User Tag List

12 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Default Backpacking Through California

Hey guys. This Spring/Summer I plan to do a rather ambitious backpacking trip through California. My main goals are to spend time in Big Sur, Yosemite, and Lost Coast. I'm also thinking of hitting up Mt. Whitney along the way and maybe some other locales, wilderness or not. I'm not exactly sure what mode of transportation I'll be using to make my way up the state and back, but i surely don't plan to walk/hike the whole way . It'll probably be more of a bus/car ride to each area, and then moving through on foot. My main focus is to see some of the best wilderness CA has to offer, but I don't mind enjoying some civilization along the way too.

This'll be my first time traveling with a pack, and pretty much all the places I'll be going to will be new to me. I guess I'm just looking for some advice and suggestions from those of you who might have experience backpacking, have been to some of these places, or might have some advice/suggestions on where to go, the best way to travel, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated .

One place that I am thinking of going exploring one day is The Redwood National Park. (I like the Humboldt and Del Norte regions.) I think you are pretty much heading there since your heading to the Lost Coast anyhow. There are lots of forested areas from Mendocino to Del Norte to explore.

It's sort of hard, you've already named quite a lot. The only other places I can think of are semi-hot to hot places during the spring and summer times. I don't know for sure though.
    Example?
    Lave Beds National Monument
    Lassen Volcanic Park

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Man, checking out that volcano sounds like an awesome idea! I'll have to do some research on the park. It might even be a poor man's yellowstone :P .

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Take some pics on the way.

If you stop through Humboldt county maybe you can find some goodies.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There's a zillion hostels in CA. That should be helpful if it starts to rain.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    There's a zillion hostels in CA. That should be helpful if it starts to rain.
    Pfsh, rain just makes it more fun :P. I'm thinking of using hostels if ever I want to stay in a more populated area/city, or if I just need a good warm shower.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Pfsh, rain just makes it more fun :P. I'm thinking of using hostels if ever I want to stay in a more populated area/city, or if I just need a good warm shower.
    When I was in Santa Monica I met a guy who was bicycling his way from San Francisco to San Diego, and sleeping outside. He was like 'you have no idea how much this place is like heaven to me, sleeping on the beach gets old.'

Also, ask Gish about the condition he was in when he showed up in Hollywood.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6-5

There is the John Muir Trail that goes through the sierras (I think thats what it is called)..kinda like the appalachian trail. I think it goes thru east yosemite. I highly recommend camping in Toulloume (sp?) meadows section of yosemite. Its spectacular. If you google around you can find some hotsprings too.
    Type 6w5 sp/so/sx I think..I have not fully explored this and just discovered it.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Take some pics on the way.

If you stop through Humboldt county maybe you can find some goodies.
    LOL, yeah...

But seriously, Mendocino/Humboldt/Del Norte have some cool wilderness to explore.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Do this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir_Trail

Also if you incorporate hitchhiking into you jaunt limit it to Northern California and get out of the van when the guy tells you the apparently "commonly known" story about the girl in the box.

Wait until at least late spring to start if you go in the high Sierra (i.e. snow issues)
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"