User Tag List

12 Last

Default Parsnips! - and other root vegetables

I've been really getting into different root vegetables this winter, and this weekend I got a new cookbook with a recipe for parsnip rösti. Yumyumyum.

Have you ever had parsnips before? They are basically like white carrots, but they taste sweet and slightly tangy. I think I am maybe addicted to them. I had some of the leftovers for breakfast this morning and I brought some for lunch too!

Post your favorites, any unusual ones you've tried recently, any recipes you love, etc.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

figsfiggyfigs

Parsnip tastes like sweet carrots to me... They're good, although a little "perfume-y" for me..

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Are parsnips an uncommon vegetable in the US then? Come to think of it, I don't actually remember seeing them for sale there, so maybe they're not widely eaten. I know they're really a cold climate vegetable and tend to get better (much richer, sweeter taste develops) after the first frosts of winter. There are some lurking in the ground here that may still be edible (haven't dug any up for a while) and the horrible winter weather seems to have only improved the flavour in comparison to the ones in the shops, though they may well be too tough and stringy inside to eat now (were getting there last time I had any).

Here, they're usually eaten roasted as a secondary vegetable along with meat and roast potatoes - or a veggie roast if that's your preference. Some people add honey to roast them too, but personally I think that makes them sickly. They're also good for adding flavour (and maybe starch) to soups and stews, which is how I like to use them, particularly the old tough ones that wouldn't be so good for roasting but have a lot of flavour. They may be best off with a longer cooking time if you're going to use them like that. I think they go best with chicken or fish stews, and can probably add flavour to vegetarian recipes too. Red meat I'm not so sure about, though perhaps lamb would be worth a try if you're intending to stew it. Hope that helps.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

I don't know if they are that uncommon. My mom never fixed them for us, but I didn't have to go to a specialty food store to find them - they were at the cheap-o grocer by my apartment.

Anyway, do you live in the woods or something, ragashree??

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    Parsnip tastes like sweet carrots to me... They're good, although a little "perfume-y" for me..
    I think the perfume-y quality is what I like about them.

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I don't know if they are that uncommon. My mom never fixed them for us, but I didn't have to go to a specialty food store to find them - they were at the cheap-o grocer by my apartment.
    Ahhh... Of course, my not noticing the presence of something can encompass a whole spectrum of possibilities, from it actually not being there to the fact that I was unaware of holding it in my hand at the time due to extreme sensotardisation.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Anyway, do you live in the woods or something, ragashree??
    "Woods?" *looks around*

I tried them for the first time on a whim a couple of weeks ago. Roasted them like little red potatoes we did. They were mmm mmm good!
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've only recently tried parsnips, when I made colcannon. I'd made colcannon before without parsnips, but I liked them in it. But at my grocery store, you can only get them in a bag of like 4 of them, and I only needed one for the colcannon, so I've got a few left. I might have to try your recipe, gromit! I'd hate for them to go to waste.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    yupp

I've never had parsnips, but if they're like carrots can't see me being over the moon about them. Carrots are ok, not my favorite vegetable, and I'll eat them but I'd rather eat cucumbers,olives, and tomatoes
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I've never had parsnips, but if they're like carrots can't see me being over the moon about them. Carrots are ok, not my favorite vegetable, and I'll eat them but I'd rather eat cucumbers,olives, and tomatoes
    Huh... I wouldn't have said they were much like carrots at all - maybe more like a tropical root vegetable such as yam or cassava perhaps. But that may not help much! Sweet potato is vaguely similar as well actually.

Ha. I mean the shape is similar to carrots.

The other one I tried recently was Turnip. Made a yummy hearty soup/stew out of it.