• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sudden massive bird deaths

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/03/arkansas.falling.birds/index.html?hpt=C1

Up to 5,000 birds fell from the sky New Year's Eve in Beebe, Arkansas

500 birds found dead in southern Louisiana in seemingly separate incident

I've never heard of something like this happening before. I can see how fireworks, a storm, or aircraft might kill a few hundred birds at one time, but 5,000? :shock:

And, why were thousands of birds of the same two types all in the exact same area at once?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Now it happened with fish, too. Creepy!!
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...kills-in-arkansas-leave-many-scratching-heads

And from the above article, about the birds:
UPDATE: A state veterinarian tells NBC that preliminary necropsy results from several birds show that they died of "multiple blunt trauma to their vital organs," though what caused the trauma remains uncertain. According to Dr. George Badley, their stomachs were empty, so they weren't poisoned, and they died in midair, not upon impact with the ground.

Reminds me of the TV show "The Event" (which, sadly, was canceled after its first season).

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
God's wrath is coming.

"No more water, next time fire."

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Nearby the town of Beebe, Arkansas is the Little Rock Air Force Base, which is the home of the 29th Weapons Squadron. :whistling:

A few possibilities:

1. Enormous flock of birds flies toward base and shows up on radar as a possible unidentified, potential stealth, aircraft. Base or interceptor aircraft fires classified concussion weapon rather than surface to air missiles to avoid collateral civilian damage and attracting attention due to mid-air explosion.

2. Since this happened shortly before midnight on New Year's Eve, maybe some base personnel were bored with the usual fireworks, and decided to ring in the new year with a boom from the new toy, a classified, focused concussion weapon. The birds were just unexpected collateral damage.

rav3n

Massed birds in those numbers, usually have something to do with migration paths or destinations.

The fireworks theory makes a lot of sense since the birds they examined had definitive physical trauma. Everything substantial that humans do have impact on their environment. This is similar to the impact of military sonar on whales and mammalian dolphins.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I just read in the news it could be hail or a thunderstorm aswell that hit a cluster of birds in mid-air.

Such things are always creepy, thanks to Hitchcock, who ruined it with birds for me for a lifetime -.-

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
My theories:

1. Aliens were probably hovering over the southern United States with their giant aircraft which for whatever reason attracts birds, and with their cloaking device the birds flew right into it, and suffered blunt trauma from doing so. Same with the alien submarines and the fish.

2. Yet another sign from God that the end is near, and the media is making a cover story, because the big boys in government know it's coming, but know how much limited resources there might be in the post-apocalypse, so would rather have the majority of the population live in dis-belief. If this is true, then I might be hunted down and shot and killed so that the word doesn't spread, but it proves that they certainly are hiding something. :laugh:

3. The fumes from the fireworks may have build up in a certain area, even possibly from theme parks and stuff, or a strange wind current, and they breathed, and died.

4. Unearthly radioactive elements from the aliens' ship caused such internal trauma in a certain species of bird in a large radius.

DISCLAIMER: None of these theories should be taken seriously. :laugh:

PS: Why was this story posed 5 days after the event? Seems fishy.

Eckhart

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
???
Hm, I expected that to happen not before 2012, but maybe it will drag on :D

Well, I am not convinced by the fireworks theories and the others. I mean, wouldn't such things to some degree then not happen more often? I cannot recall having heard such a story in the last years to New Years Eve. And the links here indicate it is happening now in other areas too? That is really scary.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I rember that movie where the ferrite core of the Earth stopped turning and Earth's electromagnetic field collapsed. It all started with birds falling from the skies

I tell you, the end is near !!!

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Any parrots among the dead? :thelook:

But seriously, avian disease is the first thing that I thought of, too. Thanks for posting this story, JAVO. Hopefully if there are any updates or new angles someone will share.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
One article I was reading seemed to want to blame it on the extreme cold temperatures.... :rolli: