• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Backpacking.

Makaub

MBTI Type
ENTJ
So, over the past while thoughts like going on a loooong backpacking trip come to mind as I am sure others have thought of it at times. And I wonder, mayhaps we should combine our powers to figure out what each areas cost of food and board (motels of hostels if you live in an area that HAS hostels) is on a tight budget. Of course that means instead of going to a restaurant I or someone else would go to the local market and get some cheap eats for the day.

I'll start, not that anyone would want to backpack through America as far as I know.
In Colorado a careful person could get by with maybe 4-5 dollars in food a day, even less depending on how much you eat. Bread is of course cheap everywhere, being 1.50 for a nice size amount, could even last several days in fact with supplemental meat and other things bought to add mass. A super cheap feeling person can snag a pack of beef cold cuts from king soopers for 50 cents, and it'll be enough to fill you at least half a day with some bread.

Almost forgot, motels are like maybe any other metro area of the US, $10-35 a night. Would be better to make friends on the way for free stay.

Last edited:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
When I go backpacking, motels, stores, and money are the last thing I want to think about! :) But, I guess some of these are unfortunately necessary details on an extended trip.

The idea of backpacking anywhere except a wilderness area or park doesn't appeal to me at all.

Here are a few suggestions which may not apply to your trip or style:

• Sleep in a park/wilderness area only and avoid motels. Sometimes you can camp without paying or registering, especially if you are in a little-travelled area.
  • Think about a camping hammock instead of sleeping on the ground--more comfortable and more options on where to camp.
  • Bread and beef doesn't sound like food I'd be carrying along.
  • Fish and gather wild edibles where time and regulations permit.
  • Make your own wood gas stove, with a homemade alcohol stove as a backup when wood is scarce or wood fires not allowed.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ahh...for a minute I thought the poster meant wilderness backpacking/camping, due to the forum he posted it in, but he means 'Backpacking' in the sense of travel style. Like, going backpacking in Europe, staying in hostels, travelling around for months on end with only a pack on your back....so backpacking in that sense is travelling on the cheap, and really budget travel.

But some Backpackers DO incorporate camping into it. :)

Makaub

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Ahh...for a minute I thought the poster meant wilderness backpacking/camping, due to the forum he posted it in, but he means 'Backpacking' in the sense of travel style. Like, going backpacking in Europe, staying in hostels, travelling around for months on end with only a pack on your back....so backpacking in that sense is travelling on the cheap, and really budget travel.

But some Backpackers DO incorporate camping into it. :)

While you speak massive truth, I do consider camping wroth inclusion. After all, without a tent how would you sleep while on foot in between German cities and night falls?

Though, most certainly, you are right I meant travel and not just recreation. But...I also don't really think life has time for recreation, just errands that are fun.

Abhaya

MBTI Type
INFP
After all, without a tent how would you sleep while on foot in between German cities and night falls?

Tarps are great :D. Oh I need to go backpacking soon. I do the camping kind though. I like to get as far away from civilization as time and skill permit.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well if it involves wilderness backpacking, start off with 2 points I'd like to bring up:

1. Pack light
2. Don't start off with a hike that is too difficult

Violating both those points this past Monday is what's responsible for my still-lingering muscle pains all over my body :p

Abhaya

MBTI Type
INFP
Well if it involves wilderness backpacking, start off with 2 points I'd like to bring up:

1. Pack light
2. Don't start off with a hike that is too difficult

Violating both those points this past Monday is what's responsible for my still-lingering muscle pains all over my body :p

I hear that. My first trip I carried like 60lbs! I am down to about 30 now. I still am a slow hiker (4-5 miles a day), but I stop and smell the flowers and hug the trees and other hippy shit :hug:, but having a lighter pack makes it so much more enjoyable.

That which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. Right? Unless it has to do with your back :)