• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

so... we're going to get a cat. Opinions needed please!

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Get two cats, I say, so they can keep one another company when you're both gone. Less emotional responsibility, seriously, though you'll have to buy more food it's not significant enough that it will really cost you that much money.

Make sure you get both at an early age or they won't necessarily be the best of friends.

It's kind of strange - some cats love other cats (even if not reciprocated), but not humans, some love humans but hate other cats. Or dogs for that matter.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^yeah, I've never gotten two cats at an early age but my current cat and the other cat in the house hate each other, can't be alone together and are a pain to supervise (fur is literally flying, within seconds of them being in the same room). They were introduced as adults (well the other one was about 11 months old). My cat always hates other cats, but this one's especially bad. She is very friendly and non-aggressive with humans though. The other cat likes to attack humans too and is usually the instigator of fights. :dry:

I've usually had cats in singles and they didn't seem lonely. They aren't at all like dogs in that way, as long as they have something to entertain themselves with (easy to find for most cats), especially if you're home most nights and weekends.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
I had 2 cats for awhile. One of them was a couple years old when we introduced the 2nd one. The 1st one was always the affectionate/lovey one, and the 2nd one was the "leave me the fuck alone" angry looking cat. She would glare at you as if she were secretly trying to develop the ability to shoot laserbeams out of her eyes and destroy you. They both got along very well though.

Cat-death-glare GO!

attachment.php

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
She would glare at you as if she were secretly trying to develop the ability to shoot laserbeams out of her eyes and destroy you.

...Cat-death-glare GO!
]

She just needed more practice...

And once they learn how to do it. You need good fire insurance....:D

Img_4383sm.jpg

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Um, the hairless kitties are not good for allergies at all. In fact, they are higher maintenance then you might imagine - the skin's oil collects and gives off a funky, mushroomy smell which alerts the owner that it is time to bathe the cat. These cats need regular bathing as part of their most basic care regimen.

I agree, from conversations with owners, that Bengals have a very steep learning curve. Whatever, as this is your first feline, they may not be the best breed for beginners.

Sunny Ghost

if you only plan on having one cat, i think any aged cat will work. i have 6 (i know... i'm a crazy cat lady), and the cats that are introduced at an older age don't adjust as well to the other cats.

i have seen short haired maincoons. i supposed they are a mixed variety of some sort, but still large! my friend found one at a shelter.

also, i have a friend that is highly allergic to cats, but the more she becomes familiar with a particular cat, the less allergic she is to it. it's weird.

with another friend, she was only allergic to dark haired cats. she could pet my white and orange cats all day long, but my darker cats couldn't come anywhere near here without making her eyes tear or sneezy.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Two cats are good. They keep each other company. Also their antics are very entertaining, especially if they are well bonded with each other. My parents have two cats that get along well. My sister has a pair of litter mates (both male). They had to be adopted as a pair because they are inseparable. They are beautiful large cats who do everything together. They are fun to watch.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
whatever, did you ever get that (those) cat(s)? Inquiring minds and all. :)

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The picture quality leaves much to be desired...but I think I'm in love!

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
:laugh: I was trying to get a quick picture of them while they were squirming around in low lighting with my phone, which probably explains that!

We're trying to get them to come out of the guest room, where they seem to have taken up residence :doh:

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Get a siamese. Clean, short fur so they shouldn't have a strong allergic effect, and they're full of personality and great fun. They aren't exactly "lap cats." They'll chase you, grab you and play with you. Not the same way a dog would play, but for a cat, I don't think you can do much better than siamese. They're also very affectionate cats, and the second-most intelligent breed of all.

Edit: I see others have already mentioned siamese. Well, if more than one person likes them, there must be something to it, eh?

Edit 2: So apparently I'm way too late and you already got a couple cats. Nevermind. :D