User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 19 of 19

  1. #11
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Deer are a nuisance and a hazard in many areas due to overpopulation, because there aren't enough predators to be relevant (humans included). There are frequent collisions with deer on the highways, leading to people dying. Deer overpopulation can cause starvation and disease both for deer and other animals. Not sure if there's "too many" deer where you are too, but I would guess so. They tend to become overpopulated wherever they are.

    I do think it's best to use the meat, but deer are a case where there's an additional reason to cull the population. I don't really have a desire to hunt, myself (let alone the ability) but venison is delicious.

    Anyway, cool critters.
    -end of thread-

  2. #12
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Anyway, cool critters.
    Thanks. I thought so too.

  3. #13
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You can try it without me, then. I was not hunting for any of these animals at the time I photographed them, nor am I likely ever to do so. The woodpecker is a federally protected species (as are all native passerine birds in the US) and illegal to kill, and I wouldn't know why you'd want to do so in any event.

    You're weird, meta.
    I wasn't being serious. Never tried any of those animals and never will.

  4. #14
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Okay, three things:

    1. Your morality of hunting makes no sense to me. Would you say that it's not okay to murder a person unless some major utilitarian goal is achieved through that murder, in which case it's okay? Truth is, if the action is morally wrong it's morally wrong, regardless of the outcome. The end doesn't justify the means, ever. If I hunt and kill and do not see that the meat from the animal is eaten, then I am being wasteful... guilty of bad use of resources... foolish. Not immoral.
    2. Yes, I cut up the venison into freezer-appropriate portions and we will be eating it through the winter; however, though we will gain from this addition of perhaps 60 pounds of meat into our household economy, we would have also survived just fine without it. So essentially, though we're eating it, I hunted the deer and killed it because I wanted to. It was fun!
    3. I'm not likely to be influenced by your judgment of my behavior in any case.
    (1)To eat it or not it is still immoral. But if something was killed due to desperation to survive (hunger) I guess it could be understood. But to kill something due to the sheer fun of it? Urghhhhhh!
    (2) Well you sound like a fun guy.
    (3) Well I didn't expect it to. But nothing like trying.

  5. #15
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    14,031

    Default

    Learning to hunt, was one of the key evolutionary traits that have allowed us (as humans) to rise to the status we have.

    If you've eaten meat you might as well have killed it. Because someone did it on your behalf. And not too far back in our past, that person would have been you.

  6. #16
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Learning to hunt, was one of the key evolutionary traits that have allowed us (as humans) to rise to the status we have.

    If you've eaten meat you might as well have killed it. Because someone did it on your behalf. And not too far back in our past, that person would have been you.
    Hunting to fulfill your needs Vs for fun. there is a difference.


    Erghhhh! what am I doing anyway? I sound all preachy and ichy! Backs away.

  7. #17
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    One deer killed in the woods is one cow not killed in for the store, more or less. This is where irrational nature nuts will pretend not to hold the life of one kind of animal above another, simply because that's what we're used to (cows can die all day long for meat, but not bambi). It lacks logic or rationale.

  8. #18
    Senior Member guesswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    ^ Well I was being serious. To kill anyone (even a fly) for the 'fun of it' is just wrong & immoral.


    I think up until now, my fly kill count is at about 1000 or more.

  9. #19
    Riva
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    One deer killed in the woods is one cow not killed in for the store, more or less. This is where irrational nature nuts will pretend not to hold the life of one kind of animal above another, simply because that's what we're used to (cows can die all day long for meat, but not bambi). It lacks logic or rationale.
    Well, I happen to be a .... nevermind.

Similar Threads

  1. Help figuring out your type?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 354
    Last Post: 09-25-2012, 12:12 PM
  2. Maybe I'll just hang out here for a while.
    By Tyrinth in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-15-2012, 04:47 PM
  3. I've been out of school for a while...
    By swordpath in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
  4. it took a while...
    By bluebell in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 10:22 AM
  5. Hello all you out there
    By mkobrien76 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-26-2007, 11:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO