User Tag List

MBTI
    yupp

Default Baked sweet potato fries

I'm on a mission to figure out how to make sweet potato fries perfectly crispy in the oven. last night was my first attempt, I decided to toss the raw fries in olive oil and season salt, but in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes, than put under the broiler for 5 minutes. They came out tasting amazing, but they weren't crisp enough and the broiler caused so dark bitter spots. So any suggestions on getting them crispy in the oven. I know I could just fry them, but some times its easier and safer to put them in the oven, ie when I'm drunk or stoned.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I've never had really crisp sweet potato fries...but it's possible. I think the trick would be to squeeze some of the water out of them so they soak up more oil. I suppose you could cut them, then place them on a paper towel, then place a cutting board on top and compress them hard. Yep, that should work.
    I've done a similar thing by usung a potato ricer. you can make very crispy hashbrowns that way...

That's a really short amount of time for sweet potato fries. How thinly are you cutting them?

MBTI
    yupp

1/4 in about
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Have you tried to cut them in slabs? It might help the crispness factor since they're in the oven longer.

But with my oven, I can't get them very crispy. Temperature isn't even or consistent enough. My friend's oven is perfect for them.

MBTI
    yupp

I could try that. I might try that and the soaking up excess water Attachment 5359 their's a pic of them taken of the left over ones this morning we did two big sweet potatoes. along with that had burgers (with pepper jack and bacon mixed into the beef, they turned out amazing) and salad
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Some tips:
    • Wash them before peeling and then dry with paper towels.
    • Cut them around 3/4" thick.
    • Try to leave some room between fries or they'll get soggy.
    • 20 min on one side, turn them and then for another 15 min, sometimes a bit more.
    • Try to leave your oven door closed unless you're ready to turn them or take them out.

MBTI
    INTP

There's something about the sweet potato that makes it not want to come out crispy as an oven fry. You'd have better luck deep frying, but I suspect the health factor is important.

After doing some research, it appears the reason why restaurants can get them crispy is that they're either deep frying or using a convection oven. I did find where people had success coating them in egg white before baking, though. Here's an example:

I found a recipe on MarthaStewart.com for Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries and they are the only sweet taters I've ever gotten to come out crispy ... and they were so delish! Preheat oven to 400. Spray tinfoil lined pan with cooking spray. Cut potato into wedges, leaving skins on. Dip each wedge into flour, egg white and shredded parm. Set the wedges upright if you can and bake away for 15 minutes. Sooooo good.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    yupp

health isn't a factor. yeah I'm thinking I'm going to have to just fry them, the whole purpose of this is sweet potatoes are so inexpensive and sometimes when i'm intoxicated I crave sweet potato fries but I don't want to deal with hot oil while intoxicated, so I figured if I could get them to crisp up in the oven, next time I'm intoxicated and want sweet potato fries I can make them with out burning down the apartment. I'm fine deep frying when sober.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

Banned
    MBTI
    EXTJ
    Enneagram

SP Fries = win