• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone Familar with Chicago, specifically Pilsen?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I know this probably the wrong forum to ask, but I found a studio in Pilsen 1800 block of S. Laflin right off the 18 bus stop and 3 blocks from the Pink Line. I've heard mixed things about Pilsen, some people say it's safe others say it's not. It's a nice apartment and my friend lives in another apartment in the same building. The rent's 550 a month and and it's hard wood floors in excellent condition, comes with appliances, free internet. It's actually a three story house the family that rents it out lives on the first 2 floor and the 3rd floor has been converted into 3 studio apartments, my concern is I often get out of class at 10pm so I'm not sure how safe I'm going to feel walking home late at night. I'm a single female in her 20s. I'm considering it because of the price, and I know it's not the ghetto, and I've looked at crime stats and very low violent crime in the area, but you can't know until you move there. My friend assures me it's safe. Think I'd be better off spending extra 200 dollars on the northside where I know for a fact it's safe and move into a crappier and smaller studio?

advantages: my friend who's male 29 and has been through pretty rough times will be living in the same building, cheap mexican food, close to transit, less than 15 minutes to campus, cheap rent (for chicago), low violent crime, though I know there use to be gang activity in the area, but from my understanding that's been dealt with, 3 blocks from an aldi,

disadvntages:not familar with the neighborhood, don't know what it's like after 10pm,

I'm thinking maybe should check out the neighborhood at night sometime, and maybe talk to some of the locals.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm torn, but I think I am going to take the place, It's cheap rent, but very nice spacious apartment, It's considered mostly middle class, the bus ride is less than 15 minutes to campus, I can take the pink line to clark/lake and transfer to any other line to go places, lots of grocery stores near by (mostly mexican, but there is an aldi in the area, though it's far enough that I'll probably use peapod one a month and use aldi to supplement as needed)

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
^ I figured you probably had, but wanted to share anyway. Too bad about your other place, I saw this thread and figured that you were forced to leave the condo because that other guy wasn't paying the maintenance.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
we're actually not getting kicked out, I'm moving in june for other reasons. It's not guaranteed this place will still be available than but I'm going to talk to the owners and see if they can hold the place for me. It's an amazing deal.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
It would be your own place too, a bonus. And since you have until June, you have time to maybe check out the neighborhood at night, see what it's like, before you make the final decision. Hope it all works out the way you want. :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yes, and I'll have a friend right across the hall from me. I was mostly looking up north off the red line, but 550 here usually gets you a shitty apartment with lots of problems. 300 you get a slum apartment. It's closer to campus than I would be if I moved north. I can't afford a studio downtown so I know I'm moving out of downtown.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I like too that you will have a friend nearby, that's reassuring.

Nothing good off the blue line though? Or, closer than Pilsen, like little Italy?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
another advantage is like 8 grocery stores all indpendently owned within a 10 block radius including meat and produce markets. plus it's a relatively quiet neighborhood, with lot of street festivels through out the summer.