• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pet Dogs

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've always found the idea of humans "owning" another creature to be a bit silly- I'm pretty sure that my dog thinks that I'm his pet human after all! :rofl1: After watching an interesting documentary the other day on the domestication of dogs though I started to wonder what benefits domestication of dogs has for both the dogs and the humans! Why do we have pets? What do pets do for us?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Hi, w,

I just started watching a lot of Dog Whisperer and I can relate it to your question. Dogs and humans can benefit each other by calming each other down. Humans who assume dominant roles with their dogs (through calm and assertive behavior and cognition) can submit their dogs and release a lot of nervous tension. Both end up being more peaceful as they let go of anxiety and accept security (which is the same thing, imo).

Other advantages: companionship, fun, exercise, distraction, outlet for affection, narcissism, and nostalgia.

Nice observation about "owning" creatures, btw. It is pretty ridiculous to think that someone can own a creature. Then again, all property rights (even in your computer) exist by virtue of mutual agreement. No one really "owns" anything.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I originally got my dog as a poor man's security system, not for attacking or guarding, just for barking and a deterrent. I got our second dog as a companion for her. They are only medium-sized dogs. One is way friendly and the other is extremely shy, but people are sometimes afraid of them, which puzzles me no end. I don't mind it though. People that don't know us are welcome to think we have scary dogs.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ooh- I love the Dog Whisperer! I think that the difference between what people think that a dog is conveying through its body language and what the dog actually is saying is rather interesting- and it makes it a lot easier to understand the dynamics between pet and owner if you understand what your dog means by rolling over on its back or putting its paw on your computer keyboard (damned dog :dry:)

The fact that dogs are naturally social animals who have a firm beleif in social heirarchies and are used to communicating social position by body language makes human/dog or dog/dog interaction such a fascinating (and useful) thing to study! (and yes- I'll admit to learning things on The Dog Whisperer and trying them out on my own dog :blush:)

and cafe- people are scared of my dog all of the time! He's only 65 pounds, but I think that it's the markings that terrify people :)

alcea rosea

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I have dogs because they are adorable, they bring me the sense of safety and they are good in moving people (excercise). The main thing because I have dogs is that I love most animals just because I always have. I don't know why.

elfinchilde

a white iris
MBTI Type
type
I've always found the idea of humans "owning" another creature to be a bit silly- I'm pretty sure that my dog thinks that I'm his pet human after all! :rofl1: After watching an interesting documentary the other day on the domestication of dogs though I started to wonder what benefits domestication of dogs has for both the dogs and the humans! Why do we have pets? What do pets do for us?

In elfin-speak: I only have humans as pets, currently. :blush: My mum dislikes animals. :cry:

To answer your questions, in wildcat-speak :alttongue: :

The possession is in the mind.
The possessor and the possessed are one and the same.
Who needs?
The one who's owned.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
After watching an interesting documentary the other day on the domestication of dogs though I started to wonder what benefits domestication of dogs has for both the dogs and the humans! Why do we have pets? What do pets do for us?
I'm sorry. . . but I find it hard to believe that the documentary didn't answer these fundamental questions that you are asking.

I suggest that you re-wind. . . and re-watch.

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
In elfin-speak: I only have humans as pets, currently. :blush: My mum dislikes animals. :cry:

To answer your questions, in wildcat-speak :alttongue: :

The possession is in the mind.
The possessor and the possessed are one and the same.
Who needs?
The one who's owned.

I'd say the one who owns, actually. Because he did it out of free choice.

The possessed did not choose the way the possessor does.

Pets are good because they are more immediate. It is nice to relate to something whose needs are simpler. Where words are not necessary but trust is.

Perhaps there can be no equals in relationships.

What the dog gains, is survival, is it not. He chooses a human pack to run with.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:) the documentary did try to answer the question, but I prefer to get other opinions as well and collect as many thoughts as possible on the issue before coming to any conclusions ;)

and that makes sense I suppose- I chose to own my dog (though I chose him because he sat up like a trained circus bear and licked my hand :wubbie:)- but we both benefit from the relationship- I get a creature that is completely loyal to me and he gets someone to take care of him! :)

The adaptation of instinctual dog pack behavior to the way that a dog behaves with its human owners is fascinating though- as is the way that humans misinterpret dog behavior! :laugh:

Seanan

Procrastinating
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm sure some have already been said but...

the relationship is pretty much symbiotic:

I provide food, shelter and a degree of other predatory protections as well as some "pack" needs like petting, grooming, play and leadership while they provide protection, entertainment, affection... in the form of unconditional acceptance.. and my "pack" or "mothering" :D needs like nurturing.

There is also some mystical or supernatural (not sure of the word to use) relationship with one. If you'll indulge me for a moment on that I'll try to explain:

I got a little Cavalier last year to have in the house as an "alarm" (have two gaurds outside but wanted protection in-house.) Anyway, I didn't want to train a pup so I got a 2-year-old retired breed dog. She had had 3 potential owners come to look at her and she would have nothing to do with them the breeder said (this is an unusually friendly breed.) When I arrived, she went "crazy" jumping on me first and then the door trying to get me to open it so we could go. The breeder said she had never seen her act that way and was confident she had just been awaiting my arrival. The breeder, incidentally, was not a "hoogabooga" type and was, in her words, "floored" by the experience. Also, and this, too, is spooky actually, I was totally unfamiliar with this breed but had "seen" her, mentally, for six months before I saw her picture on the internet. It was intense too.. for instance, I came home from shopping one day and the neighbor told me she saw a dog fitting what later turned out to be mine's description at my back door and I actually cried thinking I had missed her... that's how intense the drive to find/get her was. As soon as I saw her picture, I called and picked her up within the hour. From the very first day of meeting her, she absolutely will not be separated from me. Hubby says she sees me as "her job." So, anyway, as I said, I don't know what to call this but there's some indefinable aspect to our relationship.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Dogs rock!!!

People suck!!!

I've got a pit bull, and a miniature dachshund.

The odd couple, those two, they're awesome.

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
I like dogs (as well as other animals) because they never mean to hurt anyone psychologically in any way, they are always loyal, they never "stab one's back", they are not intelligent enough to have, for example, prejudices, their love is always real... and they are 1) cute and 2) so very much easier to get along with than people :D

My cocker spaniel snores next to my feet :wubbie:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I've got a miniature dachshund, too! :D

My best friend who watches my son once a week has one, too. My son is OBSESSED with the "weedle brown weenur dawgie."

I love being with my dog. I love being with my family, too, but there's something so simple about the companionship of a dog. They don't need conversation, but they don't mind if you talk at them. They love you purely and unconditionally. I remarked once to Noah that our dog Eli is the only person who is always, 100% of the time, happy to see me. Then he reminded me that I just called Eli a person. I think that means something. :)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Has anyone ever played peekaboo with their dogs? Sometimes they respond by attacking you.

(And my dachshund isn't brown, she's got Rottweiler-type markings.)

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I like dogs (as well as other animals) because they never mean to hurt anyone psychologically in any way, they are always loyal, they never "stab one's back", they are not intelligent enough to have, for example, prejudices, their love is always real... and they are 1) cute and 2) so very much easier to get along with than people :D

My cocker spaniel snores next to my feet :wubbie:
If you're willing to put up with the smells and messes, wonderful. I'd prefer not to.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've often wondered this myself, thought what a curious habit it is to take in and care for members of other species, and I've looked around to see if there are any other examples of it in the animal kingdom and there are some...

Actually, thinking about it, there are all kinds of simbiotic relationships in the animal kingdom, like those birds that sit on elephants' heads and peck off the crap that accumulates there or something... and those algae eating sea creatures that swim alongside whales and stuff, picking their skin clean. The different species live side by side and tolerate each other and allow this sorta mutual back scratching thing to go on, and I wonder how much of it is purely instinctive, or to what extent the animals know that the other animal is doing something of benefit to them and actually choose to tolerate them.

I suppose since humans are so pyschologically complex it could be said that the pets we keep are no different than the algae eaters that swim alongside the whales... they're providing a sorta 'service' that we need and have discovered they can serve, and in return we see to their more simple needs, or in the case of dogs also satisfy their psychological need for pack membership...

hmmm...

Leysing

MBTI Type
FiSi
If you're willing to put up with the smells and messes, wonderful. I'd prefer not to.
Hey, what's a dog that has no hair and smell and doesn't destroy something every once a while? :D
Well, smells and messes don't really bother me because of the numerous good sides.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
I have three dogs: a 5-y.o. German Shepherd, a 3-y.o. ShepherdXChow, and a mutt puppy who is something over 6 months.

I live alone in the woods, a half-mile from the nearest dirt road. The Shepherd and XChow give me companionship and a measure of protection. They keep the armadillos from digging under the house, and they help keep down the rodent population which in turn discourages snakes. The GSD is a wonder at finding snakes, as well. When she finds one, she will "tree" it (sort of round it up and keep it in one place by barking and darting in circles around it) until I can determine whether it's poisonous and, if it is, shoot it. They're also excellent at disposing of the flying squirrels who keep trying to make a home in my attic.

I have a tendency to live inside my own head, and the dogs do a good job of keeping me attached to the present physical world. I love watching them running through the woods or chasing each other in the afternoon sun. The GSD is sharp as a tack, and her games and antics always amuse me. They force me to enjoy life outside myself, when I might otherwise have a tendency to grow reclusive and excessively introspective. They cheer and refresh me after a long day of teaching, helping me focus on the positive and let go of the negative.

I found the mutt puppy under my house last October. She was almost dead, a little skeleton who hadn't the strength to stand. I was afraid at first she wouldn't pull through, but she did. She's a funny little thing whose skittish enthusiasm always makes me laugh. She's my little mystery dog who managed to survive long enough to find a home.

That's what I get from them. From me, they get good food, good water, a dry place in the rain, security, and intelligent play. They have a stable pack with a competent leader. Also, they are (usually) free of fleas and ticks as well as internal parasites. They will not die of preventable dog-diseases becuase their shots are up-to-date. They will most likely live longer, healthier, and more comfortable lives than their wild cousins. The mutt puppy would be dead already if I hadn't found her.