• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Backpacking Through California

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Hey guys. This Spring/Summer I plan to do a rather ambitious backpacking trip through California. My main goals are to spend time in Big Sur, Yosemite, and Lost Coast. I'm also thinking of hitting up Mt. Whitney along the way and maybe some other locales, wilderness or not. I'm not exactly sure what mode of transportation I'll be using to make my way up the state and back, but i surely don't plan to walk/hike the whole way ;). It'll probably be more of a bus/car ride to each area, and then moving through on foot. My main focus is to see some of the best wilderness CA has to offer, but I don't mind enjoying some civilization along the way too.

This'll be my first time traveling with a pack, and pretty much all the places I'll be going to will be new to me. I guess I'm just looking for some advice and suggestions from those of you who might have experience backpacking, have been to some of these places, or might have some advice/suggestions on where to go, the best way to travel, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated :) .

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One place that I am thinking of going exploring one day is The Redwood National Park. (I like the Humboldt and Del Norte regions.) I think you are pretty much heading there since your heading to the Lost Coast anyhow. There are lots of forested areas from Mendocino to Del Norte to explore.

It's sort of hard, you've already named quite a lot. The only other places I can think of are semi-hot to hot places during the spring and summer times. I don't know for sure though.
Example?
Lave Beds National Monument
Lassen Volcanic Park

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Man, checking out that volcano sounds like an awesome idea! I'll have to do some research on the park. It might even be a poor man's yellowstone :p .

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Take some pics on the way.

If you stop through Humboldt county maybe you can find some goodies. ;)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
There's a zillion hostels in CA. That should be helpful if it starts to rain.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
There's a zillion hostels in CA. That should be helpful if it starts to rain.

Pfsh, rain just makes it more fun :p. I'm thinking of using hostels if ever I want to stay in a more populated area/city, or if I just need a good warm shower.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Pfsh, rain just makes it more fun :p. I'm thinking of using hostels if ever I want to stay in a more populated area/city, or if I just need a good warm shower.

When I was in Santa Monica I met a guy who was bicycling his way from San Francisco to San Diego, and sleeping outside. He was like 'you have no idea how much this place is like heaven to me, sleeping on the beach gets old.'

Also, ask Gish about the condition he was in when he showed up in Hollywood.

ScorpioINTP

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
6-5
There is the John Muir Trail that goes through the sierras (I think thats what it is called)..kinda like the appalachian trail. I think it goes thru east yosemite. I highly recommend camping in Toulloume (sp?) meadows section of yosemite. Its spectacular. If you google around you can find some hotsprings too.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Take some pics on the way.

If you stop through Humboldt county maybe you can find some goodies. ;)

LOL, yeah...

But seriously, Mendocino/Humboldt/Del Norte have some cool wilderness to explore.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Do this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Muir_Trail

Also if you incorporate hitchhiking into you jaunt limit it to Northern California and get out of the van when the guy tells you the apparently "commonly known" story about the girl in the box.

Wait until at least late spring to start if you go in the high Sierra (i.e. snow issues)

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glm97au0b_Q"][/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glm97au0b_Q
Hooked on humboldt:) be careful when choosing to travel the northwest coast... even experimenting with humboldt can be extremely dangerous... hugs not drugs! lol...

Last edited:

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yea, I'm not into drugs, lol. I think I'll be using my car (or my friend's) to get from area to area. I've heard of the john muir trail. I'll probably do a section of that in Yosemite. I've got just about all the gear I need for an extended backpacking trip like this. I just need to save for gas and food expenses. It could cost me AT LEAST $500 for gas with my 12mpg car.

Curator

Another awesome member.
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
LOL, you should watch the video, its not really about drugs, its funny, but also shows some really beautiful areas up there... its meant to encourage tourism I believe.