• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

pumpkin pie

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
eeek I've made my very first pumpkin pie today, to be honest with you, its only the second time I've cooked pumkin ever (having made soup last year - Scots are big on soups).

Well it's in the oven, and the mixture looked very liqidy when I put it in, but it says to cook it for an hour, so I will see how I get on.

thought I would share, maybe you guys with a lot more experience of pumkin can share nice things to make, it would be good to get soem savoury ideas as well as desert.

Lis :)

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I love pumpkin so much, especially pie my room mate said he knows how to make pumpkin stew I might see if i buy the ingredients if he'll make it.

Jaguar

Why not buy one, instead? I love pumpkin pie, and buy it all the time. Oh, and Pumpkin bread is magnificent. I buy anything made with pumpkin.
Nice to see you again, Tink. :hi:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
it's supposed to look rather liquidy when it goes in the oven... pumpkin pie filling is somewhat of a custard type mixture and baking it sets the filling to the consistancy that you wish for it to be. My sis makes pumpkin pie from actual pumpkins... I make it from pie filling and it turns out just as well :)

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
Yes, pumpkin pie is a custard type pie. It's one of my favorites, along with my mother's apple pie, which she makes with scandalous amounts of cinnamon, just for me.

I'm going home to Montana on Thursday. Woot! Pie time!

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cool, enjoy! I did this last year, turned out great. I ended up using all the good ingredients, cream real butter for the handmade crust. Figured if I'm going to put some effort in, I'm going all the way. It was awesome.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
yea! It seemed to work, going to freeze some of it. OK so its suppose to be custardy. I made it quite thin so it took less cooking than expected. Still it tastes OK, I'm a little concerned that there feels to be more sugar in it than pumkin :) well maybe thats a slight exageration. thanks for all your replies

Jag, I live in the UK, pumkin pie is not easy to come by, good to see you too.

I'm feeling quite proud of myself, I am going to roast the seeds too. I like efficent veggies where you can eat it all.

Thanks do post some other recipies if you have them

Lisa

gromit

likes this
YUMMMMMMMMM... :drool: I looooooooove pumpkin pie. I bought a huge pumpkin at a farm stand the other week. I'm going to roast it and make some soup and pie and muffins and maybe bread? I made these pumpkin oatmeal cookies last week.

I LOVE PUMPKIN.

I love this thread too, tinkerbell. Thanks for starting it. And everything whatever said goes with my experience of making pumpkin pie.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
yea! It seemed to work, going to freeze some of it. OK so its suppose to be custardy. I made it quite thin so it took less cooking than expected. Still it tastes OK, I'm a little concerned that there feels to be more sugar in it than pumkin :) well maybe thats a slight exageration. thanks for all your replies

I'm feeling quite proud of myself, I am going to roast the seeds too. I like efficent veggies where you can eat it all.

Lisa

boil them in salt water first, so the salt goes all the way through instead of just being on top, plus you can use less salt.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

Lisa

boil them in salt water first, so the salt goes all the way through instead of just being on top, plus you can use less salt.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
This is one of my favorite, non dessert uses for pumpkin.

BEEFY-MUSHROOM SOUP
2 pounds ground beef
1 small onion, chopped, 2 1/2 ounces
1 clove garlic, minced
16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
15 ounces canned pumpkin
14 ounce can beef broth or 2 cups homemade beef broth
2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup dry white wine or water
1-2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon pepper

In a 6-8 quart pot, brown the ground beef along with the onion, mushrooms and garlic; drain the fat. If using canned broth, add water to make 2 cups. Add the pumpkin to the ground beef mixture; blend well then add the broth and bouillon. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 20-30 minutes. Add the cream and wine or water; simmer 10-15 minutes longer. Adjust the seasoning, if needed.

Makes about 8 cups or eight 1-cup servings
Can be frozen but the mushrooms may get a little rubbery