User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    GONE

Question - does low carb diet actually work? I thought it didn't work. My friends have yo-yo dieted with it (South Beach diet) but I can't see the weight loss myself and they say it makes them cranky and get into fights with one another (they're dating).

If it worked and didn't screw up your metabolism royally, I would try it.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Good carb diets (as opposed to low carb diets) don't screw up your metabolism and they work to keep you at a healthy weight. If you're overweight or obese, yes the weight will just fall off. But if you're already a healthy weight don't expect it to make you super skinny.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

it totally works...it's not working for your friends because they're yo yo'ing.

it did make me cranky tho and a bit depressed.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Low carb diets do work. Cycling low carbs with carb days works too. But in your case Quin, I just think just getting rid of most of the junkier carbs off the diet would help you feel better. Maybe you could taper your carbs with more in the morning and less to nothing at night. A lot of your carbs would be better coming from fruit and vegetables. There is a rule that the outside edge of the supermarket is where all the good stuff is, shop there mostly. You can also think about what is the best carb choice, kumara is better than potato etc. There are plenty of books on that, I saw a few good ones at the local library when I was back in NZ.

It's a hassle to get yourself to follow a diet, better to learn the principles so you can adapt them to what is available.

What do you normally do for lunch?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Low carb diets do work. Cycling low carbs with carb days works too. But in your case Quin, I just think just getting rid of most of the junkier carbs off the diet would help you feel better.
    So does junk carbs include white rice, brown bread, potato and pasta?

Maybe you could taper your carbs with more in the morning and less to nothing at night. A lot of your carbs would be better coming from fruit and vegetables. There is a rule that the outside edge of the supermarket is where all the good stuff is, shop there mostly. You can also think about what is the best carb choice, kumara is better than potato etc.
    I love kumara, I remember eating Kumara chips did little to our blood sugar, yum.

What do you normally do for lunch?
    Lately I've just been having a brown bread sandwich with bacon and egg or chicken but that's more poorness than anything. I like to get Thai, one favourite is garlic beef with veges and white rice (probably ok?) and the other is pad thai, all chicken and pasta/noodles with peanut sauce (probably bad?), I like sushi, chinese noodles with dumplings, fried rice and egg, sometimes have brown toast, eggs and bacon.

See what I mean about the carbs.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    So does junk carbs include white rice, brown bread, potato and pasta?
    Real junk carbs are obvious things like L&P, jaffas and chocolate fish. Think of carbs as being on a continuum from good to more crappy. All the foods you listed are reasonably high GI but I reckon they are okay during the day. Vogels would be okay as a morning bread I think. If you choose a moderate carb diet you need to try and keep the fat reasonably low as well.

Practically speaking it's a pain in the ass to be on a low carb diet. A moderate carb diet with tapering off the carbs at night is better over the long haul. I would just try having what you want for lunch as long as it is not too heavy in fat. Eating fruit in the morning, vogels toast and some kind of protein, scrambled eggs or something like that. And then for dinner keeping it as low carb as you can. Salmon and salad or something like that. Keeping your protein intake up helps in a lot of ways. Fruit is really cheap in NZ, it can cost a dollar for a kiwifruit here. Eat more fruit.

You don't want to get yourself in a situation where your thinking is really boxed. This is good, this is not good. Just try and keep it balanced overall. If you are ever going to go on a really low carb diet, decide on a time frame. But yeah, above all, learn the ropes so you can adapt and don't need to stick to any rigid plan. That gets old fast.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

totally agree with wolfie...i've done it that way as well and much prefer it..the point is just to burn more carb energy than you consume...so...at breakfast and lunch...it's alright to have some good healthy carbs but don't mix it with a lot of fat...and then for dinner stick to lean protein and vegetables....just learn to choose healthier alternatives...like balsamic over ranch...or a sweet potato over a white potato...grilled veggies or soup instead of fries...something like black beans, brown rice and grilled chicken is a good healthy carb meal for lunch...if you're working out you could use the energy...and don't have dessert everyday...or learn to be satisfied with one piece of really good chocolate or some berries and cream but not too much...just learn to not over do it and go for the healthier choice.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison