User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parsnips! - and other root vegetables

I also like:
    - Jerusalem artichokes
    - purple top turnips
    - celeriac root
    - golden beets (sweeter and sunnier than their red brothers)

Woohoo root vegetables!

6w7 sx
    SEE Fi

I haven't had parsnips in a while (trying to remember the last time) but I eat turnips, grew up eating them raw with salt on them for snacks, and I also love beets and radishes. I just ate radish yesterday with my lunch. Yams and sweet potatoes are good stuff, and of course most people like potatoes.

Carrots I like, but don't love, I have to be in the mood for them and prefer to have them in stews (with meat and other vegetables) or raw with dip.

Rutabaga pie is tradtionally made back home by some of my relatives (and many Southern people) ...but one thing I recently learned to make in the past few months with root vegetables is borscht.

Homemade borscht is freaking awesome. I linked a good recipe in my blog a while back.
    "Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul." - Edward Abbey

SEE-Fi /Gamma

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    The other one I tried recently was Turnip. Made a yummy hearty soup/stew out of it.
    I assume by "turnip" you mean this:

and not this:

The item below is a rutabaga. They have a tough, dense texture and a sharp, strong taste, and I don't even like them alone. In stews and soups, however, the flavor mellows out considerably but is still present, and they become soft but not nearly as much as carrots, turnips, or potatoes. Stew without rutabaga now tastes bland to me. I came up with a recipe awhile ago that I call "root soup", involving rutabaga, carrots, potatoes, sausage, and wild rice. One could add turnip or parsnip as well. I puree about half of the collected root vegetables to make a nice thick broth.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

Senior Member Array

Not particular about parsnips but something similar are daikon radishes which in my opinion only taste good in kimchee, but is well loved by many asians like the Japanese, Chinese and Koreans. Not sure about other asians.

Regular radishes when young and tender, are great for veggie dip dishes.

And one of the most hated root veggies to exist, the turnip. Surprisingly, they taste good in the following recipe which I serve at Christmas. There's never any leftovers when served.

Boil 1/3 turnip, 2/3 carrots until tender. Mash together with some brown sugar. In a frying pan, melt butter and heat until brown and bubbly, add bread crumbs, cinnamon, brown sugar, stirring until the sugar carmelises and it becomes a crumbly topping. Sprinkle over mashed turnips/carrots in an oven proof casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour so the topping gets browned.

Quote Originally Posted by allegorystory View Post
    - golden beets (sweeter and sunnier than their red brothers)
    I don't care for red beets but roasted golden mmmmmm. Besides raw, roasted vegetables are our favorite way to have them.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.