User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default Anyone Familar with Chicago, specifically Pilsen?

I know this probably the wrong forum to ask, but I found a studio in Pilsen 1800 block of S. Laflin right off the 18 bus stop and 3 blocks from the Pink Line. I've heard mixed things about Pilsen, some people say it's safe others say it's not. It's a nice apartment and my friend lives in another apartment in the same building. The rent's 550 a month and and it's hard wood floors in excellent condition, comes with appliances, free internet. It's actually a three story house the family that rents it out lives on the first 2 floor and the 3rd floor has been converted into 3 studio apartments, my concern is I often get out of class at 10pm so I'm not sure how safe I'm going to feel walking home late at night. I'm a single female in her 20s. I'm considering it because of the price, and I know it's not the ghetto, and I've looked at crime stats and very low violent crime in the area, but you can't know until you move there. My friend assures me it's safe. Think I'd be better off spending extra 200 dollars on the northside where I know for a fact it's safe and move into a crappier and smaller studio?

advantages: my friend who's male 29 and has been through pretty rough times will be living in the same building, cheap mexican food, close to transit, less than 15 minutes to campus, cheap rent (for chicago), low violent crime, though I know there use to be gang activity in the area, but from my understanding that's been dealt with, 3 blocks from an aldi,

disadvntages:not familar with the neighborhood, don't know what it's like after 10pm,

I'm thinking maybe should check out the neighborhood at night sometime, and maybe talk to some of the locals.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    yupp

I'm torn, but I think I am going to take the place, It's cheap rent, but very nice spacious apartment, It's considered mostly middle class, the bus ride is less than 15 minutes to campus, I can take the pink line to clark/lake and transfer to any other line to go places, lots of grocery stores near by (mostly mexican, but there is an aldi in the area, though it's far enough that I'll probably use peapod one a month and use aldi to supplement as needed)
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Hey prp,

Here's a link with info on just about everything (including crimes) for where you are looking: http://chicago.everyblock.com/street...st/1800-1829s/. I can't comment on how safe the neighborhood is, but you can also find discussions on yelp and other sites where people are asking the exact same questions. (here's one on yelp: http://www.yelp.com/topic/chicago-living-in-pilsen)

Good luck with your new place!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    yupp

yeah I looked there.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ I figured you probably had, but wanted to share anyway. Too bad about your other place, I saw this thread and figured that you were forced to leave the condo because that other guy wasn't paying the maintenance.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    yupp

we're actually not getting kicked out, I'm moving in june for other reasons. It's not guaranteed this place will still be available than but I'm going to talk to the owners and see if they can hold the place for me. It's an amazing deal.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

It would be your own place too, a bonus. And since you have until June, you have time to maybe check out the neighborhood at night, see what it's like, before you make the final decision. Hope it all works out the way you want.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    yupp

yes, and I'll have a friend right across the hall from me. I was mostly looking up north off the red line, but 550 here usually gets you a shitty apartment with lots of problems. 300 you get a slum apartment. It's closer to campus than I would be if I moved north. I can't afford a studio downtown so I know I'm moving out of downtown.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I like too that you will have a friend nearby, that's reassuring.

Nothing good off the blue line though? Or, closer than Pilsen, like little Italy?
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    yupp

I'd prefer not to live off the blue line.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all