• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

do you pack your lunch?

so, do you?

• Total voters

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
do you pack your lunch for work or school? if so what benefits and problems do you find that are associated with that? what do you most commonly pack? :huh:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I pack my lunch sometimes, though not often since I work from home currently. But I still have to do so from time to time for other reasons.

Generally the best things I think to pack are portables like bananas, apples, boiled eggs, nuts, yogurt, pieces of cheese, crackers and/or various sandwiches. I also used to carry sardines at one point, I went through a phase.

Of course, many companies make it super easy for you to carry junk food like candy, cookies, and potato chips in individual serving packs, but I tend to avoid that most of the time.

When I worked in a place with a microwave and/or a fridge, or when I took things to school with me when I was in college, I was more likely to take microwavable meals (soup, pasta, lean cuisine, etc.) or left-overs.

I've never been devoted enough to carry things like fancy little bento boxes.

The most common problem with doing this is that sometimes you can be tempted to spend money even though you brought your lunch because fresher food or restaurant food looks more interesting.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I usually do. It's usually simple things. I just made my peanut butter and blueberry jam sandwiches for tomorrow and cut up some strawberries. I'll usually take leftovers if I have them. I do run into the 'everything else looks better' scenario, but I am normally so busy that I don't have a break, so it's just easier all around.. and I save money and it keeps my weight in check too.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I almost always pack my lunch because it's cheaper and it's a lot healthier than anything that I could get for a quick meal on the road. I pack my lunch the night before and prep for the whole week on Sunday evening (which is about the peak of my organizational skills!). I can't take anything that needs to be heated up since I usually don't have access to a microwave. I usually take a pasta salad, fruit, string cheese, a vegetable and some almonds... I tend not to get bored with eating about the same thing every day for lunch for some reason :thinking:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*is now intrigued with the prospect of blueberry jam*

:holy:

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Mmm.... almonds, I keep those on my desk.. and string cheese in the fridge at work... I usually just graze when I get a chance, but that's more to my eating habits, so it completely works.

EDIT! Yes, blueberry jam is amazing... I got bored of strawberry... so I've been on a blueberry kick. :yes:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wish I had the privledge of grazing on a day to day basis! that's how I prefer to eat, but I am almost always out with someone else who wants to stop by a fast food restraunt and sit down for lunch :thumbdown:

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
*nods* I understand that. At least you can get a salad but it's still not the same.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
and I boldly eat that salad while sitting in a restraunt from which I ordered nothing too :2ar15:... nobody's dared to kick me out yet!

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
:laugh: They wouldn't do that... the person sitting with you ordered a cheeseburger and a milkshake.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
true, true :cheese:

plus, I usually have evil designs on selling them something after lunch anyways, so I'm very nice to them whenever I DO interact with them :yes:

somehow I'm one of the few people at my place of work who brings thier lunch... the only other people are the ones who I trained who are on my team... I didn't used to bring my lunch and it tended to run somewhere around $40 a week for food :shock:

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Sometimes if i am bored, i'll prepare a pasta salad. Other times a sandwich (ham salad) and crisps and other times i buy out.

I am not adventurous when it comes to food as i don't like cooking. It bores me unless i've stopped smoking then i have taste buds again and want to prepare, cook and eat everything.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
2080$ a year for lunch. Salad and almonds.. with Peanut butter and blueberry jam for me. :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've calculated that I save around $1,820 dollars a year by bringing my lunch with me :nerd:

and somehow smoking never dampened my taste buds very effectively... I smoked and worked tasting wine with no ill effects :thinking:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I swear that I don't sniff things before eating them either :ninja:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I take a bento box. I don't usually pack traditional Japanese fare, though. I have something of a "problem" with collecting the boxes and accessories so I try to put them to use as often as possible. I don't see much in the way of problems with it, it saves money and I know what I'm eating. I do make and freeze ahead and use a lot of ready to go stuff. I like things like chicken buns, mini fraittas and casseroles, yakatori and skewered shrimp. I always pack fresh fruits and veggies too. I made grilled chicken and veggies tonight. Tomorrow I will stuff them in a pita with spinach and red leaf lettuce from my garden. I try to keep a few rules for lunches - lots of color, low on the carb count and I always take a small treat.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sometimes pack lunch / sometimes buy it. Depends on my mood and what I have on stock. More often than not, I bring my own lunch but do go out about once a week to break up the routine.

I have access to a microwave / fridge at work which gives more more options but I'm too lazy to pack anything that's going to require alot of cutting or pre-prep.

Most commonly I bring stuff like leftovers, Lean Cuisines, yogurt, fruit, carrot sticks, crackers, nuts, or granola bars. Stuff that's healthy and easy to pack.

Kriash

Resident Apple Hoarder
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
When I was in school, I brought the same thing for lunch everyday pretty much. Peanut butter or chicken sandwich, an apple, and a bag of pretzels or baked chips. When I started working I did not actually have a lunch break, so I started packing smaller things like almonds, fruit snacks, baby carrots, and the like instead of a sandwich. I always found it cheaper to bring my lunch instead of going out for fast food, or trying to find something at the school cafeteria. It was healthier too.

MBTI Type
INTJ
My work has a stocked kitchen with things like protein bars, chips, fruit, peanut butter, snacks, drinks, etc. so I try not to buy lunch more than once a week. Unfortunately my coworkers at the new job love going out for lunch and I feel like I need to go more than I want to so they don't realize I'm antisocial. But blowing $60 or $70 a week on lunch seems like a waste to me.