User Tag List

123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Smile so... we're going to get a cat. Opinions needed please!

So we decided to get a cat... mostly because we both really WANT another pet since the dog was dognapped, but both of us work during the daytime and don't want to have a pet that will be desperatly crossing its legs by the time we get home. He's a cat person anyways, while I'm naturally a dog person, and we're hoping to find a cat with a more doggy personality so that both of us will be happy with the creature.

Furthermore, we're both allergic to cat hair (and dog hair as well!) and it'd be nice to find a dog like cat which doesn't make us tear up and sneeze uncontrollably

So why do 2 people who are allergic to pets and work during the day WANT a pet? The dog was like a kid to us, and that's always nice when you're a couple who doesn't want a human child... something you can care for, something that's always there for you, something to be a 3rd wheel in a way and something to keep you company when the other person is away.

What do I want to know?
    what sort of cat should I look for? what should we expect? what do we need to do to prepare to get one of these creatures? tips would be much appreciated!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

quick search for doggy like cats and this came up...he's kinda cute. i'm much more a dog person too so i don't really know a whole lot about cats but oh also my sister is allergic to cats and got one of those odd hairless ones...they're kinda uglish but their personalities were kinda cool...kinda doggy too i think.

http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/chartreux.html

actually...just checked those links and what she had was 2 different kinds of rex's they're not totally hairless..it's kind of short and curly and doesn't shed.

the ragdoll seems kind of cool...but probably too much hair for you.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Funny you should mention chartreux, because my two little fellows are chartreux mixes and that was my first thought when I read the question. Chartreux have a reputation for being calm, domestic, very affectionate, easy to handle an my two boys are pretty doglike in character..the only "disadvantage" for somebody allergic is their gorgeous silky fur! They leave hair everywhere all of the time. Seriously, chartreux fur is much softer and smoother than most other cat´s, because there usually is some persian in them, but if you are allergic, I´d be careful.

One thing you should think about beforehand is whether you want to keep the cat strictly inside or let it out to roam the neigborhood. There are advantages to both ways (safety issues and health issues - cat´s that stay indoors have a higher life expectancy, but can get bored when they are alone all day without a playmate). Some cats have a stronger urge for freedom than others. If you keep two, they can keep each other company while you´re away, which might be a good idea when you decide to keep them indoors. Prepare for some starting costs for vaccines, check-up etc. at the vet. Otherwise some feeding bowls, a litter box (which you will have to clean on a regular basis for many, many years to come, and can be quite smelly) and maybe a scratching post is all you need. They tend to find a cosy place to sleep and turn anything you leave lying around into toys. Do you want to adopt a kitten or a grown up cat from a shelter?

You´ve already lived with a dog, so I´ll spare you the usual sermon on pets and wish you all the best with your new buddy!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

i am a HUGE Siamese advocate. i'm actually not entirely sure what you mean by a doggy personality, but I'd imagine they're pretty close! they have some of the most wonderful personalities I've ever experienced. they're definitely not the kind of cats who merely tolerate your existence because you have the can opener...in their younger ages they tend to get a bit miffed if you leave them alone for too long, but if you go for an older cat (and I definitely recommend that, I find kittens/young cats of any breed to be royal pains in the ass) you'll find a nice balance: independent, but loyal and affectionate. They make great companions and they're actually really protective. and they are very VERY talkative...youtube "siamese cat talking" videos and you'll see what I mean. this site has a great rundown.

In terms of allergies, I actually have some friends who are allergic to most cats, but not mine...so this will definitely vary.

and of course, they're stunningly beautiful.

I also recommend adopting/rescuing. Because they're rather desirable cats, they're commonly rescued from disreputable breeders where they've been exploited and mistreated so they're not hard to find.

In general though, go around and spend some play-time with the cats before choosing; when you find the right one, you'll know
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

there's so many interesting types of cats out there!

my sis had a siamese that enjoyed playing fetch and walking on a leash before, though I hadn't heard of the other types mentioned

and it would be an indoor cat since the neighborhood has too many feral cats wandering about that might give it something... not to mention children who give other people's pets away... and it would have to be able to put up with my enthusiasm better than some creatures do... I tend to scare timid cats by treating them like they are dogs! (hence the need for a dog like cat...)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Havana Brown. Who can resist that lovely brown coat and those green eyes?

or if you can find one...

The Swimming Cat. A Turkish Van.

My own lovely Azrael is a pound kitty. He is 16 1/2 lb of pure mixed breed love.

I had a blue point Siamese a long time ago. I still miss Tao very much.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

...your dog was dognapped??

I think it's a much better idea to get a cat from a shelter than to choose a breed (even beyond the practical aspects of rescuing a fixed cat for a few hundred vs. a usually more sickly bred-for-profit purebred for 3-5x the cost). Cats' personalities don't really depend on breed in the same way dogs do. There are a few exceptions like siamese (verrrry loud and whiny) and those huge furry cats (forget the name) but mostly a cat is a cat. You can tell their personality from interacting at the shelter - my cat is kinda like a dog in that she's very needy and affectionate, and vocal. She's a tabby shorthair (i.e. mutt).

Depending how allergic you are, you may be fine with a short hair or you might need to get one of those gross skin cats. long hair is probably out of the question.
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

even pet finder here has a mind boggling variety of felines, and I've always just done my shopping online in the past because I feel sorry for all of the animals in the shelter and would rather request that they just pluck one out for me and have it ready when I get there so that I don't take them all home

I kind of want a Maine Coon just because they're giant and I tend to like big animals... I've always even owned big dogs instead of little doglettes (and at the "gross skin cat")

and yes, the dog was dognapped... SO uncool

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Getting a cat from a shelter sounds like a good idea. Main Coons are beautiful animals, but have two disadvantages: 1. the long hair! 2. If it´s a purebred (and I never understood people´s obsession with purebred pets anyway - I picked up my cats for free from a family living nearby, didn´t know what they looked like until I picked them up, turned out they were some form of chartreux mixes, father unknown) there is a chance it has a congenital desease that leads to contant infection of the mucuos membrane of the mouth that demands monthly treatment with antibiotics - happened with a Main Coon I know. Inbreeding can leed to a lot of nasty conditions!
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

That's really grim about your dog

Fuckers!!

This is the best advice I can give you about cats.. They are not the pet, you are..
    If you bear that in mind in dealing with your cat.. You should find it delightful .. Cats make the world a better place.