User Tag List

First 12345 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by disTant_eCHo View Post
    Well here's the thing.. this is where the argument comes back to conforming with the asshole norm. I don't see why we should do what is socially acceptable just because it is socially acceptable. Why do we fear comming acts that are socially unacceptable? It's crap.

Also to the lady that mentioned getting bacteria or whatever by going barefoot.. who cares? Anything and everything will kill you these days, according to every new study published on any number of topics. Just live your life and say 'fuck it' to what society tells you to do.
    I don't wear shoes because society tells me to, I wear them outdoors because I value my feet and unfortunately for all of us we come from a long line of shoe wearing people. Our feet have become soft over the eons. Dig it?

I think it is just as addlebrained to specially not do something just because society says to do it as the reverse.

Well here's the thing.. this is where the argument comes back to conforming with the asshole norm. I don't see why we should do what is socially acceptable just because it is socially acceptable. Why do we fear comming acts that are socially unacceptable? It's crap.

Also to the lady that mentioned getting bacteria or whatever by going barefoot.. who cares? Anything and everything will kill you these days, according to every new study published on any number of topics. Just live your life and say 'fuck it' to what society tells you to do.
    Some people actually want to live long healthy lives and get along with others.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I don't wear shoes because society tells me to, I wear them outdoors because I value my feet and unfortunately for all of us we come from a long line of shoe wearing people. Our feet have become soft over the eons. Dig it?

I think it is just as addlebrained to specially not do something just because society says to do it as the reverse.
    I think it's kickass to betray the asshole norm because they are assholes.

I, like you Heart, come from a long line of shoe wearers and as a result it would seem that my feet are quite soft. However that being said, do you feel that perhaps you have to value your feet because if you don't then society will outcast you for your ugly feet?
    Quote Originally Posted by ByMySword View Post
    ... if you don't know who Neil Peart is, then you're probably going to hell.

heart on fire

I just like being able to ambulate under my own power. When I think rebel, I don't really picture some dude proudly limping accross the cinder path.

heart on fire

I think it's kickass to betray the asshole norm because they are assholes.
    Okay, but if you spend a lifetime merely reacting in opposition to what others wish you to do (even to your own detriment) and never really thinking out what your true rational thoughts on the matter are, aren't you in actuality being controlled by them as much as if you had done exactly as they wished?

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Okay, but if you spend a lifetime merely reacting in opposition to what others wish you to do (even to your own detriment) and never really thinking out what your true rational thoughts on the matter are, aren't you in actuality being controlled by them as much as if you had done exactly as they wished?
    No, because I pick my battles. I feel that having to conform to wearing shoes is one of these battles.

If we lived under the Galactic Empire, I would most definately be a part of the Rebel Alliance. Probably a Bothan spy.. or a Corellian smuggler. It's a little off topic but I really don't like Wookiees.

heart on fire

To me self direction is the goal, not just blind opposition. I like keeping my feet warm and dry and the skin integrity intact. It has nothing to do with what society expects from me.

Right, but think about it this way. Say you were born in some kind of savage society.. or lack of society. And you were like a wild girl, lived in the mountains or something and lived off the land with no concept of a society. Would you really care about how your skin appeared, given that you had no idea of what the (asshole) norm thought about their own skin?

These are thoughts that are implanted into your brain from simple observation from living within a society.

heart on fire

Right, but think about it this way. Say you were born in some kind of savage society.. or lack of society. And you were like a wild girl, lived in the mountains or something and lived off the land with no concept of a society. Would you really care about how your skin appeared, given that you had no idea of what the (asshole) norm thought about their own skin?

These are thoughts that are implanted into your brain from simple observation from living within a society.
    Somehow my image of being "self-directed" encompasses a bit more than merely being some wild savage creature motivated by sheer survivial needs.

I don't like pain. That's it. I don't care what others think about me wearing shoes out of doors, including you.

End of discussion.

All right.

But I still say fuck shoes.