User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Pet Dogs

MBTI
    istp

i think dogs sometimes get me more than people... they also really like the smell of my shoes

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Dogs rock!!!

People suck!!!

I've got a pit bull, and a miniature dachshund.

The odd couple, those two, they're awesome.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I've got a pit bull, and a miniature dachshund.
    I've got a miniature dachshund, too!

MBTI
    FiSi

I like dogs (as well as other animals) because they never mean to hurt anyone psychologically in any way, they are always loyal, they never "stab one's back", they are not intelligent enough to have, for example, prejudices, their love is always real... and they are 1) cute and 2) so very much easier to get along with than people

My cocker spaniel snores next to my feet

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I've got a miniature dachshund, too!
    My best friend who watches my son once a week has one, too. My son is OBSESSED with the "weedle brown weenur dawgie."

I love being with my dog. I love being with my family, too, but there's something so simple about the companionship of a dog. They don't need conversation, but they don't mind if you talk at them. They love you purely and unconditionally. I remarked once to Noah that our dog Eli is the only person who is always, 100% of the time, happy to see me. Then he reminded me that I just called Eli a person. I think that means something.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Has anyone ever played peekaboo with their dogs? Sometimes they respond by attacking you.

(And my dachshund isn't brown, she's got Rottweiler-type markings.)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Leysing View Post
    I like dogs (as well as other animals) because they never mean to hurt anyone psychologically in any way, they are always loyal, they never "stab one's back", they are not intelligent enough to have, for example, prejudices, their love is always real... and they are 1) cute and 2) so very much easier to get along with than people

My cocker spaniel snores next to my feet
    If you're willing to put up with the smells and messes, wonderful. I'd prefer not to.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP

I've often wondered this myself, thought what a curious habit it is to take in and care for members of other species, and I've looked around to see if there are any other examples of it in the animal kingdom and there are some...

Actually, thinking about it, there are all kinds of simbiotic relationships in the animal kingdom, like those birds that sit on elephants' heads and peck off the crap that accumulates there or something... and those algae eating sea creatures that swim alongside whales and stuff, picking their skin clean. The different species live side by side and tolerate each other and allow this sorta mutual back scratching thing to go on, and I wonder how much of it is purely instinctive, or to what extent the animals know that the other animal is doing something of benefit to them and actually choose to tolerate them.

I suppose since humans are so pyschologically complex it could be said that the pets we keep are no different than the algae eaters that swim alongside the whales... they're providing a sorta 'service' that we need and have discovered they can serve, and in return we see to their more simple needs, or in the case of dogs also satisfy their psychological need for pack membership...

hmmm...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    FiSi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    If you're willing to put up with the smells and messes, wonderful. I'd prefer not to.
    Hey, what's a dog that has no hair and smell and doesn't destroy something every once a while?
    Well, smells and messes don't really bother me because of the numerous good sides.

MBTI
    INFJ

I have three dogs: a 5-y.o. German Shepherd, a 3-y.o. ShepherdXChow, and a mutt puppy who is something over 6 months.

I live alone in the woods, a half-mile from the nearest dirt road. The Shepherd and XChow give me companionship and a measure of protection. They keep the armadillos from digging under the house, and they help keep down the rodent population which in turn discourages snakes. The GSD is a wonder at finding snakes, as well. When she finds one, she will "tree" it (sort of round it up and keep it in one place by barking and darting in circles around it) until I can determine whether it's poisonous and, if it is, shoot it. They're also excellent at disposing of the flying squirrels who keep trying to make a home in my attic.

I have a tendency to live inside my own head, and the dogs do a good job of keeping me attached to the present physical world. I love watching them running through the woods or chasing each other in the afternoon sun. The GSD is sharp as a tack, and her games and antics always amuse me. They force me to enjoy life outside myself, when I might otherwise have a tendency to grow reclusive and excessively introspective. They cheer and refresh me after a long day of teaching, helping me focus on the positive and let go of the negative.

I found the mutt puppy under my house last October. She was almost dead, a little skeleton who hadn't the strength to stand. I was afraid at first she wouldn't pull through, but she did. She's a funny little thing whose skittish enthusiasm always makes me laugh. She's my little mystery dog who managed to survive long enough to find a home.

That's what I get from them. From me, they get good food, good water, a dry place in the rain, security, and intelligent play. They have a stable pack with a competent leader. Also, they are (usually) free of fleas and ticks as well as internal parasites. They will not die of preventable dog-diseases becuase their shots are up-to-date. They will most likely live longer, healthier, and more comfortable lives than their wild cousins. The mutt puppy would be dead already if I hadn't found her.