User Tag List

Thread: Capers!

Oberon

Default Capers!

Due to our family's assiduously following a new meal plan for dinners, including weekly menus and pre-planned shopping lists, we had a small jar of capers in the house for the first time ever last week.

Sampled by themselves they're unpleasantly salty and bitter, with an unpleasant plastic-like flavor. However, when incorporated into a savory sauce they add complexity and an interesting accent to the overall flavor.

Hooray for the humble caper! Up until last week I didn't even know what one was.

MBTI
    yupp

I made a chicken dish once that used capers, it was delicious don't think I've used capers since.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think capers are absolutely delicious and I use a ton of them when I make lox with cream cheese and red onion on bagels.

Two positive nods to capers.

1. Bagel, lox, cream cheese and capers.
    2. In tartar sauce.

Beyond that, not a caper fan. They're very pungent (almost having a mustard residue to them in the nasal cavity) and acidic, so I guess that's why they're good with fish and some form of heavy mayo or cheese.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I can eat them straight out of the jar. Yes, I'm weird. I also like anchovies. But I looked it up and besides being salty, capers are actually somewhat nutritious.

I put them with my tuna fish once, mixed both with olive oil instead of mayo, and then stuck them on toasted whole grain bread with melted cheese and tomato.

You're like a good friend of mine. He loves capers and takes them by the spoonful.

If you like anchovies, you also probably like canned sardines. Anchovies don't bother me in other foods but they're great in home made Caesar salad dressing. It's not a Caesar salad without them!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do like canned sardines!

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

I luuuuurve me some copers straight out of the jar, also sardines AND anchovies.

Totally concur with Bagel with capers, cream cheese & smoked salmon (lox)... OH GOD, SO GOOD.

Oh! Capers are also good in a cream/white wine based sauce for pasta, reduced to a really thick consistency with some spanish onion, reggiano, garlic and smoked salmon.

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs