• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Global warming

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I'm more worried about another ice age than global warming. The planet is relatively cool compared to the planet's history, despite the recent warming trend. Warmer temperatures have generally triggered increases in biodiversity throughout Earth's history (Cambrian period and Mesozoic era). While I don't disagree with the idea that we're currently witnessing a mass extinction(due to habitat destruction), I think we'll see another drastic increase in biodiversity if this warming trend continues. Well, we won't see it, but our ancestors will. My point? The climate will NEVER be static. Global warming is good.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Nocapszy, to be fair, marking intellectual territory seems to be your central motif. It wasn't really an intuitive stretch to go there.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe. Most of the time when I'm bitching I'm not entirely sure whether I'm showing off, like you say, or if I'm just trying to get people to prove things, like I say (relevant or not) or just arguing for fun, like prote says. Maybe all three.

Also, if I really am trolling like that, why is anyone bothering to convince me?

I think because you're giving me the benefit of the doubt by allowing the possibility that I might just be interested to find out about this, which is usually the initial intention of any thread I start. That, I am sure of.

I remain unconvinced that what we're doing is the sole, or even a truly major cause for any significant temperature rise. What about solar activity? Not the light rays, that's kind of obvious. Solar winds. Moving the magnetic fields. Would that not change the way the atmosphere responds to radiation, thence encouraging the collection and condensation of greenhouse gases, those same thermal mousetraps?

I'm looking it up right now but I haven't found anything. Yet.

persianeyes

MBTI Type
INFP
Whaddayou fuckers think?

I think it's a bunch of overhyped bourgeois bull, and I'm allowed to say that because I'm not a republican.

lol i'm not a republican either and I agree with u

My earth science teacher in high school would tell us that global warming and global cooling has been accuring since the beginning of time, it's nothing new. We shouldn't be worrying too much about it...
But, we should be worried about polution and how to eliminate that, I'm surprized that scientist choose to scare ppl into keeping the enviroment clean. :huh:

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My earth science teacher in high school would tell us that global warming and global cooling has been accuring since the beginning of time, it's nothing new. We shouldn't be worrying too much about it...

See, I find that argument lame. Sure, over the millenia the global climate has shifted back and forth, but that was the result of natural processes on a more geologic time scale.

I don't have any books or articles on me at the moment to reference, but others have already posted with some of that information. But I will say that we ARE the source of the elevation of all kinds of substances in the atmosphere. I find it silly to think that that artificial elevation isn't going to impact things in a way that is much more sudden, in geological timeframes, than it would have been otherwise. How could it not? Global warming or not (although personally I am convinced global warming is quite real), there's still a whole lot of other problems to be dealt with, as a result of what WE are doing to the atmosphere.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Maybe. Most of the time when I'm bitching I'm not entirely sure whether I'm showing off, like you say, or if I'm just trying to get people to prove things, like I say (relevant or not) or just arguing for fun, like prote says. Maybe all three.

Also, if I really am trolling like that, why is anyone bothering to convince me?

Well, I didn't classify it as trolling, although it's close sometimes. And I'm not really trying to convince you, I'm just a pedantic asshole who sees an opportunity to share a morsel of knowledge I happen to have, and can't resist it.

Also, although I think you like to flex your testes a lot, I still see something open about you (you haven't classified me as a dumbass for kind of liking Dr. Fucking Phil, for example) and I'm a "positive discipline" kind of person so I like to engage that part of you as much as possible instead of the testes-flexing part.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I spelt it Dr. Phucking Phil, thank you very much. :)

Yeah, basically I just don't let anyone tell me what I think. Maybe that's what you mean by flexion of the sacs.

Is this thread about me? I can't remember now.

Oh and the whole thing about me being open, that's why I started this thread.

------------------------------------------------------

I still haven't found anything about the solar winds. Maybe I stepped over the line with that one. Or maybe all the scientists are too scared to check it out.

Edit: Nevermind

sassafrassquatch

I don't believe in Global Warming. It's a cold, cold, winter. Some places are setting record cold.
not_this_shit_again.jpg

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
As long as it all happens after I'm dead, I don't care what happens. Satan himself could pick up the Earth, put it in an oversized handcart and wheel it through the gates of hell for all of my concern.

Global warming just sounds like a rehashed version of the biblical end of days. Both concepts suggest that because of our sins the planet is going to be taken out from under us, and both have the vague stink of hubris.