• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Plants that look kick ass to try and cultivate...

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hi y'all,

I've been REALLY into my garden this year <----------see my blog "Halla's Flpibook" - SP Blogs <---- shameless self promotion>

In the course of it all I realized I wanted more...MORE I TELL YOU!!!!

Here's some plants I might try to grow this season or next.
Anyone have any experiences with these varieties and/or this vendor?
-------------------------------

April 3, 2011

Belladonna Delphinium
http://springhillnursery.com/belladonna-delphinium-/p/74972/

JPEG:
bella_donna_delphinium_01.jpg

Gay Butterflies ButterFly Plant
http://springhillnursery.com/gay-butterflies-butterfly-plant/p/66750/

JPEG:
gay_butterfly_plant_02.jpg

Jumbo Shade Perennial Grab Bag (Several Variants/Combos/Etc.)
http://springhillnursery.com/shade-plants/c/1718/

JPEG:
jumbo_perennial_grab_bag_03.jpg

OR…

Jumbo Perrenial Grab Bag ***
http://springhillnursery.com/jumbo-shade-perennial-grab-bag/p/75852/

JPEG:
jumbo_SHADE_perennial_grab_bag_04.jpg

Mixed Hardy Fern Grab Bag
http://springhillnursery.com/mixed-hardy-fern-grab-bag/p/80200/

JPEG:
mixed_hardy_fern_bag_05.jpg

Hosta Grab Bag
http://springhillnursery.com/hosta-ground-cover-bargain-bag/p/75217/

JPEG:
hosta_grab_06.png

Astilbe Bargain Bag
http://springhillnursery.com/astilbe-bargain-bag/p/81111/

JPEG:
astilbe_bargain_bag_07.jpg

--------------

I'm also interested in growing a massive border of mixed poppies...no, no, not "Papaver Somniforum", the opium poppy, just the pretty flowers. :cheese:

Anyone have poppy growing tips to share for outdoor, part shade, and full sun environments?

Thanks in advance for any contributions you make to this thread!

:solidarity:

-Alex

Last edited:

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
get belladona's get them get them get them get them, they're so pretty if I didn't kill plants and had a garden I'd grow them.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cool. I sort of wish I had a yard now. :)

You don't need a yard, just a terra cotta pot, or a flower box, or a container of somekind where it has exposure to some sunlight throughout the day! :happy:

This garden looks bad ass.
The ultimate starter's gardem, it survives even drought:

Drought Tolerant Sun Garden - $84.99 (Yikes!)
81679.jpg

http://springhillnursery.com/drought-tolerant-sun-garden/p/83074/

Would be cool to see that one grow...

Cheers Gromit!

:cheers:

-Halla

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
If I ever live in a dry climate I'm so getting a drought resistant garden, the plants are soo pretty. though I did kill cacti, how do you do that? I don't know, but that's how awesome I am at keeping plants alive, plants that are impossible to kill I still kill.

gromit

likes this
You don't need a yard, just a terra cotta pot, or a flower box, or a container of somekind where it has exposure to some sunlight throughout the day! :happy:

Yeah it's true! I've been doing container gardening for years now. It's nice, but there is a limit to what you can do. I'm actually growing some spinach right now on my windowsill, though. :) There may not be enough direct light, but we shall see.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:wubbie:

I was going to get a bagged mix of this Texas/OK wildflower seeds for the small entry way that keeps killing everything else we try to plant in it.

http://shop.wildseedfarms.com/Texas_Oklahoma-Wildflower-Mix/productinfo/3341

We have two sago palms flanking our house, and climbing roses around the fountain that I need to fix. :laugh: I'll be sure to take pictures when I get around to it. My garden in the backyard is being bombarded with grasses and weeds, but I'm still enjoying it.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I ever live in a dry climate I'm so getting a drought resistant garden, the plants are soo pretty. though I did kill cacti, how do you do that? I don't know, but that's how awesome I am at keeping plants alive, plants that are impossible to kill I still kill.

You should try KUDZU, it will grow perfectly for you...and your whole town too! :laugh:

Yeah it's true! I've been doing container gardening for years now. It's nice, but there is a limit to what you can do. I'm actually growing some spinach right now on my windowsill, though. :) There may not be enough direct light, but we shall see.

That's the spirit!!! There's only one way to find out...jump rioght in! :woot:

I want a bright and bubbly garden of these:

littleshopofhorrors2.jpg

Can I feed my neighbors to your plant when it is mature enough? :whistling:

:wubbie:

I was going to get a bagged mix of this Texas/OK wildflower seeds for the small entry way that keeps killing everything else we try to plant in it.

http://shop.wildseedfarms.com/Texas_Oklahoma-Wildflower-Mix/productinfo/3341

That looks like an awesome mix of Texas wildflowers!!! :wubbie: I'd plant them in peat pots to start them off, and protect them frm squirrels (tree rats) and/or bunnies, and then just drop a bed of fresh topsoil down, insert the peat pots where desired, and pinestraw over it! Yeee Haaaaaw!

We have two sago palms flanking our house, and climbing roses around the fountain that I need to fix. :laugh:

I have two sago palms also! They are awesome! :holy: No climbing roses yet though... :dry:

I'll be sure to take pictures when I get around to it.

Please do! Garden pics kick A$$!!!! :rock:

My garden in the backyard is being bombarded with grasses and weeds, but I'm still enjoying it.

Interesting. There is this stuff called "Round-Up" it works really well... :laugh:
I kill the fuck out of my weeds with chemicals, at least in beds of plants I'm not eating from.
Otherwise it's an effort of pulling and digging! :angry:

G

Ginkgo

Does a saguaro cactus sound feasible for your garden? They require minimal water and can be used to remove those unsightly neighbor cars.

CactusCar.jpg

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does a saguaro cactus sound feasible for your garden? They require minimal water and can be used to remove those unsightly neighbor cars.

CactusCar.jpg

Tater,

Aren't those the species of cactii that people go into the desert to find big ones of and dig them up to sell them to people as landscape plants?

I know a well established Canary Island Date Palm can sell for well over $10,000.
I've seen two that went for $40,000 EACH (bought by a very large and well to do Baptist Church, they look phenomenal in front of the sanctuary).

I wonder what one of those big ass cactii go for? :thinking:

And how the hell would you dig it it up and transport it and re-plant it without getting all fooked up? :shock:

Life is crazy when you get too into plants!!!! :laugh:

-Halla

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's the best way to murder grass so you can plant there, without much in the way of tools? (seriously, I don't even have a shovel anymore)

I was thinking about just pinning down some garbage bags over the area and starving the grass to death, but I don't know if that would actually work.....grass is hard to kill. This is itty bitty just started growing grass, but it's still annoying.

Or I could just go buy some tools, lol.

A

A window to the soul

What's the best way to murder grass so you can plant there, without much in the way of tools? (seriously, I don't even have a shovel anymore)

I was thinking about just pinning down some garbage bags over the area and starving the grass to death, but I don't know if that would actually work.....grass is hard to kill. This is itty bitty just started growing grass, but it's still annoying.

Or I could just go buy some tools, lol.

That's actually the best way to do it. That should kill everything in about 7-10 days.

Grass killer spray, which you can combine with dish soap and some other stuff for a powerful kill concoction works within 1-2days. The downside is that there will be chemicals lingering in the soil for a period of time; meaning, a wait time before planting.

I'd throw a tarp over the area, stake it down, and leave it alone for a week.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aren't those the species of cactii that people go into the desert to find big ones of and dig them up to sell them to people as landscape plants?

Yes, but its totally illegal. Saguaros are only found in the Sonoran Desert.
Saguaro Cactus Fact Sheet.

What a lot of people don’t realize is that many of Arizona’s native plants are protected by law. These protected plants may not be removed from any lands, whether private or public, without the permission of the land owner and a permit from the Arizona Department of Agriculture. While land owners do have the right to remove native plants on their land, there is a process that must be followed. Protected species notification must be given to the Arizona Department of Agriculture and a permit must be issued prior to removal.

1. Highly Safeguarded – These plants are threatened for survival or are in danger of extinction. Protection includes not only the plants themselves, but their plant parts such as fruits, seeds and cuttings. A few examples of species in this category are saguaro (Carnegiea gigantea), Arizona willow (Salix arizonica), and some agave and cacti (Agavaceae and Cactaceae families).

If you are caught, the fine for uprooting them is something like $10,000 per plant.

Plus you may have to defend yourself against a 10,000 needles attack! ;)

[YOUTUBE="R7Xqy9KSlc4"]10,000 needles[/YOUTUBE]

They look kick ass and they may kick your ass :wink:

How about getting some native seeds for your garden? Its a wonderful way to support biodiversity and ensure you have plants that are well adapted to your conditions. :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
edit: Geez, I should read through a topic before posting more often. Someone had already posted my beloved Audrey.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:laugh:

I'm thinking that I want to somehow encourage dandelions to grow at least in one part of my yard.. they're a bit annoying plants, but the FLOWERS make some awesome recipes. :heart: One of these days I'll have all my little gardens set up around my house.

I'd love to have a wildflower garden of weeds and flowers that grow naturally..
A nice gothic and evening garden near my house to enjoy in the evenings.. All those black-colored flowers and evening bloomers. :heart: They look so amazing, the darker flowers.
A nice hummingbird and butterfly garden would rock, but far away from the house :3 I'm scared of bees! :laugh:
A nice, traditional "I can eat this shit!" garden would rock.
And of course an herb garden :heart:

....I wonder where I'll find time for all of these gardens. :doh:

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We have rose bushes in my gardens, like, the front garden and the back garden are the two gradens with my house in the middle, they're mostily red and pink and have been there since the 1960s, but I did plant a tequiler sunrise hyrbird rose bush last year and it looks cool this year, plus I mow the lawns and keep it tidy and keep down the ivy and dig up the weeds and such... We also have a bonfire and there is a concreted brook that still runs along the back of my garden, the path to it is the banks of that.
Only ever flooded once in my lifetime.

If you are caught, the fine for uprooting them is something like $10,000 per plant.
:rofl1:! That crime hadn't even occured to me. :rofl1:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Jasmine and Honeysuckle both smell amazing, even if they aren't as interesting to look at.

I've always wanted to try to grow tulips, but have never had the garden space to do so. Derp.

I have a houseplant right now, a shamrock.