same people who left the wilderness in order to enjoy the great indoors.

See firsthand how all of life depends on nature and the Earth
    That's what National Geographic channel is for!

Direct, personal interaction with nature teaches a respect for it in the same way which direct, personal interaction with another person enhances respect for that person
    Except that nature usually returns the favor with things like a tornado, or hail storm, or worm infested water.

^ This is great!

But, it has become quite clear that you really want to go backpacking and are engaging in the extensive use of multiple defense mechanisms. <-Freud smiley

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    We probably should admit now for the forum eyes to see that we are actually the same person with two personalities going on here.
    I thought we agreed to repress that from consciousness?

()

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    ^ This is great!

But, it has become quite clear that you really want to go backpacking and are engaging in the extensive use of multiple defense mechanisms. <-Freud smiley

I thought we agreed to repress that from consciousness?

()
    I take it by your nonreply that you admit defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I take it by your nonreply that you admit defeat.

Ok, I'll concede. You INFPs are so competitive.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post

Ok, I'll concede. You INFPs are so competitive.
    *crosses yet another name off "to destroy" list*

Carry on with your thread! Or at least what's left of it.... *exits like a tornado to give you more unenjoyed nature*

JAVO - another question.

I got a used frame pack for $40, which seemed too good to pass up even though it might not be the perfect fit for me. However, I can't seem to get it adjusted properly. Feels like I'm bearing too much of the load on my shoulders rather than on my hips. How do I transfer that weight more to my hips? Is the pack too short or is there some strap to cinch somewhere? (there are a ton of straps)
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    JAVO - another question.

I got a used frame pack for $40, which seemed too good to pass up even though it might not be the perfect fit for me. However, I can't seem to get it adjusted properly. Feels like I'm bearing too much of the load on my shoulders rather than on my hips. How do I transfer that weight more to my hips? Is the pack too short or is there some strap to cinch somewhere? (there are a ton of straps)
    1. Loosen all straps nearly all of the way.
    2. Put it on with some weight in it.
    3. The hip belt buckle should be approximately over your navel, although some prefer it a little above or below. This varies based on individual bone structure.
    4. Tighten hip belt very tight so that it's not uncomfortable, but is bearing nearly all of the load.
    5. Tighten shoulder straps just enough to stabilize the pack so that it doesn't swing or feel awkward.
    6. The load lifter straps above the shoulder straps can be tightened to take more of the load off of the shoulders.

Some of the details I left out about the other less important straps are described here:

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...sting+fit.html

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Gromit, are you female or male? That expert advice assumes you're male. Females should wear and load the pack a lot differently than males.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Oh I am female. How should it be different for female? I believe the pack is a female pack though at least.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Females should wear and load the pack a lot differently than males.
    I'm curious now about the differences. I haven't heard of this, other than a difference in preferred sternum strap height.