9 33.33%
  • no

7 25.93%
  • sometimes

11 40.74%
  • other, which I shall explain below

0 0%
First 1234 Last

I go out quite a bit, try to keep it to $6 per meal or so. There are lots of nutritious foods available to buy though, and for cheap too, and already prepared, and I can get what I feel like at the time!

I pack my lunch sometimes too, if I have leftovers those make good lunches, or if I get up early enough to prepare something.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    do you pack your lunch for work or school? if so what benefits and problems do you find that are associated with that? what do you most commonly pack?
    it's too expensive to buy lunch daily (although we have two cafeterias in the building + numerous restaurants in the area), so I try to pack when I can. Typically I cook extra the night before, especially rice or noodle dishes. Still, if I don't get to cook or I'm just bored, I'll end up buying.

The bad part is the caloric intake + the cost to buy at work. The food at work typically is pretty high in calories.

Along with the main lunch, I usually pack a yogurt or a fruit, a bag of carrots, and a bottle of soda. I buy 2 liters at home and put them in the fridge, then fill up a 20oz bottle daily. I can buy a 2-liter for $1.50 max, usually, while at work it now costs $1.75 for a 20oz.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I usually do, but haven't lately. I usually pack fruit, some kind of homemade rice dish, and then I usually have crackers, dried apricots, hummus (sometimes), and chocolate at work, which I eat to supplement if necessary.

Pros: Money savings, health benefits, precious lunch-break time not wasted going to get food.
    Cons: Sometimes it's a pain, and sometimes I get sick of the stuff I bring (though not as sick I get of the choice of restaurants near my office if I don't pack my own lunch!)
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

jawohl !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

When necessary, I pack. But given my class schedule I haven't had to pack a lunch in forever. I either have time to go back to my apartment in the middle of the day, or I get home at 3-4pm and just have a late lunch.

I pack primarily because I have a lot of really severe food allergies. I've had a few situations where I ate something that I shouldn't have been allergic to, and there must have been SOMETHING in it because I had to give myself an epinephrine shot shortly after.

And I'm a pretty picky eater.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    When necessary, I pack. But given my class schedule I haven't had to pack a lunch in forever. I either have time to go back to my apartment in the middle of the day, or I get home at 3-4pm and just have a late lunch.

I pack primarily because I have a lot of really severe food allergies. I've had a few situations where I ate something that I shouldn't have been allergic to, and there must have been SOMETHING in it because I had to give myself an epinephrine shot shortly after.

And I'm a pretty picky eater.
    Your work schedule has too much lazy time, I work 25 hours a day with 1 hour lunchbreak ! You need to work harder Panda !!!
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Yes, I do. I very rarely eat out. I just eat lunch on my own, usually at my desk, and then after I eat I'll step out of the building on nice/warm days and sit in my car and read for a bit, or go for a walk.

At my previous job, I always made my lunch every morning before going to work (just a sandwich and yogurt, or else a microwavable thing plus yogurt). At my new place, because it's smaller and things don't get stolen out of the fridge, I just leave all of the fixings in a little bag in the fridge, and make my sandwiches here. It's a lot easier than having to bother with it every morning before leaving.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    GONE

No, I hate packing lunches. I wouldn't want to eat what I packed and I hate cleaning out 1/2 day old plastic containers. <--GO AHEAD AND JUDGE ME.

It's not that I'm against home cooked meals, not at all. I would prefer to do what Patches does and come home for meals. That's also what my uncle does as he lives close to home, he has just enough time to drive back and have a quick lunch.

I think if there was a dabbawalla industry in the states and I had a partner to cook for me or vice versa, that would be a nice option.

*Edit* Also I don't have to worry about budgeting for a partner or dependents so it's all me, all the time. And all me prefers eating out or eating at home, packed lunch is just too in between.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

How my typical lunch packing thing goes:

2 weeks before an event occurs that requires me to pack my lunch (new job, school starts, schedule change, etc.): I am super excited. I look up recipes for all the cool things I can take with me to work. I go out and buy cute, healthy-style food packaging things that are reusable, with perfect matching ice packs and plastic baggies.
    1 day before: I plan out the entire week's worth of meals, including things that I haven't bothered to buy ingredients for.
    First lunch day: Totally awesome. Lunch is amazing. I get home, and I'm in such a good mood I forget to wash dishes.
    Next day: Oh crap, lunch box is still dirty. Oh well, I didn't buy the ingredients anyways. I take a plastic bag with a sandwich and some x (x being whatever it is that's easy to grab: cereal, chips, pudding, baby food, etc.)
    The rest of the week: Repeat next day's activities, even after I've washed the lunch box due to time constraints the morning of..
    Eventually: Lose lunch box, alternate between eating out and eating crappy lunches made in 2 minutes.
    A bit after that: Situation changes, I don't need to pack lunches anymore, and I eat amazing lunches at home.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    INTp

If forced to take a lunch break, then a rotating basis usually of peanut butter sandwiches (no jelly), hard salami and cabbage, or baloney miracle whip and cabbage sandwiches.