User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I've also seen the opposite work in a negative way. I've known people that a relatively poor, live in a shitty small house and fill it with all sorts of wide screen TVs and huge stereo systems. They also spend A LOT on drinking and gambling, then complain all the time they don't have any money. It really annoys me because they won't acknowledge that, to a degree, their poverty is a result of their choices.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

A larger house than you need doesn't make much sense. I consider a nice car to be one part of the measure of "quality of life" though. It's not because of status either. A nice car offers a smooth ride, quick acceleration, quiet, comfortable interior and quality sound system. Considering how much time many americans (myself included) spend in their cars, it seems like a good car is an enjoyable thing to spend some income on.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think people are sort of imprisoning themselves in their own massive investments.
    You are exactly right. I have one of those houses and cars. I guess I can afford them pretty well but for many years it was a stretch and I don't think it's worth it to do.

At least on average houses don't go down in value (last couple years are an exception).

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I've also seen the opposite work in a negative way. I've known people that a relatively poor, live in a shitty small house and fill it with all sorts of wide screen TVs and huge stereo systems. They also spend A LOT on drinking and gambling, then complain all the time they don't have any money. It really annoys me because they won't acknowledge that, to a degree, their poverty is a result of their choices.
    Yeah, I think between the two extremes, that's probably worse. At least a house will make you some money, under normal economic conditions anyway.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

A lot of empty space = not my thing. So, if you were to ask me what I would choose at this time, I would rather have a smaller home/big apartment than spend all that money in a big home in which I really don't need.

The only time living in a bigger home seems valid is if a family has actually started, or if the cost of houses are down (which they are... if you can get them.) But if you don't want to have to be tied to one place just yet, I don't see why buying a home right now is a good choice. Honestly, I lived in both an apartment and a house. As long as the place isn't ghetto, I wouldn't mind living in an apartment instead of a house.

But that is just me.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Socionics
    ENFJ

We've recently moved to a much smaller house than before (about 100m2 smaller), but we plan to expand it by about 60m2 in the future. While I love the fact that it's less to take care of, we're currently 2 Es who are unhappy about not being able to invite 10+ people over anytime. We often have night guests, and ATM we don't have a dedicated guest bedroom. I would never have a bigger house than I actually need and use, that's just a waste IMO. If I lived alone (not likely) I definitely would do with a 50 - 80m2 appartment.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I think people are missing out on a lot of indulgences in life this way. I think people are sort of imprisoning themselves in their own massive investments. The more I think about this, the better an idea it sounds like. The main question in it for me is if I can find an SO would be comfortable with it the way I am, or if I get stuck with someone who's into that whole big house, three car thing.

Also, how many people do you think have similar thoughts to mine? Am I actually pretty common, or really anomalous?
    I am with you on this. I'm not even one of those people and I feel imprisoned by owning a house, furniture and other large things. My reply I typed up got vanished, so I am retyping a new reply..ughh. There were times I wanted to move to a new state, but was tied down with a house/stuff etc. and felt weight down.

After having bought a very old house this summer, I realized how expensive PA utilities are. It's cost $450/mo to heat and I still have to wear a jacket inside. That is more than double what I'm used to paying (but less than neighbors)....but some of that is having leaky windows/no insulation in places. Nonetheless, once we sell this house, I will be renting a smaller place and maybe eventually buy a smaller home, if I ever decide to do that again. There are homes around me that must cost well over $1000/mo to heat/cool!

Keeping up a home is a lot of work. I live around really big homes that must require a full time housekeeper and/or grounds crew, but they can probably afford it.
    I think the ultra rich (top2%) buy giant homes, because its a long term value holder (like art and gold) and a tax write off (and some ego thrown in). Then there is the rest who live beyond their means, which makes no sense. Having 3 cars is nuts too. I've known people how make $90k/yr and can't get a company credit card because their credit is so bad or combined six fig incomes who live check to check. Its silly. I never made anywhere near that much money and have always lived below my means. I don't spend money on frivolous overpriced stuff (starbucks, $2 sodas, booze, cigs, clothes etc) or go out to fancy restaurants all the time. I go the the extreme when I grocery shop. I only buy things at "fair" prices and buy lots of them when on sale. If something isn't at my price point, I just don't buy it and get some other alternate product. People don't understand the power of the consumer and pay whatever price, because they can't say "no". These are they same people that drive up home prices and overpay (I'm simplifying, but it is part of the equation).

I never buy things I can't afford. I pay off my credit care every month and cash in the free points for cash a few times a year. I make less money than a lot of people, but I manage to save money still. I'd rather spend my money on travelling or fun splurges than buy bigger/better homes/cars/boats etc. or just work less. I've actually been selling off some of my lesser used toys, because I just don't need them anymore and I want to have less "stuff". The best things in life are free anyway.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

people get things all confused when they're house shopping i think...they usually keep wanting the best they can possibly afford without really looking at what they'll be giving up by stretching their budget. my ex and i did that...we had an awesome house in a super cool neighborhood but...i couldn't get a latte whenever i felt like it...not that that is the most important thing but when you have to constantly watch your spending it does greatly lesson your overall enjoyment. sometimes it takes going through the experience to fully understand what your priorities are. i still want an awesome house in a neighborhood i love but have learned that i can be happy living with a lot less.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I generally agree with you Magic, although I can think about at least one exception. Certain houses are built in a beautifully scenic area (on the top of a hill overlooking the sea, near a beautiful lake with mountains as background, etc.), and I can understand paying a lot of money for their purchase.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I think a lot of people go and get a mortgage and they say ok, you're approved to $200k. Great but that doesn't mean you have to buy a house that's $200k. We bought a small-ish house (3 br, 2 bath) and put an addition on. We made it just how we wanted and well within our comfort zone for a mortgage. My husband has a vehicle provided by work (Ford Fusion) and I have a SUV we paid cash for and used. Plus we have an older Chevy pickup we use often for home improvement purchases and large items and it comes in handy when we pull our boat out for the winter and put it in come summer. The boat is a luxury item, true but we live on a lake, all our kids waterski and wake board so it get's a lot of use. Otherwise we don't live beyond our means and save. This thread did make me think of the tiny house movement I keep reading about. There is something really attractive about it.

http://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/

I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.