• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Baked sweet potato fries

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm on a mission to figure out how to make sweet potato fries perfectly crispy in the oven. last night was my first attempt, I decided to toss the raw fries in olive oil and season salt, but in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes, than put under the broiler for 5 minutes. They came out tasting amazing, but they weren't crisp enough and the broiler caused so dark bitter spots. So any suggestions on getting them crispy in the oven. I know I could just fry them, but some times its easier and safer to put them in the oven, ie when I'm drunk or stoned.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I've never had really crisp sweet potato fries...but it's possible. I think the trick would be to squeeze some of the water out of them so they soak up more oil. I suppose you could cut them, then place them on a paper towel, then place a cutting board on top and compress them hard. Yep, that should work.
I've done a similar thing by usung a potato ricer. you can make very crispy hashbrowns that way...

rav3n

That's a really short amount of time for sweet potato fries. How thinly are you cutting them?

rav3n

Have you tried to cut them in slabs? It might help the crispness factor since they're in the oven longer.

But with my oven, I can't get them very crispy. Temperature isn't even or consistent enough. My friend's oven is perfect for them.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I could try that. I might try that and the soaking up excess water View attachment 5359 their's a pic of them taken of the left over ones this morning we did two big sweet potatoes. along with that had burgers (with pepper jack and bacon mixed into the beef, they turned out amazing) and salad

rav3n

Some tips:
  • Wash them before peeling and then dry with paper towels.
  • Cut them around 3/4" thick.
  • Try to leave some room between fries or they'll get soggy.
  • 20 min on one side, turn them and then for another 15 min, sometimes a bit more.
  • Try to leave your oven door closed unless you're ready to turn them or take them out.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
There's something about the sweet potato that makes it not want to come out crispy as an oven fry. You'd have better luck deep frying, but I suspect the health factor is important.

After doing some research, it appears the reason why restaurants can get them crispy is that they're either deep frying or using a convection oven. I did find where people had success coating them in egg white before baking, though. Here's an example:

I found a recipe on MarthaStewart.com for Parmesan Sweet Potato Fries and they are the only sweet taters I've ever gotten to come out crispy ... and they were so delish! Preheat oven to 400. Spray tinfoil lined pan with cooking spray. Cut potato into wedges, leaving skins on. Dip each wedge into flour, egg white and shredded parm. Set the wedges upright if you can and bake away for 15 minutes. Sooooo good.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
health isn't a factor. yeah I'm thinking I'm going to have to just fry them, the whole purpose of this is sweet potatoes are so inexpensive and sometimes when i'm intoxicated I crave sweet potato fries but I don't want to deal with hot oil while intoxicated, so I figured if I could get them to crisp up in the oven, next time I'm intoxicated and want sweet potato fries I can make them with out burning down the apartment. I'm fine deep frying when sober.