User Tag List

First 123 Last

Ginkgo

Does a saguaro cactus sound feasible for your garden? They require minimal water and can be used to remove those unsightly neighbor cars.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Does a saguaro cactus sound feasible for your garden? They require minimal water and can be used to remove those unsightly neighbor cars.

Tater,

Aren't those the species of cactii that people go into the desert to find big ones of and dig them up to sell them to people as landscape plants?

I know a well established Canary Island Date Palm can sell for well over $10,000.
    I've seen two that went for $40,000 EACH (bought by a very large and well to do Baptist Church, they look phenomenal in front of the sanctuary).

I wonder what one of those big ass cactii go for?

And how the hell would you dig it it up and transport it and re-plant it without getting all fooked up?

Life is crazy when you get too into plants!!!!

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What's the best way to murder grass so you can plant there, without much in the way of tools? (seriously, I don't even have a shovel anymore)

I was thinking about just pinning down some garbage bags over the area and starving the grass to death, but I don't know if that would actually work.....grass is hard to kill. This is itty bitty just started growing grass, but it's still annoying.

Or I could just go buy some tools, lol.
    -end of thread-

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    What's the best way to murder grass so you can plant there, without much in the way of tools? (seriously, I don't even have a shovel anymore)

I was thinking about just pinning down some garbage bags over the area and starving the grass to death, but I don't know if that would actually work.....grass is hard to kill. This is itty bitty just started growing grass, but it's still annoying.

Or I could just go buy some tools, lol.
    That's actually the best way to do it. That should kill everything in about 7-10 days.

Grass killer spray, which you can combine with dish soap and some other stuff for a powerful kill concoction works within 1-2days. The downside is that there will be chemicals lingering in the soil for a period of time; meaning, a wait time before planting.

I'd throw a tarp over the area, stake it down, and leave it alone for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Aren't those the species of cactii that people go into the desert to find big ones of and dig them up to sell them to people as landscape plants?
    Yes, but its totally illegal. Saguaros are only found in the Sonoran Desert.
    Saguaro Cactus Fact Sheet.

What a lot of people don’t realize is that many of Arizona’s native plants are protected by law. These protected plants may not be removed from any lands, whether private or public, without the permission of the land owner and a permit from the Arizona Department of Agriculture. While land owners do have the right to remove native plants on their land, there is a process that must be followed. Protected species notification must be given to the Arizona Department of Agriculture and a permit must be issued prior to removal.

1. Highly Safeguarded – These plants are threatened for survival or are in danger of extinction. Protection includes not only the plants themselves, but their plant parts such as fruits, seeds and cuttings. A few examples of species in this category are saguaro (Carnegiea gigantea), Arizona willow (Salix arizonica), and some agave and cacti (Agavaceae and Cactaceae families).
    If you are caught, the fine for uprooting them is something like $10,000 per plant.

Plus you may have to defend yourself against a 10,000 needles attack!

[YOUTUBE="R7Xqy9KSlc4"]10,000 needles[/YOUTUBE]

They look kick ass and they may kick your ass

How about getting some native seeds for your garden? Its a wonderful way to support biodiversity and ensure you have plants that are well adapted to your conditions.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

edit: Geez, I should read through a topic before posting more often. Someone had already posted my beloved Audrey.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I'm thinking that I want to somehow encourage dandelions to grow at least in one part of my yard.. they're a bit annoying plants, but the FLOWERS make some awesome recipes. One of these days I'll have all my little gardens set up around my house.

I'd love to have a wildflower garden of weeds and flowers that grow naturally..
    A nice gothic and evening garden near my house to enjoy in the evenings.. All those black-colored flowers and evening bloomers. They look so amazing, the darker flowers.
    A nice hummingbird and butterfly garden would rock, but far away from the house :3 I'm scared of bees!
    A nice, traditional "I can eat this shit!" garden would rock.
    And of course an herb garden

....I wonder where I'll find time for all of these gardens.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

We have rose bushes in my gardens, like, the front garden and the back garden are the two gradens with my house in the middle, they're mostily red and pink and have been there since the 1960s, but I did plant a tequiler sunrise hyrbird rose bush last year and it looks cool this year, plus I mow the lawns and keep it tidy and keep down the ivy and dig up the weeds and such... We also have a bonfire and there is a concreted brook that still runs along the back of my garden, the path to it is the banks of that.
    Only ever flooded once in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    If you are caught, the fine for uprooting them is something like $10,000 per plant.
    ! That crime hadn't even occured to me.

MBTI
    STUF

Whoops.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Jasmine and Honeysuckle both smell amazing, even if they aren't as interesting to look at.

I've always wanted to try to grow tulips, but have never had the garden space to do so. Derp.

I have a houseplant right now, a shamrock.