User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 25

  1. #1
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default Anyone have any good recipes using saffron?

    I have a pretty substantial amount of ground saffron from a spice set I purchased while at a spice market in Turkey a few yrs back, and I realize now that I may have waited too long to use it but I should still try using it anyway.

    I've never cooked anything with saffron in it before.

    Does anyone have any recipes or suggestions on how I should use it?
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  2. #2

    Default

    I have a great recipe for risotto alla milanese, which uses saffron. I've made this a few times and it's great. It's traditionally served with osso bucco, but it's great with asparagus or shredded chicken on top too.

    Usually saffron comes in tiny threads...I've never seen it ground up, so the amount of saffron to use might be affected a bit. Always be conservative when estimating saffron, it's quite strong.

    Creamy Saffron Risotto Recipe - D'Orazio Food Events | Food & Wine

    A pinch of saffron is also great in soups and stews.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  3. #3
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I have a great recipe for risotto alla milanese, which uses saffron. I've made this a few times and it's great. It's traditionally served with osso bucco, but it's great with asparagus or shredded chicken on top too.

    Usually saffron comes in tiny threads...I've never seen it ground up, so the amount of saffron to use might be affected a bit. Always be conservative when estimating saffron, it's quite strong.

    Creamy Saffron Risotto Recipe - D'Orazio Food Events | Food & Wine
    Awesome!! Thank you.

    Yeah..I'll have to do some research to see what the ground saffron will equate to when comparing to the saffron threads..... I'm sure the ground isn't nearly is high quality, and might be adulterated with other things too for all I know.

    Edit: Looks like 1/2 tsp threads = 1/4 tsp powder/ground. But, since my stuff is so old and now less potent, I'd probably want to bump the amt up? Or maybe it's not that it's less potent it's just that the flavor will have gone south. Hmm. Well, as you suggest, it's probably better to go conservative than too much.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  4. #4
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    Arroz con pollos, paella and cioppino all use saffron in a delicious way.

    It's hard to say how much saffron to use reliant on grade of saffron, even if it's a little less potent due to time. IMO, rule of thumb for high grade saffron would be less is better.

  5. #5
    nee andante bechimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    8,025

    Default

    Oops, forgot to post recipe. All measurements and cooking times are approximate.

    -----------------------------------

    Arroz con Pollo

    Ingredients:

    2 lbs chicken breast
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/16 tsp paprika
    Olive oil

    1/2 medium finely chopped sweet onion
    Olive oil

    1 minced garlic clove
    1 1/4 c homemade chicken broth (if store bought use low sodium - do not use bullion cubes or packages. The flavour to these is ick and there’s way too much salt.)
    1.5 c diced ripe tomatoes (if unripe, compensate with some additional chicken broth and a pinch of sugar)
    1/16 - 1/8 tsp high or medium grade saffron
    1/4 tsp basil
    1 bay leaf (dispose after done.)

    1 c long grain rice

    Preparation:

    Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, then brown in some olive oil.

    Drain oil and place chicken in a large casserole.

    Sauté onion in some olive oil.

    Then add garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes and seasoning, stirring until it's well mixed and simmering for a very short while.

    Add rice and bring to a boil. Pour over chicken. Cover tightly and bake for 35 min at 350 degrees. Uncover, toss rice, bake for another 15 min.

    ------------------------------------

    Leftovers freeze well and can be microwaved from frozen to ready to eat, if frozen into individual servings.

  6. #6
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I don't have a recipe, but I love indian sweet rice with saffron.
    -end of thread-

  7. #7
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Oops, forgot to post recipe. All measurements and cooking times are approximate.

    -----------------------------------

    Arroz con Pollo

    Ingredients:

    2 lbs chicken breast
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/16 tsp paprika
    Olive oil

    1/2 medium finely chopped sweet onion
    Olive oil

    1 minced garlic clove
    1 1/4 c homemade chicken broth (if store bought use low sodium - do not use bullion cubes or packages. The flavour to these is ick and there’s way too much salt.)
    1.5 c diced ripe tomatoes (if unripe, compensate with some additional chicken broth and a pinch of sugar)
    1/16 - 1/8 tsp high or medium grade saffron
    1/4 tsp basil
    1 bay leaf (dispose after done.)

    1 c long grain rice

    Preparation:

    Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, then brown in some olive oil.

    Drain oil and place chicken in a large casserole.

    Sauté onion in some olive oil.

    Then add garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes and seasoning, stirring until it's well mixed and simmering for a very short while.

    Add rice and bring to a boil. Pour over chicken. Cover tightly and bake for 35 min at 350 degrees. Uncover, toss rice, bake for another 15 min.

    ------------------------------------

    Leftovers freeze well and can be microwaved from frozen to ready to eat, if frozen into individual servings.
    YUMMY. Will try this after my next grocery trip!!!! Thanks.

    EffEm - Am cooking yours tonight!! We shall see whether my saffron works or not!!!!

    (And if it doesn't, I'll just have to buy some genuine saffron threads because these recipes are making my mouth water!)
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  8. #8

    Default

    BTW, Cascade...that recipe makes a LOT. And risotto just does not reheat well at all, it gets totally gross. So two things I like to make with the leftovers are arancini and risotto cakes. These are leftovers that taste so good that it's reason enough to make the dish to begin with.

    Risotto Cakes
    Arancini
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  9. #9
    4x9 cascadeco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    4 so/sp
    Posts
    6,931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    BTW, Cascade...that recipe makes a LOT. And risotto just does not reheat well at all, it gets totally gross. So two things I like to make with the leftovers are arancini and risotto cakes. These are leftovers that taste so good that it's reason enough to make the dish to begin with.

    Risotto Cakes
    Arancini
    Ooh, a way to make the risotto even more delectably unhealthy and scrumptious!!! The only thing I lack for those recipes is an easy way to divide the egg whites/yolk.

    Ah, that's a shame it doesn't reheat well... I wasn't aware of that and had planned on 2-3 more meals with it!! I'll still try it, but have taken note that it'll get totally gross.

    Cooked it last night, btw....WOW, so wonderful!!! That recipe was great; very easy to follow, and it was my first time ever making risotto and it turned out well. It would be interesting seeing the difference between different types of wine used... I used some pinot grigio that had been sitting, open, in my fridge for about a month just awaiting a cooking need. Anyway, it was fantastic with the pinot grigio.

    What type of wine do you usually cook with?
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

    My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

  10. #10
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Oops, forgot to post recipe. All measurements and cooking times are approximate.

    -----------------------------------

    Arroz con Pollo

    Ingredients:

    2 lbs chicken breast
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/16 tsp paprika
    Olive oil

    1/2 medium finely chopped sweet onion
    Olive oil

    1 minced garlic clove
    1 1/4 c homemade chicken broth (if store bought use low sodium - do not use bullion cubes or packages. The flavour to these is ick and there’s way too much salt.)
    1.5 c diced ripe tomatoes (if unripe, compensate with some additional chicken broth and a pinch of sugar)
    1/16 - 1/8 tsp high or medium grade saffron
    1/4 tsp basil
    1 bay leaf (dispose after done.)

    1 c long grain rice

    Preparation:

    Season chicken with salt, pepper and paprika, then brown in some olive oil.

    Drain oil and place chicken in a large casserole.

    Sauté onion in some olive oil.

    Then add garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes and seasoning, stirring until it's well mixed and simmering for a very short while.

    Add rice and bring to a boil. Pour over chicken. Cover tightly and bake for 35 min at 350 degrees. Uncover, toss rice, bake for another 15 min.

    ------------------------------------

    Leftovers freeze well and can be microwaved from frozen to ready to eat, if frozen into individual servings.
    this looks so good, I should buy some saffron and make this, I feel like its something everyone in this apartment would like.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone got any good cheap book suggestions?
    By Frosty in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-10-2016, 08:44 AM
  2. Does anyone have a good exercise to identify the right cognitive functions?
    By Flybylikeahurricane in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-04-2015, 03:20 PM
  3. Anyone know any good spreadsheets?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-23-2015, 06:42 PM
  4. Anyone know any good places online to play battle chess?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2015, 01:45 PM
  5. Know any good vegetarian/vegan recipes?
    By TK* in forum Home, Garden and Nature
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 03:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO