User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Muy Caliente!!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Exclamation Muy Caliente!!

I looooooooove spicy hot foods. Who else does?
    It doesn't matter the cuisine, I like it all.
    I've been eating this nonstop lately. I hope it's not bad for my body.
    There's something about that burning sensation in my mouth that I just LOVE.
    Am I a masochist?
    I don't think so because I don't like it when it's so hot that you can't taste the food and your eyes and nose water. (okay maybe I like that a tiny bit)
    My favorite is the rare but delayed kind that doesn't hit you until a few seconds after you take a bite.

Anyways, I just had some spicy hot ceviche. Yum Yum.

Does anyone have muy caliente recipes to give me?
    I like all different types of peppers.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I've got some TexMex recipes that can be as hot as you like.. but I don't have recipes for them... I just kinda make 'em. Texas style red chili, salsa Mexicana, and enchiladas. None of them are fancy, but they are authentic. I can maybe put something on paper...

Anew Leaf

Saturned's Galaxy Guacamole:

Ingredients:

Avocadoes
    Serrano peppers
    cumin
    fresh garlic
    fresh black pepper
    salt
    fresh squeezed lime juice
    cilantro
    white onions

I don't really believe in measuring, I just get a bunch of this stuff and dump it into a bowl. I like chunky guacamole so I don't bother using a blender or food processer, or spending much time cutting the avocadoes up. (Usually just mixing this in a bowl does the trick.) I add lots of serrano peppers to give it a major kick. I also measure ingredients to taste. I just had a party at my house and made a 16 avocado batch of guac. I ended up dumping an entire large bottle of cumin in there. ^_^

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Thanks, Saturn. I can make it work without measurements. Just give me a general idea of what to do like you have.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Qlip's Salsa

2 large tomatoes
    1/2 an onion
    1 bunch of cilantro
    1 serrano
    1/2 juiced lime
    salt to taste

Chop the tomatoes as fine as you like, same for onions. Combine and chop cilantro leaves finely, add to mix. Add lime juice to taste, and salt. Then chop up the serranos super fine and add. They're only for heat, not flavor. Set in fridge overnight for the best flavor. Consume.

EDIT: sometimes I add some tomatillos, it makes it more tart.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Thanks, Saturn. I can make it work without measurements. Just give me a general idea of what to do like you have.
    Awesome! And it should totally be "to taste." For the record I am a big fan of dumping as much spice into my cooking as I can. So with this I taste it as I go along and if I have a friend over, they are going... uhh... it needs something but let's not rock the boat. And I go, you're right! *dumps a fistful of cumin in, three pinches of kosher salt, another lime, half an onion, and 3 more peppers*

Here is also Saturned's Famous Fajitas:

Chicken
    Fresh limes
    White Onions
    Serrano Peppers
    Cumin
    Garlic
    Fresh black pepper
    salt

I squeeze lots of limes, add in all these ingredients, plus cubed chicken. I make sure the juice covers all the chicken up - add water as needed but the majority of the marinade should be lime juice. I marinate the chicken for 12-24 hours. Then I saute the chicken up. Add guac, sour cream, cheese, salsa, peppers, tortillas, etc. Yum!

To compliment all of this (I have a huge party in June of every year where I make my guac and fajitas) I make fizzy lime drinks:

club soda
    ice cubes
    limeade

(blender obviously. Add alcohol as desired.)

It's about a 1:1 ratio of club soda to limeade. One year I added fresh watermelons, and another I added fresh strawberries.

Just deliciousness all of the way around!

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Mmmm MMMM *happy dance*

You like serrano's eh, Saturned?

Anew Leaf

Yes, they are the best pepper! I love jalapenos too, but jalapenos are everywhere... serranos not so much.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Okay.. we need some red peppers representing here. This is my very basic red chili sauce. I use it in chili, enchiladas and with carne. Its not really a recipe, but the start of one.

Get some chiles pasillas, they're these dried red peppers. If you can help it, get ones that aren't so dry to crumble while handling. cut off the top with the stem and split them down the middle with a paring knife. Scrape out the veins and seeds. Warning, anything you touch after this will burn. Soak the chiles in hot water for a couple hours.

Drain the water and put the chiles in a blender. Add some water or stock and a couple cloves of garlic and blend it smooth. The process is incredibly messy, but worth it.

Mmmm, I love hot foods! I get all red and my face sweats and my scalp gets itchy, but it's totally worth it. I love the secondary burn like you pointed out, Giggly...that depth of flavor that reveals itself a few seconds later.

I like to put ancho chile powder in hot chocolate, brownies and chocolate cookies. It gives a wonderful accent to chocolate. I also minced a habanero pepper and threw it in the wok with some orange chicken last week, and that gave it just the right burn. I was in New Mexico recently and really liked the green chile they put on everything...especially green chile cheeseburgers. And then, of course there are buffalo wings. Mmmm.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari