First 23456 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Get one like the one in my avatar. You can name him Mr. Bigglesworth and freak out your friends while not having to worry about your allergies.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    The half-breed domestic/wild cats are bigger, and very attractive, but I remember reading about them once and often they have behavioral issues. Did your friend's have any issues like that, Patches? I think it was things like spraying, destructive play (say goodbye to your upholstered furniture, etc.). "Regular" domestic breeds/mutts can have those issues too, of course, but they tend to be more accommodated to living with people.
    The only thing I know of, is that they had to buy 1-2 of those "climbing trees" because the cats like to be up high. Otherwise they were climbing up the furniture. Her cat is also really attached to ONLY her. The cat will follow her around, greet her at the door, etc, but it won't do that for the husband or other people. I don't know if thats a result of her being the only person in the house that spoils it, or if it's typical of the breed to only attach itself to one person.

Everything I've read online says that as long as you get one that is several generations in (ie, not directly from an asian leopard parent) their temperament is no different from any other domestic cat. Ive been looking into them for a few years and Ive never seen anything that would turn me off to the idea of owning one.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Get one like the one in my avatar. You can name him Mr. Bigglesworth and freak out your friends while not having to worry about your allergies.

Looks like shar pei puppies

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

How about getting two cats? Maybe even litter mates? My sister has two cats, who are brothers and littermates. They are short haired cats and they are both very large and red. They are easy going cats and they keep each other company when my sister is not home.
    Last edited by Walking Tourist; 11-15-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: needed to add information
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    yupp

my friend has two cats who open cabinets when she's away, she had to get child locks put on all her cabinets. but cat's are great, you should get one. I want one, but can't have one
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ISTP

I just so happen to have the pic link already in the ole buffer from another thread.

I have a Bengal:

As I noted in that thread, they ARE pretty demanding. For all of the hyperbole I've heard from people talking about their cats, I had kind of downplayed the advertised difference in personalities... BUT, now that I can talk with some experience, they definitely are different than your standard domestic cat. I guess you could say more 'doglike', but I think the thing is that they're more attentive/interactive. I also have a domestic, and she is off in her Normal Cat life-is-a-constant-trip world. She'll stare at random spots on the wall for long periods of time with that, "Like... whoah..." look on her face.

Neko the Bengal, on the other hand, will spend most of his time staring directly at the people of the room and/or trying to interact with them. Occasionally, this involves showing off and/or destroying things and/or trying to creatively kill himself with athletic House Cougar leaps that are less than thoughtfully planned out.

Bengals are the SP's of the Cat World.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Don't get a Maine Coon, Bengal or even a Siamese. The animal welfare specials are actually more ideal in my opinion in terms of intelligence, domesticatability and lack of talking every 2 minutes when the cat doesn't get its way.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Don't get a Maine Coon, Bengal or even a Siamese. The animal welfare specials are actually more ideal in my opinion in terms of intelligence, domesticatability and lack of talking every 2 minutes when the cat doesn't get its way.
    Yeah, I don't recommend getting a Bengal unless you're really prepared to have a WHOLE lot of cat. They're highly intelligent attention whores with little impulse control. Kinda like having a perpetual four-year-old rampaging through the house... one that can leap on top of the fridge/bookcase/bannister/your face standing up.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Get two cats, I say, so they can keep one another company when you're both gone. Less emotional responsibility, seriously, though you'll have to buy more food it's not significant enough that it will really cost you that much money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

What marmalade.sunrise said.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari