User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 60

  1. #31
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,526

    Smile Ensconced

    At first I thought I would like to live on a desert island, for a long time I thought I would like to live on a desert island, but never did.

    Then I thought I would like to live on campus, and I did.

    Then I thought I would like to live in a park in a Canberra suburb, but instead I live in the centre of Canberra with all the amenities. Everyday I pass the window of a Real Estate Agent and I look in the window of all the rural properties marketed as 'escapes'. And I think at last I have nothing to escape from and have no need for desert islands, outer suburbs or rural escapes. I am ensconced at the heart of the nation.

  2. #32
    The Eighth Colour Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL
    Posts
    1,366

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    Considering how much time many americans (myself included) spend in their cars, it seems like a good car is an enjoyable thing to spend some income on.
    But it is worth moving further out into the suburbs with a longer commute time, just so you can spend more quality time in a more expensive automobile?

  3. #33
    Cheeseburgers freeeekyyy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    1,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    But it is worth moving further out into the suburbs with a longer commute time, just so you can spend more quality time in a more expensive automobile?
    No. It's usually the other way around, though. A lot of people don't like city life, so they either move out of the city or already live out of the city. Commutes are a necessity, not something enjoyable. But you might as well make the best of it...
    You lose.

    _______

    RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

    Johari Window|Nohari Window

  4. #34
    Senior Member Chaotic Harmony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    I can't fathom living like that. Thankfully, my husband and I share the same mindset. We'd rather have nice things, that weren't over the top. We both have cars that get really good gas mileage.... We shopped around and found a decent sized home that had been on the market long enough that it was marked down to an amazing price for the neighborhood. We're in a $200,000 neighborhood, and paid $119,000 for our house... Thank you former owners for not updating anything! We have a three bedroom house, which fits our needs perfectly. We'll have one room for us, one for the baby, and then one with our office/exercise stuff. There are only two of us right now, and we only have two cars. We recently got rid of his car for a newer car so when the baby is here we've both got four-doors....he had a coupe before.

    Most of the stuff we purchase is paid in cash. I recently completely paid off one of my credit cards, and I'm working on paying off the other one. I only have two, he has none. We both got rid of our gym memberships to save a little bit of money. We've got some exercise stuff at the house, and we can both use the fitness center at my work if we want more.

    Most of my work experience was working for a financial company... So I monitor my budget, bills, and all that jazz pretty closely... And my husband was a marketing and finance major... So he's just as money conscience as I am.

  5. #35
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    This thread did make me think of the tiny house movement I keep reading about. There is something really attractive about it.

    http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

    That is a BIT TOO small for me

    One living room/kitchen/dining room (enough space for a small couch, T.V., living room table, kitchen/dining room table and some general space to move about), one bathroom, and a bedroom... (enough space for clothes, a desk with a computer, a bed[depending on what size seems appropriate,] storage space. Living room, dining room, and kitchen would be in close proximity to each other) bare minimum. Which... really speaks out a small sized apartment. Not to forget, to not live in the middle of nowhere.

  6. #36
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I can't fathom living like that. Thankfully, my husband and I share the same mindset. We'd rather have nice things, that weren't over the top. We both have cars that get really good gas mileage.... We shopped around and found a decent sized home that had been on the market long enough that it was marked down to an amazing price for the neighborhood. We're in a $200,000 neighborhood, and paid $119,000 for our house... Thank you former owners for not updating anything! We have a three bedroom house, which fits our needs perfectly. We'll have one room for us, one for the baby, and then one with our office/exercise stuff. There are only two of us right now, and we only have two cars. We recently got rid of his car for a newer car so when the baby is here we've both got four-doors....he had a coupe before.

    Most of the stuff we purchase is paid in cash. I recently completely paid off one of my credit cards, and I'm working on paying off the other one. I only have two, he has none. We both got rid of our gym memberships to save a little bit of money. We've got some exercise stuff at the house, and we can both use the fitness center at my work if we want more.

    Most of my work experience was working for a financial company... So I monitor my budget, bills, and all that jazz pretty closely... And my husband was a marketing and finance major... So he's just as money conscience as I am.
    I want to live in your city! There isn't a 3 bedroom house in my city in a decent neighborhood for under $600K. Living on the West side, you're looking at around $1M.

  7. #37
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    I actually like big houses, but I like entertainment more; I'd prefer disposable income if I had to choose between them. On the other hand, I get a lot of utility out of privacy (apartment walls are too thin) and big yards full of trees (living amongst steel and concrete would be too depressing for me), so I would pick a small house over an apartment any day.

  8. #38
    Senior Member Chaotic Harmony's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Posts
    1,436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I want to live in your city! There isn't a 3 bedroom house in my city in a decent neighborhood for under $600K. Living on the West side, you're looking at around $1M.
    We're probably on a lot lower of a pay scale. A couple who makes about $65,000 combined income can survive here fairly comfortably. I imagine that's probably considered poverty in certain areas. And my 3-bedroom house is just over 1500 sq ft, not sure how big they would be out in your city.

  9. #39
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I actually like big houses, but I like entertainment more; I'd prefer disposable income if I had to choose between them. On the other hand, I get a lot of utility out of privacy (apartment walls are too thin) and big yards full of trees (living amongst steel and concrete would be too depressing for me), so I would pick a small house over an apartment any day.
    My ideal would be to live in a tiny cottage, but that's much less likely to happen than the apartment thing.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  10. #40
    No moss growing on me Giggly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so
    Posts
    9,666

    Default

    I am happiest with simplicity. My definition of simplicity, meaning comfortable but not excessive. Occasionally I'll admire lavish things from a far but I wouldn't actually want to have them. I admire them best from a far. Sort of like a Monet painting.... You may admire and appreciate one but would you really want to own one? Not really. That would be overload. I also know I'm different from the norm in that I just don't care about material possessions, fads, and keeping up with the Jonses like other people I know do. Perhaps I have ADD but owning lavish possessions lose their appeal to me after about a month or two unless they are extremely functional in a practical way in my life.

    Not to mention that I'd go crazy with a lot of clutter. Being a collector has never appealed to me. I like feeling and being "lighter" than that and I definitely despise the idea of being a financial, mental or physical slave to material possessions or the Joneses.

    However for some unknown reason, whenever I tell people (esp men) this, they don't believe me.

Similar Threads

  1. INTJ seems more literal than ISTJ?
    By The Ü™ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 03:33 PM
  2. The Human Mind - the sum of its parts or something more?
    By Geoff in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO