• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Olives

O

Oberon

A new Arabic grocery opened in town, and between that and my foodie neighbor I've become thoroughly hooked on oil-cured black olives. I don't jones for them all the time, but when I want them nothing else will do.

I figure I've either somehow gotten pregnant, or just olives are really good.

What other olives are out there (and I don't mean the little green pimento-stuffed cocktail olives) that are worth trying?

-da mouse

T

ThatGirl

My family (well great grandma) used to cure her own olives. The tan ones. With only bay leaves, garlic, and red pepper. They had a slightly bitter but spicy flavor which people either loved or hated. I used to eat a whole jar at a time.

Unfortunately, no one else in the family can get the recipie quiet right even though we have tried. Damn italians and their measuring by sight. I craked a jar open and counted the bay leaves, chilies, and garlic cloves, but the salt content is always off, and looking up similar recipies on the internet never works. Those were damn good olives though.

O

Oberon

I cracked a jar open and counted the bay leaves, chilies, and garlic cloves, but the salt content is always off, and looking up similar recipies on the internet never works. Those were damn good olives though.

Looks like you've got a hobby, then... re-creating great-grandma's recipe.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I LOVE olives. Kalamata olives in salads? Nothing beats it!!

olives.jpg

I love garlic-stuffed olives as well.. :laugh: NOT date food by any means though.

Many of our grocery stores around here (Krogers, HEB, etc.) have olive bars set up, with different types pickled in all sorts of ingredients and oils. My baby sister and I indulge in them whenever we can, so if you have a swanky place to shop at with fancy cheeses, they probably have an olive bar somewhere near-by. It is the cool thing to do now-a-days in Houston.

T

ThatGirl

Oh hell no, do you know how much work and time goes into every wrong batch? Pain in my ass. I don't know how the 86 year old used to do it. Anyway I won't try again till someone has some grand epiphany about the recipie.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I love fresh castelvetrano olives! They are absolutely buttery. Even people who don't love olives as much as I do agree they are delicious. Please try them, if you have an opportunity. Look for the big, globular, bright green uncured olives. Slightly alienlooking.

castelvetrano.jpg

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
my sis and I, on an evening that involved accidentally driving to Kentucky and visiting 3 wineries and a brewery, stopped by a middle eastern shop and bought a variety of different olives to try when we (eventually) got home... we bought some that were Barbie pink and that tasted deliciously meaty and salty... I have no idea what type of olives that they were but I'd be really happy to find them again :wubbie:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Gaeta - salt cured and oily, sometimes packed with herbs.
Nicoise - Very mellow tasting black olives.
Gemlik - These are the Turkish breakfast olives. Packed in oil.
Souri -From Lebanon. Oily and so good.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ever seen olives not sold in some kind of salted form already? I wish I could find some.