• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Types of rice

rav3n

"I am Asian watch me roar, in numbers too great to ignore..."

:laugh:

Who better to respond to a rice thread? :hug:

wolfy

awsm
I'm not Asian... I live in Japan. I'll post. I eat a lot of white short grain rice. How couldn't I? It's everywhere. Sometimes we mix brown rice in. There are some fancy brands that people pay a lot of money for but to tell the truth I am all about the okazu (main dish).

Who likes mochi?

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
I looooooooooooooooove mochi over green tea ice cream!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
"I am Asian watch me roar, in numbers too great to ignore..."

:laugh:

Who better to respond to a rice thread? :hug:

I might be missing something here, but why are Asians supposed to understand rice better than anyone else? Hasn't rice always been pretty much everywhere?

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
not really Ath, kind of, but its always been a main food crop in asian countries for most of their history, where as most of the rest of the world primarily consumed other grains...

Ingrid in grids

Try wild rice through brown, or through white.

I like making a wild rice salad. Put wild rice through white rice (or brown rice, if you prefer). Then put through cranberries, some toasted slivered almonds and coriander. For dressing, use ginger with OJ. This results in a big bowl o' YUM!

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mochi ice cream is so good!!! :)

So about that sticky rice I was talking about...you make it in a special basket called Isan Bamboo Sticky Rice Basket:

sticky+rice+3_web.jpg

Yum yummmm

rav3n

I might be missing something here, but why are Asians supposed to understand rice better than anyone else? Hasn't rice always been pretty much everywhere?
It's a play on rice being used to describe asian influence so I'm just goofing around with our stereotype. :)

Yukimi Daifuku? I like coffee daifuku. Coffee syrup and cream wrapped in mochi. My favourite way is toasted mochi with soy sauce wrapped in nori. Isobeyaki.
The former is delicious while the latter I haven't tried. Now I have to try it so thanks for the recommendation!

Mochi ice cream is so good!!! :)

So about that sticky rice I was talking about...you make it in a special basket called Isan Bamboo Sticky Rice Basket:

sticky+rice+3_web.jpg

Yum yummmm
Yes, that's it! A local restaurant makes a specialty dish where they add corn and a few other ingredients to the rice and then top it with lobster that's been wok fried with their chef's secret ingredients. Absolutely to die for! Heart, heart, heart.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The video quality isnt the best and the music is cheesy :) but this lady is a pretty darn good cook, for Korean cooking tips check out her website :)

http://www.maangchi.com/

Dukbokki is delish :) P.S. You can eat rice cake by itself too (the fresh non frozen kind of course), dipped in sugar. yummy :)

[youtube=QUmBqvMv89E]dukbokki (hot and spicy rice cake)[/youtube]

This rice drink is pretty good too...

[youtube=neLyt1h5-1o]Sikhye (Korean rice dessert drink)[/youtube]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Green tea mochi ice cream bawlz ftw

P.S. I'm cooking Trader Joe's white basmati rice right now.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
Green tea mochi ice cream bawlz ftw.

yup!!! I LOVE those!!!I made some banana/vanilla whole fruit sorbet which I wrapped in cinnamon mochi that was really tasty too... I failed at trying to recreate the green tea ones,, only tried once though...

Dimples5987

For me, the best kind of rice is the regular Brown Rice, the worst is quick-cook White Rice (no Nutritional value)
If you are cooking specific dishes then certain rice varieties are better than others.

top singapore restaurants

Last edited:

rav3n

Green tea mochi ice cream bawlz ftw

P.S. I'm cooking Trader Joe's white basmati rice right now.

yup!!! I LOVE those!!!I made some banana/vanilla whole fruit sorbet which I wrapped in cinnamon mochi that was really tasty too... I failed at trying to recreate the green tea ones,, only tried once though...
Yahhhh! More mochi ball lovers. People seem to love or hate them with a passion.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

:worthy:

Explain this "cinnamon mochi" thing to me, please. I was only aware of the green tea, chocolate, mango and is there strawberry or am I making that up? I lub cinnamon.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
when making the Mochi, I just mixed cinnamon in from the beginning... ^_^ no different from a basic mochi recipe other than the addition of cinnamon...

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I like rice that has a good taste (basmati and that sort). Once I ate rice at my aunts and that rice had no taste at all. "Well, there are many yummy yummy veggies on the table that you can use to add taste to the rice," yeah right! What's the use of any kind of food when it doesn't have a taste anyways? I don't get it.