User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default homemade laundry detergent

I was wondering if anyone else does this. I just decide to make a batch out of what items I had lying around the house. I'm hoping its effective.... Making your own laundry detergent is environmentally friendly, hypoallergenic, and saves you some money. From the research I have done a commercial brand is 21 cents a load, and this is 1-5 cents a load. 3 easy ingredients

borax
    washing soda
    bar soap

you can also use oxyclean or biz for more stain fighting.

http://www.diynatural.com/simple-eas...dry-detergent/

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

BREAKING NEWS!!!

I just used my homemade detergent and it worked better than the store bought! my whites are a lot whiter than usual! yayyyy

1/2 irish spring bar
    1/4cup baking soda
    1/4 cup borax

Most interesting thing I've heard of in a while.
    Veni, Vidi, Cessi.

MBTI
    STUF

How is buying products that have been baked in the giant industrial furnaces of a factory and then grinding them up environmentally friendly?
    Whoops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    How is buying products that have been baked in the giant industrial furnaces of a factory and then grinding them up environmentally friendly?
    +1
    @ OP: do you have any data to backup your claims?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

how long did it take you? More than ~20 cents' worth of time?

also if you buy detergent on sale and/or buy the cheaper brands, it's a lot less than 21 cents a load. Especially if you add coupons into the mix.

edit: I checked and my bottle of cheap detergent claims 48 loads (I'm sure it's less) and cost 2$ on sale (regular price 3$). Even at the regular price that's 6 cents a load and without any time at all - and it works fine, it's just soap. If you watch for good sales and use coupons you can easily get tide or sunlight for 3-4$ or even less. I never buy tide at regular price for 7-9$, that's absurd.

(canadian prices)
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I can't say I'm a very eco friendly person. But when looking for recipes on how to make laundry soap the majority of sites said "eco friendly", or "green" laundry soap. You can google yourself if you're extremely curious, I am not. Making the "trial" batch took like 2 minutes, I just wanted to see if it would work. I am pregnant and due with my daughter Oct. 12th, I don't know if you have ever looked at the prices for "dreft" or other infant laundry soaps but it is redonk! I can make homemade laundry soap for a lot cheaper and know exactly what goes in it. Currently I use All, but if the baby turns out to be super sensitive I will be making my own laundry soap.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

huh, I had no idea babies need (?) special laundry soap. I've never noticed such a product for sale before, although to be fair I've never looked!

you can usually get fragrance and dye-free soaps (which I prefer) in the generic brands though, I guess depending what's available in your area.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    huh, I had no idea babies need (?) special laundry soap. I've never noticed such a product for sale before, although to be fair I've never looked!

you can usually get fragrance and dye-free soaps (which I prefer) in the generic brands though, I guess depending what's available in your area.
    they can. some babies have very sensitive skin. my husbands sister and mother are both allergic to commercial laundry detergent. They make their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Jelly View Post
    BREAKING NEWS!!!

I just used my homemade detergent and it worked better than the store bought! my whites are a lot whiter than usual! yayyyy

1/2 irish spring bar
    1/4cup baking soda
    1/4 cup borax
    What do you do with the irish spring bar? Do you grate it up or something? I know you know this...but irish spring might be a little irritating to a baby's skin. Have you tried other soaps in this recipe? Did it work?