• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Own Sauces and Recipes

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I today made my first own sauce. Not some instant crap, everything's made from fresh vegetables. That's big achievment on the ladder to master cook :D. Only thing I bought was vegetable stock. Its a pure biological one without additives, I have to watch that since my gf gets rashes from additives, preservatives or artifical colors. If you want to have the real feeling tho you can of course make your own vegetable stock. Some greens + a bouquet garni, salt and oil should suffice.

So first of all I took two shallots and braised them lightly in oil. Then I added milk and the vegetable stock, relation 4 parts milk and 1 part stock. Better than milk would be whipped cream then you can skip the flour part later. It just wasnt availiable in my fridge.

Then you add garlic just a tiny tiny bit. Best added wth a garlic press they are awesome. And after that you are pretty much free to do anything. I liked to make a cream sauce so I season with rose paprika, pepper and salt. I added herbs of the Provence aswell my gf loves them.

Then you let it cook and filter some flour into it until it gets the consistency you want.

Well thats it basically the result is a perfect sauce, no instant and easily to prepare.

Do you have sauce recipes as well ? I'd like to get to know some american cuisine as well :). I am still looking for the perfect burger recipe, I never manage to get the meat right, never tastes like McDonalds or BK :).

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
My feeling is this - once you get basic white sauce or brown sauce down, you can cook anything. Equal amounts of fat and flour or another thickener and liquid. Or deglazing a pan with wine or stock makes a very nice sauce for most meats, maybe thickened with a bit of butter. I never buy gravy or sauces for that matter, they taste much better made from whatever you are cooking. I take that back, I do buy a canned au jus occasionally for one particular recipe but that's it.

My family has been on me to make biscuits and bacon gravy for the last few weekends so I will probably have to do that soon.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ya you're feeling is most definitly right. I just never tried it before really. In my family we always used instant sauces, except when you were having a joint for example. The best sauce recipe from my family is when you make boiled fillet, you put that into a cooking pot that has only a little water in it. And then you basically steam boil it with the lid closed. After an hour or so you make a roux ( Butter in a pan, then add flour and then water ). After that you add the joint water to the roux and then you can either at dill or tomato sauce. Very tasty, but very heavy too, since the roux has much flour and butter.

When I moved in with my gf I completly had to change my cooking habits due to her allergies and since I want to loose some weight I try to stay away from butter, flour and sugar. Thats has made it quite difficult to make sauces since most of them involve an unhelathy component. I'd never thought you can make from basically only vegetables such a good sauce :D.

So do you happen to know a recipe for a good burger ? What is the secret of McDonalds and BurgerKing to make their meat that tasty and that I dont know of ? :) or do you have another favourite recipe, I like to try different things out

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think Burger King and McDonald's are disgusting. That's actually pretty low grade meat and cooking, there, Entropie. I can see maybe wanting the recipe of Fatburger or In N Out. Especially Burger King, man that just makes me want to hurl.

I was going to post a sauce here, a Southern white gravy, but that's exactly what you're trying to get away from!!! :laugh: Heavy and fattening...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I tend to think it may has to do a bit with my childhood that I like BK and McD. I was raised pretty strictly, following the attitude "you have to eat whats on the table", tho you didnt like that at times. Having a phlegmatic I dont care NT nature helped a lot to cope with that education, still when my rebellion began eating at BK or McD was one of the first evil things I did. My parents always forbid me to eat there, so I ate there :D.

Do post the sauce, I wont be so stupid and deny myself all the pleasures in the future. I just gotta loose some weight at the moment, I have a new record with 230 lbs, little fat green goblin :D

F

FigerPuppet

I think Burger King and McDonald's are disgusting. That's actually pretty low grade meat and cooking, there, Entropie.

The meat is the same quality as the stuff you find in every super market, and what high-quality way of cooking beef patties do you have in mind?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well I cant buy patties since as I said my gf cant eat them. The stuff I get in the supermarket is tasty but has like E-numbers ranging from E01 to E1000 in it, so every additive there is on the planet. I'd like to make them myself with fresh meat from the butcher. I figured that meat for a perfect burger has to be a little bit more beef than swine, think I read that somewhere. And then you have to get meet that has been grounded into very small pieces. Ok thats sounding quite ugly now I am definitly no butcher material :D.

Still besides that you add mustard to the patty meat mix and herbs. If you have any recipe like that, hand it over; I can trade with german, italian, bohemian, silesian and french cuisine :).

But if you have other recipes than Burgers hand them in aswell, I like to try out new things. My gf and me tend to only cook the same thing twice when we were having a lazy day :). Cu tomorrow, 4 am here, gotta go to bed now really :/

mmhmm

meinmeinmein!
i fry bacon. remove bacon. then use the leftover goodness as a base.
mix in a dash of whip cream to get the drippings off the skillet. a sprinkle
of cornflour to thicken (optional if prefer roux). crack some pepper.
chop up bacon and sprinkle on top.

F

figsfiggyfigs

My feeling is this - once you get basic white sauce or brown sauce down, you can cook anything. Equal amounts of fat and flour or another thickener and liquid. Or deglazing a pan with wine or stock makes a very nice sauce for most meats, maybe thickened with a bit of butter. I never buy gravy or sauces for that matter, they taste much better made from whatever you are cooking. I take that back, I do buy a canned au jus occasionally for one particular recipe but that's it.

My family has been on me to make biscuits and bacon gravy for the last few weekends so I will probably have to do that soon.

Ditch that ENFJ and marry me instead. NAO.

minus bacon. You people disgust me.