123 Last

Thread: Types of rice

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Types of rice

I'm one of those people who really just.... don't find much worth in eating plain long grain white rice. It's the most bland and nutrient deprived, diabetes breeding food, imo. Its brown version isn't that great either. I've recently gotten outside of the box, and have been trying different varieties like jasmine and basamati. Of the white rice varieties, jasmine is probably my fav.

A couple weeks ago I got some BROWN jasmine rice to cook, and prepared it with a nut brown ale (beer) and some salt and coconut oil. I seriously never thought rice could have so much good flavor to it! And it's not chewy or anything. It's soft, delicious, good for you, and doesn't make my blood sugar spike like Mt. Everest. I was truly surprised how good it tasted, lol. I've been wanting to try a variety thats said to be similar, called red jasmine or red cargo rice.

So, what are your fav varieties of rice? Know any more exotic types?

For breakfast I sometimes mix a little sesame oil and soy sauce in to my cooked Calrose Rice, I like it plain too though .
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

The Buddha Jasmine rice (must be new crop) is my favourite long grain white rice. It's moist and has a slightly sweet, nutty flavour to it. Here's the only brand I buy:

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

If you have not had it, try brown basmati rice sometime! if its actual indian brown basmati vs california, its even tastier! but they are both delicious! very nutty flavor and smells like popcorn while cooking!!! (add 2 tablespoons extra water first time you make it however, as ive noticed most instructions on the package end up with the rice being a bit to firm...) Oh oh! and do NOT add salt to the water or the rice till AFTER its done cooking, with the brown basmati, it will cook a bit more evenly and thoroughly this way...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Wild rice is awesome! It's long grain and a dark brown colour and bursts open as it's cooked. It's a little expensive, but can be mixed with other stuff if you like. Also, Costco (Sam's Club) makes a really nice mix of different types of rice which is mostly brown or exotic varieties all mixed together. An interesting kind of rice to try is something that is kind of a purplish blue colour - similar to blue potatoes that way!

Most rice is much tastier cooked with chicken broth (part or all) rather than water. Moroccan spices or duqqa spice are a nice addition, or a few squirts of lemon juice or some garlic as it cooks (the garlic is pretty mild if it is cooked with the rice). Brown basmati is really nice tasting too.

I would also highly recommend mixing rice and whole grains like quinoa, barley, oats or wheat together. This will also be great for your blood sugar and provides a variety of textures. I often throw a little flax or hemp seed in too. Flax will give you fibre and omega 3s (although it has to be either blended or broken open somehow to get the oils out of it). Hemp seed has protein and is very filling.

Another awesome member. Curator's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram

I love quinoa!...mmmmmm its a complete protein too, Kaniwa is similar in flavor, more protein content, cheaper, much smaller though(about a third of the size), and red!

I loooooove wild rice too im all hungry now fidelia lol:P

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Funny how you describe the traditional white long-grain as diabetes-inducing when we Chinese people having been eating it for almost forever with no problems.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like normal white rice a LOT (I think it's the long grain?). I could eat it every day. It goes with anything, and it has a great taste even by itself. The other varieties of rice are good as well, but white rice remains my favorite.

I also enjoy barley and other grains in addition to rice.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I always have Calrose short grain rice on hand. I also have a kickass fuzzy logic rice cooker, you can keep cooked rice in it for up to 11 hours (I don't ever need to do that). Lately for lunch I've been packing onigiri. Rice is so much more convinent than bread as a main grain for storage purposes.

I like other types of rice. I use long grain white rice to make my arroz mexicano. And also make wild rice (not actually rice) with chicken broth, thyme and almond slivers. I have sticky rice, not sure what to do with it, though.

As far as I understand it, all white rice types are equally 'bad' for you. They have bran milled off, which provides fiber and other nutrients.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Qlippoth View Post
    As far as I understand it, all white rice types are equally 'bad' for you. They have bran milled off, which provides fiber and other nutrients.
    So, is white rice really bad for you, or is it just not as good for you as other types?