User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 66

  1. #1

    Default My Opinion on the Necessity for Shoes

    I wasn't sure which forum to put this thread in, but I figured since shoes exist for two reasons (to protect us from the elements, and to make women happy) to put it here in outdoors.

    Basically, I don't feel that we need shoes; unless you're a magma analyzer or perhaps an astronaut. You see, about two years ago I was listening to Dane Cook and he had a skit where at the end he blurted "FUCK SHOES". It was out of context for which I am writing this thread of course, but I began to ponder this theory and have decided that in fact, I don't like shoes.

    For one, they're expensive. There's no reason I should have to shell out $100 for a dull pair of shoes that's going to serve the same function as the $20 pair in the other aisle. This is the reason that I wear converse. It's like $30, looks badass and serves its function. Also, if I was ever spontaneously entered into a basketball tournament then I will be at an advantage.

    Also, there should be no reason to own more than two pairs of shoes. Even for women. You should have one pair of shoes for work, and one pair of shoes for when you're not at work (this is, of course, if you don't believe in the 'fuck shoes' philosophy). All other reasons for having shoes are excuses. And for women, it doesn't matter if you're wearing a black dress and a pair of converse because as men we're not attracted to your feet .. well, okay some of the perverts might be. And if you say "It doesn't match," then fuck it. You're only saying that because you want to do what is socially acceptable by the norm. Well, fuck the norm too! (That's another thread).

    When God created man and woman, He never said "And let there be shoes!". He knew full and well that if our feet couldn't take what our Earth's surface could dish out then either we didn't need to be on that particular terrain (E.G. an underwater cavern) or that the terrain was manmade, like concrete. Depending on several conditions, concrete can either be too hot for our bare feet, too cold, or too broken up to stand on. Well get over it! It's just a little pain.

    Shoes are too constraining. Sure it might help you to get better friction on various surfaces when running from or toward an entity but that doesn't mean that they're all necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

  2. #2
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    I don't wear shoes unless I leave my home. I have three pair shoes. One for everyday, one for extensive walking and a dress pair. All black.

    Shoes can be expensive, I have some foot issues and end up needing shoes that cost at least $100.00 and hate spending money on them. I have had the same dress shoes for ten years now.

    I don't really pick any item of clothing based on it looking "badassed" though, lol. I tend to want the most nondescript or at least classic looking shoes I can find. I don't want anyone to notice my shoes.

    One good reason to wear shoes? Public restrooms, unidentified puddles in streets, broken glass, hornets on the ground, etc. Take your pick.

    EDIT: You wanted input? I am very Ne today, not giving out simple, straighforward answers to save my life.

  3. #3
    The Destroyer Colors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    And I suppose that carpal tunnel is evidence that God didn't say : "Let there be typing and ranting about my personal issues on the internet!"?

    I do find shoes confining at times when I am indoors. I don't feel a need for lots of expensive shoes (and don't own a pair that cost more than $30, most in the $20 range), but I don't feel particularly angry/frustrated than those that spend more. My brother plays lots of sports and he has lots of shoes for those specialized functions (although I don't really understand what all the shoes are for, neither can I dismiss his shoe need claims without proper investigation- walking a mile in his shoes, so to speak).

    Life without shoes would be difficult in an industrialized society. I walk every day and I wouldn't wish to go around gravel and glass and such sans shoes. You claim that cement is to blame, but what about the cold? Socks are alright, but not very strong or stain-resistant.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lookin4theBestNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Posts
    801

    Default

    I've got "shoe issues" so I can't relate to this thread. I think I'm going on approximately 100-125 pairs. I still can't find any shoes to wear oddly enough! I do get them all on sale (probably the reason I've got so many) does that give me any excuse? (Yes, of course it does!)
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

  5. #5
    Per Ardua Metamorphosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    I've got "shoe issues" so I can't relate to this thread. I think I'm going on approximately 100-125 pairs.
    :eek:

    I own three pairs of shoes, and two of them are the same.

    I wonder, though, about how we would walk if we didn't have shoes. It seems like we would be much more likely to talk on the balls of our feet instead of heel first, which would probably take a lot of strain off of our knees and hips, making the ankle more of a shock absorber.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

    Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

  6. #6
    ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INfj
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    Are shoes necessity... that's like asking is clothing a necessity.

    They were first made for protecting your feet... afterwards people started using them for all sorts of other reasons.

    It's a world of free choices... you don't need to have shoes to make a fashion statement if you don't want to.

  7. #7

    Default

    Humans are very adaptable. If we didn't start wearing shoes, then we would have just adapted in other ways. Like, I don't know, not leaving glass scattered randomly about gravel as you seem to be so afraid of.
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

  8. #8
    The Destroyer Colors's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Yes, but we are also very ingenious. And we invented shoes because they were more convenient for all terrain.

  9. #9
    heart on fire
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,457

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disTant_eCHo View Post
    Humans are very adaptable. If we didn't start wearing shoes, then we would have just adapted in other ways. Like, I don't know, not leaving glass scattered randomly about gravel as you seem to be so afraid of.
    So you have never stepped on a hornet in the grass in the hot, dry Texas summer? I have. It put me more in favor of wearing shoes.

  10. #10

    Default

    I've yet to step on one, no but I'll say this: I've been stung by bees, wasps, yellow jackets and hornets. The one that hurt the most was the hornet because that sting friggin' burned!
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

Similar Threads

  1. I've been on the forum for 10 years! (humor my self-indulgence).
    By Magic Poriferan in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-05-2017, 06:01 PM
  2. Is it wrong for other people to express opinions on the internet...
    By phobik in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 07-17-2011, 10:17 PM
  3. My turn on the popularity thread game hehehe
    By ThatGirl in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 85
    Last Post: 01-19-2009, 05:48 PM
  4. My thoughts on the I phone
    By Opivy1980 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 06:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO